1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Dining

Old 09-27-2020, 02:50 PM   #1
Branson Junkie
Super Ultra Member

Pizza Recommendation

We're looking for a pizza recommendation in Branson. We've tried Hook & Ladder and weren't impressed, and we're not up for the chains. Years ago there was a pizza place here that we loved, but we can't remember the name. It was once located in a strip mall near the Welk Resort, and it was also in a small spot in the former KMart Plaza. I think they advertised their pizza as St. Louis Style. We're not looking for anything unusual, just a place that does their thing well and offers a crust that's well done - preferably one that the person in charge is watching to see when it's done rather than waiting for it to run through the little assembly line belt and pop out the other end. Thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited by Branson Junkie; 09-27-2020 at 02:52 PM. Reason: grammar errors
Branson Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 04:55 PM   #2
biscuitcreek
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branson Junkie View Post
We're looking for a pizza recommendation in Branson. We've tried Hook & Ladder and weren't impressed, and we're not up for the chains. Years ago there was a pizza place here that we loved, but we can't remember the name. It was once located in a strip mall near the Welk Resort, and it was also in a small spot in the former KMart Plaza. I think they advertised their pizza as St. Louis Style. We're not looking for anything unusual, just a place that does their thing well and offers a crust that's well done - preferably one that the person in charge is watching to see when it's done rather than waiting for it to run through the little assembly line belt and pop out the other end. Thanks for the suggestions.
I know who you are talking about in the old KMart Plaza, think it was Luigi's. I think they were bought out by Pizza World on the Strip near the Tracks. Have you tried Pizza by the Chef in Hollister by Country Mart or the one in Branson West? Or have you tried Reeds Spring Pizza in Reeds Spring? Or Mister G's in downtown Branson. Or Mister Gilberti's in Hollister? Those aren't chains.
biscuitcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:08 PM   #3
Branson Junkie
Super Ultra Member

Luigi's is the correct name. Pizza World is nothing like Luigi's. Sorry to hear they sold out to them. We'll try Pizza By the Chef in Hollister. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:23 PM   #4
leftsaidted
Super Ultra Member

Don't leave town without trying Mr G's! Great pizza...shaved ice sodas, cold beer, and an atmosphere once you step into its darkened interior akin to an old time speakeasy. IMO, what a pizza joint should be...
leftsaidted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:19 PM   #5
travelerdeb

Our favorite pizza is Rocco’s.
travelerdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:04 AM   #6
Darbecca
Ultra Member

We love Rocco's. Try their calzones.
Darbecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:59 AM   #7
sanddunerider
Super Ultra Member

Mr. G's, Rocco's, Reed Springs, and Mr, Gilberti's all locally owned and sell very good Pizza.. Wont go wrong at either location
Old 09-28-2020, 09:32 PM   #8
Branson Junkie
Super Ultra Member

We've decided to try Mr. G's later this week.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:38 AM   #9
bransoncutie
Spectacular Ultra Member

Me. G’s is good. Rocco’s is even better!!
bransoncutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:16 PM   #10
leftsaidted
Super Ultra Member

Rocco’s IS very good...if you like New York style thin crispy crust, which I do. Mr. G’s is Chicago style deep pan, although you can order thin crust if you wish, but the thin crust there is not as good as Rocco’s thin crust. However, besides the food, the dining area ambience are also important, imo. And there is where I enjoy Mr G’s over Rocco’s. Nothing wrong with Rocco’s, it feels akin to walking into an Italian familys house, and eating dinner. Which is good also, at times. But, Mr G’s has that good old time Chicago speakeasy feel to its interior, which I prefer. Dark, intimate, and private. Back years ago, there were quite a few pizza joints like that, but most have gone the way of most independent restaurants, victims of the massive non ending pizza chain advertising budgets. So, both places have great pizza, different styles, both have their own unique dining area, again, different styles. Always fun to try both over a few days, if possible, and decide on your favorite.
leftsaidted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:44 PM   #11
k-2
Ultra Member

Location for Rocco's??
k-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:35 AM   #12
Darbecca
Ultra Member

Rocco's is at 2722 State Highway 248.
Darbecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:19 PM   #13
RevRick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branson Junkie View Post
Luigi's is the correct name. Pizza World is nothing like Luigi's. Sorry to hear they sold out to them. We'll try Pizza By the Chef in Hollister. Thanks for the suggestions.
Turns out Luigi's didn't sell out to Pizza World. There was an article I read where the owner said that he was closing because he simply could no longer compete with the "chain restaurants" and stay profitable. Thus, the decision to close. He opened the 'Mosaic Grill" (at the intersection of hwy. 248 and Gretna about that same time. Didn't last too long, and he closed that one too. In the interview he said that he wouldn't rule out opening another Luigi's at a later date. I sure wish he would .... They had a home-made (poppyseed) salad dressing that was the "bomb"! At one juncture they had a Luigi's at the location next to K-Mart on hwy.248 and another one on the south side of hwy.76 in the vicinity of White Water.
RevRick is offline   Reply With Quote