Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Dining

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2002, 11:05 AM   #1
Grands
Branson's "Biggest" fan

Here's our restaurant review

Our Restaurant review:

Shorty Smallís-TOO MUCH FOOD!!!!!! We started with the onion blossom. We should have stopped right there! Then I had a turkey Croissant and it was melt in your mouth good, just enough for two mouths. Our son had the chicken fried steak which is his favorite meal in the world and I thought he would finish it off, but he couldnít! Hubby had BBQ brisket and loved it. He did finish his dinner. Daughter-in-love had some kind of smothered chicken on rice. She said it was great, but just toooo much for us to finish. Even granddaughterís kid plate had more then I think an adult could finish.

The Shack-We all really liked it. Granddaughter loved her hot dog! Hubby loved the chicken, I just had a hamburger with nothing else after Shorty Smalls. Hubby is going back for some pie. He said he never saw meringue that high! Daughter-in-love said fries were like a 50ís dinerís fries, long and thin. I didnít have any. We would all go there again.

Grand Country Buffet or the joke in our family is BUFFETTT. We always go to Buffetttís that is what my granddaughter says. We donít eat breakfast usually, but all of the buddies and my hubby seemed to enjoy their breakfast. We stepped out to try new places for the board!! and didnít make it back for lunch on our trip. This is still our favorite lunch buffet. There was a whole lot of orange juice going on! I think someone was drinking for two.

The Chateau Grille was a disappointment for me. I looked forward to trying it. I have eaten at several of John Q Hammons resorts and hotels around the country. I was expecting more. Yes, the food was elegant to the extreme, but no table cloths surprised me. A hard plastic place mat just didnít fit the room. The tables were turned at the wrong angle for us to see out on the lake. So it was ignore the beautiful view or strain your neck. I had free range chicken and it was excellent in taste. We thought the menu was rather limited. I donít like fish and I canít have pork. After the Gault House in Louisville Kentucky, I was expecting more. My sister and her husband both had Filet Mignon and my husband had the pork Loin. When you have a husband that raises our own beef, and makes melt in your mouth steaks, we donít often have one when we dine out.

THE TOP OF THE ROCK was just the opposite, Everything fit the room. Casual, yet elegant. HEY who forgot to tell me about the Native American theme, Marjorie???????? I want all of those bronzes for my collection!!!!!! Food was great, view by the window out to the lake was great, the staff was all so friendly!!!!! I guess this was my most enjoyable dining experience on this trip. This was a perfect anniversary lunch. We arrived at 11 a.m., which is a perfect time to get a table to view the lake! By noon the place was completely full. Now we tried the olive oil with balsamic vinegar and brown sugar for our bread, but neither of us cared for it at all. I noticed most people seemed to really enjoy it. We loved the outside lights with the Indian scenes. I must go back and see them lit. We have commented for 32 years now that we should have gotten married the next weekend. We are always a week early for the fall leaves. There were just hints of color. It should be perfect by next weekend.

The Friendship House was really great. We both had open faced roast beef sandwiches.
EXCELLENT beef! Our waitress was very interesting and was from Bulgaria. The homemade bread certainly added to the taste of one of our favorite lunches. We will try the Sunday buffet(TT) some time for sure.

Little Sarahís at the Branson Meadow Mall. We did it. I told Jeremy that I would tell you it was the very best, if he would tell you that I was young, cute, and slim! I see he hasnít posted yet, but it was very good. My hubby recommends the chicken melt. I think this would be the perfect hangout for kids. No alcohol and it looks like they are going to have karaoke before long. Jeremy I hope your boss appreciates your enthusiasm! (Funniest thing happened in front of this place. Here I am going on and on about handing our coupons for our theatre. Jimmy Osmondís American Jukebox van stopped and gave us a quiz. We each knew the answer. We won 30 dollars in coupons to various restaurants and shows, plus 10.00 off our tickets to see the show. I told the guy it was our anniversary and we were trying to decide what to do for the evening and he gave us front row seats. I am telling you handing out coupons is very important!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Pappa Grandís Pizza. It was good, didnít sit as well during a show as other things I had.
It was about like CiCiís pizza in Springfield as far as taste goes. Good varity of pizza on the buffet. Of course I had to get a coupon in there sometime during the trip.

Starvin Marvinís was our least favorite meal during this trip. No cream gravy for the biscuits???? Have they not heard of the Ozarks? I should have had the Cashew Chicken!

The Pasta Grill still one of our favorites. The Pasta Wench was not there. She is ready to have her baby. I could tell she wasnít there as it was very very slow! I was glad we werenít on our way to a show that night. It wasnít to busy when we ordered, but about 40 minutes later a table of 16 came in and I wondered how long it took them to get their food. We missed the potatoes they always had before, but the garlic mashed potatoes were good too. Hey if the Pasta Wench ever has time to read our board again after baby no. 6, we met you when we first came to the restaurant after you opened. When they told me your name, I remembered meeting you before. This is still one of our most enjoyable restaurants in Branson. We love Chicken Parmigiano! I think we like this restaurant better then our Pasta House in Springfield.

We had to have our Subway fix while there. There is a new one right across from the side of the Stonehill winery. They took our coupons even though their address was not listed.

Sorry this is so long, just think if we ate dessert how long it would be!
Old 10-10-2002, 12:07 PM   #2
bransoncutie
Spectacular Ultra Member

Great review Iva!! Man, my mouth is watering big time!!! Of course, it doesn't help that it's after 1pm and I've still not had lunch!!

I also love the chicken at The Shack!! And fried chicken is my favorite meal in the world.

Shorty Small's is definitely a lot of food for the money, and that's a good thing. Especially since it's such good food.

I want to go to Top of the Rock -- sounds wonderful!! I am glad I haven't gone to Chateau. Doesn't sound like I will any time soon, either! (I also am one to order something besides beef as my dad raised beef and you just can't beat it!!)

Isn't Pasta Grill great? I am looking forward to getting back there soon.

Of course, I think the BEST meal had to be the breakfast at Grand Country BUFFETTT!!!! If for no other reason than the company!!! Yes, there was a lot of oj going down, wasn't there?

Sounds like a great time Iva! I was glad to get to share part of it with you!! And congrats on the front row tickets for Jimmy's show!!
Old 10-10-2002, 12:16 PM   #3
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

GREAT REVIEW.......but I can hardly type....not only because you made me hungry....but my tongue is laying on my keyboard, after passing in front of my eye teeth, and I cannot see what I am saying............

I wish I stayed in Branson long enuff to eat at all those places....that is alot of goooooood food...yummmmmmmmmmm.
Old 10-10-2002, 02:38 PM   #4
OkieAnon

Iva, enjoyed all of your reviews.... BUT .... NO GRAVY! what are those folks at starvin marvins yankees or something, can't have a meal without gravy. perhaps they should have their license revoked.
Old 10-10-2002, 07:34 PM   #5
scissortail
~*~*~*~*~*~

I enjoyed reading your reviews, Iva!

I'm hoping to make it out to Top of the Rock, on this trip!
We've meant to, the last few trips, but never did.
With the color in the hills, it sounds like this would be a perfect time to go!
Old 10-10-2002, 09:18 PM   #6
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

This thread should come with a warning: It will make you hungry!

Tooo goood, I read it first during lunch...I looked down at my meager meal of soup and really felt deprived!

I'm reading it again before bedtime...and I know what I'll be dreaming of.

One question...Where is this Shorty Small's?

Suselit
Old 10-10-2002, 09:19 PM   #7
Grands
Branson's "Biggest" fan

The turn off to Top of the Rock ...

Is six miles past the stop light to turn to School of the Ozarks. I was just about to give up and think I had missed it when we got there. It is worth the drive!!!!

Last edited by Grands; 10-12-2002 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-12-2002, 11:13 PM   #8
Avonlady

Iva,
Is the top of the rock on the road that goes into Big Cedar?Haven't been out there for several years and don't remember seeing it.Always go to the Devils Pool.Gotta try several of the places you went to Betty
Old 10-13-2002, 08:42 AM   #9
Grands
Branson's "Biggest" fan

It is before that.

This huge place used to be M Graham Clark's home. He was the President of School of the Ozarks for many years. Just before you get there on the opposite side of the road is a huge sign saying it is just ahead. I think the road just before it is M Graham Clark road. Then Top of the Rock Road turns right if you are coming south from Branson.
Old 10-19-2002, 01:51 PM   #10
bransonboi21

Here's myreview

Thank you for the excellent review. And yes she is telling thetruth when she says she is young,slim and beautiful. If only she was single . Well gotta get back to work, we are gettin ready for christmas and karaoke.!!! Yahooo Karaoke on the 25th from7 till midnight!!!
Old 10-19-2002, 05:55 PM   #11
Grands
Branson's "Biggest" fan

This guy IS a born salesman!!!!

I hope his boss appreciates all his hard work!! Guys, still young and ready to have fun, this will be a great hangout!!!!!
Old 10-21-2002, 09:00 AM   #12
egrogan

Lightbulb

My lightbulb just hasn't clicked on yet.......I can't figure out where Top Of The Rock is. What highway is it on? I know where Big Cedar Lodge is, is this restaurant on the same highway?
Old 10-21-2002, 10:07 AM   #13
Grands
Branson's "Biggest" fan

It is just off of 65 highway.

You go south through the stoplight where you would turn to go to the School of the Ozarks. Don't turn, just stay on 65 for 6 miles south of that stop light and then turn onto Top of the Rock Road it is just a short way off of 65 highway.
Old 10-21-2002, 11:15 AM   #14
egrogan

Thank you so much! I'm going to try it - It sounds fantastic!
Old 10-21-2002, 12:38 PM   #15
Grands
Branson's "Biggest" fan

Remember Top of the Rock will take Dinner reservations

We went at 11 a.m just when they opened and enjoyed the table by the window to look out at the timber and down on the lake. They had a fire built just down below us and it was a very enjoyable time as well as very good food. We really like the decor since I collect Native American items and my husband has started a Remington collection. I don't believe they were REmingotns there, but certainly reminded me of his Mountain Man statue. I hope you enjoy as much as we did.

Closed Thread