1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Missouri Other

Old 11-29-2019, 08:36 PM   #1
wwgang
Super Ultra Member

History

My wife and i love coming to Branson. We were talking tonight about the history of some of the theatres. We could probably Google it but would love to hear it from people here.

Who owns the White House Theatre and who has played there?
Caravelle Theatre? Who built it? Owns it? Played at it?

Did the following build the current theatres they play? Mickey Holley? Jim Stafford?

Pierce Arrow theatre?

Branson Star theatre?

RED Theatre?

Clay Copper?

Thanks in advance for the history lesson
wwgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:53 PM   #2
OkieAnon

Clay cooper was the Bob o Links first I remember, then I remember a group called The Texans.

At some point I think Pierce arrow was a Civil war museum or was going to be.
OkieAnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 08:27 AM   #3
biscuitcreek
Super Ultra Member

Hopefully, Show Gal will be able to reply soon. She has compiled a history of Branson Theaters.
biscuitcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 10:40 AM   #4
ozarksportsgal
Ultra Member

I'm following....

Back in the mid-80s, my mom, granny and I went through a museum that had a Jesus theme... wax type figures, from what I can remember.

Daddy stayed outside and watched a helicopter take off/land, giving folks tours.
He commented on how fast they were able to land/take off with new people each time.

Anyway.... maybe she can help me remember just where the museum was.
ozarksportsgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 11:02 AM   #5
bransoncutie
Spectacular Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieAnon View Post
Clay cooper was the Bob o Links first I remember, then I remember a group called The Texans.
This was also the Osmond Family Theatre for several years. And I believe Legends in Concert performed there for a few years as well. The Osmonds moved back in for a season. Then Jimmy sold it to Clay Cooper.
bransoncutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:24 AM   #6
kstater1997
Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bransoncutie View Post
This was also the Osmond Family Theatre for several years. And I believe Legends in Concert performed there for a few years as well. The Osmonds moved back in for a season. Then Jimmy sold it to Clay Cooper.
The theatre was originally home to The Texans, a tall guy on stilts use to stand out in front of the theatre. This was way back in the early 80s before the Osmonds ever came to Branson.
kstater1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:54 AM   #7
SHOW GAL
SHOW GAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitcreek View Post
Hopefully, Show Gal will be able to reply soon. She has compiled a history of Branson Theaters.
Sorry I an so late in responding but Sudden Link had a major outage and I have not been able to get on the internet. Thanks for thinking of me Biscuitcreek. Hope this answers some of the questions.

Pierce Arrow--In 1997 it opened as Pasitive Country Theater.

Branson Star--Building was constructed in 1984 as a car museum. Shoji bought the building and turned it into a theater.

RFD--Opened as Ray Stevens Theater in 1991.

Clay Cooper--Opened as Bob-O-Link Theater in 1997

White House--Opened as Charly Pride Theater in 1994. In 1998 corporate owners of the theater filed for reorganization of the theater and closed the theater. Opened as the White House Theater in 2002. The Magnificent 7 Show appeared there until 2008.

Caravelle--Opened as Cody Country Theater in 1986. Opened as the Stars Of The Ozark Theater in 1990. Opened as the Jim Stafford Theater in 1992. Opened as the Anita Bryant Theater in 1995. Opened as the Moe Bandy Theater in 1998. Opened as the Caravelle Theater in 2003.

Hope this info helps and is interesting to Branson historians.

Branson Show Reviews by SHOW GAL

http://BransonShowGal.wordpress.com/
SHOW GAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:58 AM   #8
bransoncutie
Spectacular Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstater1997 View Post
The theatre was originally home to The Texans, a tall guy on stilts use to stand out in front of the theatre. This was way back in the early 80s before the Osmonds ever came to Branson.
I'm sorry if I am not allowed to add additional historical information. The OP asked if Clay Cooper built his theatre. My reply was actually in line with that as it provided who the final owner was before Clay purchased the theatre. My mistake.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:04 AM   #9
bransoncutie
Spectacular Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOW GAL View Post
White House--Opened as Charly Pride Theater in 1994. In 1998 corporate owners of the theater filed for reorganization of the theater and closed the theater. Opened as the White House Theater in 2002. The Magnificent 7 Show appeared there until 2008.
If I'm allowed, I can fill in a bit of a gap here. The Promise took up residency in what is now The White House theatre from 1999 to 2001.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:59 PM   #10
leftsaidted
Ultra Member

There is a need, and a demand, I believe, for a book on the history of Branson’s theatres. I’m talking large, hardcover, coffee table type, with large photos of the start of each theatre building, through it’s progression into what it is as of NOW. EVERY theatre that has ever been here....even if it’s just an ugly piece of dirty, broken concrete slab now....( i know quite a bit about the history of Branson, but there are 2 or 3 abandoned concrete slabs in the doggondest area’s that I have no idea what was there). Photos of the strip as each year progresses...the PRE-Branson Landing area and it’s fishing shanty’s, etc, should also be included. You can find bits and pieces, here and there, in this little book, or that old newspaper clipping, etc....but there is NOT a classy, authoritative large hardcover book. I would love to see someone, or a group of someone’s, put this all together and publish it.
leftsaidted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:35 PM   #11
OkieAnon

Speaking of Clay Cooper the first place I remember seeing him was in a theater next to the Hotel Grand Victorian, I dont remember the name of it but it was a small theater, and all that is left is a concrete slab now. The outside didn't look like much but the inside had some of the best seating around as far as seeing the stage.

The White House Theater did some name acts for a period as well, I remember seeing Don William's there once and someone else but I cant remember who.
OkieAnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:29 AM   #12
WireRoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwgang View Post
My wife and i love coming to Branson. We were talking tonight about the history of some of the theatres. We could probably Google it but would love to hear it from people here.

Who owns the White House Theatre and who has played there?
Caravelle Theatre? Who built it? Owns it? Played at it?

Did the following build the current theatres they play? Mickey Holley? Jim Stafford?

Pierce Arrow theatre?

Branson Star theatre?

RED Theatre?

Clay Copper?

Thanks in advance for the history lesson
I think Gilley is the only one from this list that actually built a theater or was that the Hee Haw theatre before?
WireRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:01 AM   #13
bransoncutie
Spectacular Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieAnon View Post
Speaking of Clay Cooper the first place I remember seeing him was in a theater next to the Hotel Grand Victorian, I dont remember the name of it but it was a small theater, and all that is left is a concrete slab now. The outside didn't look like much but the inside had some of the best seating around as far as seeing the stage.
Started with an M...I want to say Majestic, maybe? I know that I was in the offices of that theatre a number of times and the moldy/musty smell down there was overwhelming! Set me in to more than one asthma attack!