1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Miscellaneous Topics > Movies/TV/Books/Music

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
Branson Bluesman
Banned

'Sister Wives' family to challenge Utah bigamy law

I have to say...I think this is the most disgusting show on TV. And worst of all, is that these people have made a lot of $$ from it. Shame on TLC for ever putting this trash on the air.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/sister-wive...ry?id=14051846
Personally, I hope they all do the maximum amount of jail time allowable by law.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:51 AM   #2
Crazy4Branson
Super Ultra Member

In my opinion........the "husband", "Kody"/Koby(?) is just creepy........

& the women are totally insane........
Old 07-12-2011, 10:53 AM   #3
Branson Bluesman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Branson View Post
In my opinion........the "husband", "Kody"/Koby(?) is just creepy........

& the women are totally insane........
I agree 100%. Creepy. This Kody dude needs to be taken out back...

Old 07-12-2011, 11:01 AM   #4
Crazy4Branson
Super Ultra Member

I have watched only 15 minutes of 1 show. That was all I could handle. There was something about him & the fact that he was always "smiling", like he was trying to cover up "something".....

I often wonder WHY??????? would anyone want more than 1
"spouse"?????

I loved & miss my husband dearly, but, would not have wanted 2 of him...
Old 07-12-2011, 11:05 AM   #5
Dixielou
Branson Local

I think most, if not all, his wives grew up in a polygamist household so this is all they know.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:08 AM   #6
Branson Bluesman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixielou View Post
I think most, if not all, his wives grew up in a polygamist household so this is all they know.
maybe, but that doesn't make it any less illegal....
Old 07-12-2011, 02:19 PM   #7
Ms_Terese
Local Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branson Bluesman View Post
maybe, but that doesn't make it any less illegal....
He only has one "legal" wife. They can live any way they want to ...... can't legislate morality.

If they're going to go after him for "co-habitating with someone other than the spouse", they better be prepared to go after the thousands of married couples who are living with someone else while still legally married.

If that's the lifestyle that consenting adults have chosen, I think it's a huge waste of resources for law enforcement to get involved.

Last edited by Ms_Terese; 07-12-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:35 AM   #8
nadineB
Banned

Polygamy is a marriage which includes more than two partners. It is accepted by law depending on the state, country and religion.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:18 AM   #9
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

Quote:
Polygamy is defined as the practice or condition of having more than one spouse at the same time, conventionally referring to a situation where all spouses know about each other, in contrast to bigamy, where two or more spouses are usually unaware of each other.
Quote:
Bigamy is the act or condition of a person marrying another person while still being lawfully married to a second person and it is illegal in the United States. The crime is punishable either by a fine, imprisonment, or both, according to the law of the individual state and the circumstances of the offense.

According to the Model Penal Code (section 230.1) bigamy is a misdemeanor, but having more than one spouse at the same time is a felony if it is done "in purported exercise of a plural marriage..."
Source

Quote:
Cohabitation: A living arrangement in which an unmarried couple lives together in a long-term relationship that resembles a marriage.

Couples cohabit, rather than marry, for a variety of reasons. They may want to test their compatibility before they commit to a legal union. They may want to maintain their single status for financial reasons. In some cases, such as those involving gay or lesbian couples, or individuals already married to another person, the law does not allow them to marry. In other cases, the partners may feel that marriage is unnecessary. Whatever the reasons, between 1970 and 1990, the number of couples living together outside of marriage quadrupled, from 523,000 to nearly 3 million. These couples face some of the same legal issues as married couples, as well as some issues that their married friends need never consider.

In most places, it is legal for unmarried people to live together, although some Zoning laws prohibit more than three unrelated people from inhabiting a house or apartment. A few states still prohibit fornication, or sexual relations between an unmarried man and woman, but such laws are no longer enforced. Even in the early twenty-first century, some states continue to prohibit Sodomy, which includes sexual relations between people of the same sex. Although these laws are rarely enforced, the U. S. Supreme Court upheld the constitutionality of these sodomy statutes as applied to same-sex couples in Bowers v. Hardwick, 478 U.S. 186, 106 S. Ct. 2841, 92 L. Ed. 2d 140 (1986). The Court reconsidered the same issue 17 years later, however, and decided that a Texas sodomy law that applied specifically to homosexual conduct violated the due process clause of the Fourteenth Amendment (lawrence v. texas, 539 U.S. ___, 123 S. Ct. 2472,156 L. Ed. 2d 508 [2003]). Advocates of Gay and Lesbian Rights viewed the case as a victory for their cause
More at Source

Last edited by Cheesecake; 07-20-2011 at 04:37 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:26 AM   #10
CHRISTISAM2001
El Grando Branson Lover

I watch this show, and kindof like it. I watch because I liked watching Big Love that was on HBO. Just curious about the life style and curious how a woman can share her dh with 3 other women. But I know that most of them were raised in that type of lifestyle.

My husband wont watch it with me, but then he wont much that I like to watch...like Horders, AGT, Toddlers and Tiaras lol....

On a lighter note, I do LOVE Swamp people!!
Old 07-20-2011, 10:14 AM   #11
TJefferson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Terese View Post
He only has one "legal" wife. They can live any way they want to ...... can't legislate morality.

If they're going to go after him for "co-habitating with someone other than the spouse", they better be prepared to go after the thousands of married couples who are living with someone else while still legally married.

If that's the lifestyle that consenting adults have chosen, I think it's a huge waste of resources for law enforcement to get involved.
Good point. The world has way too many problems to worry about. Before our government spends all it's time and money going after people who aren't hurting anyone they may want to throw a few bucks towards keeping our prisons open and not releasing so many people (who do hurt others) back into the community early just because of budget shortfalls. If our government has all this extra money laying around they might want to consider hiring a few more prosecutors as well.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:23 AM   #12
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

So morally he is sort of on the edge, but legally, he should be okay if he has his ''legal documents'' in order.

He is legally married to one.
He is co-habiting with the others.
She and all the shes are cohabiting with each other...also same sex cohabiting is legal ...

And, I can't see how they can go after them as exposing children/minors to an alternate life style, because people of the same sex can marry in some states and adopt children.

What are they going to try and ''get him on''? Tax evasion ???
Old 07-20-2011, 10:28 AM   #13
TJefferson
Banned

And on this same point I could point out that I spent a career working in neighborhoods where it was the norm for young men to have several "Baby Mamma's". Never married to any, these mamma's were not only free from prosecution by our government for their actions but actually received government checks every month along with taxpayer provided health care, housing and food! What's wrong with this picture?
Old 07-20-2011, 10:39 AM   #14
Branson Bluesman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJefferson View Post
Good point. The world has way too many problems to worry about.
There ya go....
Let's just go with the "anything goes" theory.
And...while we're at it, let's just legalize all narcotics, same sex marriage, and anything else we can think of.
No point in trying to live any different from a bunch of animals.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:48 AM   #15
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

Yup...they are turning our USA into a world of animals.

Same sex marriage is legal in many many places.

Medical dope is legal in many places.

Also two men or two women can adopt a child and be the mother and father.

The few places where these laws are in place are setting precedent for more places to seek similar laws.

We are in the midst of confusion and unreliable people who have mixed emotions re: morals and ethics and rights. It appears the ''old ways'' are losing this war of propriety to ''whats new and fun and exciting, and totally against what Grandma and Grandpa would do...''.........

Closed Thread