1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Attractions

Old 02-03-2020, 12:34 AM   #1
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Silver Anvil Metal Crafts

I finally took time to check this place out. Located in the added section of stores at the landing across the parking lt from Paula Deens, and Belks.
The owner, Joe Smith is really a nice guy. Forged in Fire finalist, and master bladesmith.
I chose the railroad spike knife which it the largest of the three choices. Others are made from pony shoes, or horse shoes.
Joe gives you a short safety talk, and instructions on what you need to do as the metal heats in the forge. Then he holds it on the anvil while you pound on ot as instructed. He tells you when to stop, returns it to the forge for more heat, then you continue hammering. Then he instructs you to only hit an area along the edge which moves the metal down, and narrows it to form the blade. After the shape is completed he heats it once more, and puts in a vice after showing you how to twist it making a twisted handle. Following that he heats it to a proper temperature for the quenching process and has you quench it when the temp is correct. Next Joe grinds, shapes, polishes, and sharpens it to finish off a custom knife that you did a lot of the work on yourself. A hand made leather sheath is included. The price including tax was right around $80. Not bad or a one of a knife that you actually formed. The smaller knives are less, I think in the $30-$40 range.

As a side note,as I was getting ready to make the knife I mentioned I had been fishing all morning Thursday. Joe said he has been in Branson since May, and has not been able to catch any trout he was told were in Taneycomo. So I offered to take him fishing Friday morning. It was a true pleasure to enjoy his company, and conversation for an hour and a half or so. To add to the enjoyment, I managed to help him catch his first trout, and several more to fill his limit. I'm sure when I'm in town there will be more knives made, and more fish caught.
Forge a knife, and make a new friend. I count that as a double winning experience.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:24 AM   #2
leftsaidted
Ultra Member

Thanks for the review, sounds like a fun place! Gonna have to go in and make a knife...I wonder if you have to do the "twist" handle, or can you use wood...beat the tang flat, drill it and wood slabs, pound rivets in to hold? BTW, does Joe realize he can walk directly out of his store, and walk about 75 paces, and be on top of the best "hole" for "bank" fishing trout along the Landing? Now, not trophy size, to be sure, but you can fill a stringer or a bucket with perfect filet and eat size beauties. Other than that, I ain't sayin more, as it can get crowded by locals who know, at times. I'm not a trout fisherman by preference, so, guess I will mosey in there sometime soon, and point to the EXACT 15' wide spot...
leftsaidted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:46 AM   #3
Baldwin

Will have to check out the knifes when we come to Branson. Thanks for the info.
Baldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 11:41 AM   #4
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
I wonder if you have to do the "twist" handle, or can you use wood...beat the tang flat, drill it and wood slabs, pound rivets in to hold? BTW, does Joe realize he can walk directly out of his store, and walk about 75 paces, and be on top of the best "hole" for "bank" fishing trout along the Landing?
LOL, that's kind of how we got started talking fishing. After I told him I had been out fishing mow of the morning, and was in Branson for a trout tournament Saturday he said he had been trying to catch trout down there, but thought there were no trout in that area!
With the limited time we had, I just ran up to Fall Creek from Lilleys, and had him driftcrawlers. A pretty surefire method.
I did give him a few pointers on line, lures/bait, and technique that will most likely help him in the future.
When I'm back in Branson in April and May, and have longer evening hours I'll pick him up at the Landing, and see if I can get him on some fish down there.
Although we didn't find enough pound plus fish, and a good "anchor" fish or two in order to finish above thirty something out of 76 boats, all our weigh in fish came from an area very close to the Landing. In fact you could almost cast to it from the last fishing dock in the park.

The knives offered to the customers are just the basic forge, and finish with raw handles. On the spike I think you do have the choice of twist, or straight. I think the main reason is time restraint. It takes about an hour, and Joe is the only master bladder smith. Doing a lot more forging, and work on the blade would take considerable more time.

75 paces from his shop? Wanna go fishing some time?