1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Miscellaneous Topics > Just for Chit Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 12:38 PM   #1
DalmatianDad
aka - DD

The Cross is Rising

Quite a few years ago there was quite a discussion about a guy, or group, that wanted to built a huge/tall cross near highway 65 north. As I recall, money was holding the project back. Well it is back and looks to be about halfway complete. When you are going north on 65 you will see it about 2 miles beyond the High Road exit.

A sign on the lawn at a drug rehab center said:
'Keep off the Grass.'

Old 09-27-2018, 01:43 PM   #2
sanddunerider
Super Ultra Member

Hmm? I missed that last weekend. ? will have to look closer next time
Old 09-27-2018, 01:46 PM   #3
VictoriasMom
Ultra Member

KY3 has information here: https://www.ky3.com/content/news/Dev...490193591.html

Developers hope to have it open by Easter 2019.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:51 AM   #4
leftsaidted
Ultra Member

I dunno..I personally don't like it when I look across "country" and see some monstracity sticking up....like the 190' tall cross along I-40 at Groom, Texas...or the "egg tree" (Tree of Utah/Life) in the Salt Lake Desert/Flats outside of SLC in Utah along I-80...or the myriads of UGLY wind mill/turbines that clutter various California pristine areas, such as in Joshua Tree Park desert, down in Palm Springs, the giant, UGLY "solar farm" with a myriad of reflecting "mirrors" that can be seen for MILES and MILES in Joshua Tree National Park, and now Texas (among other states), just cluttering up the scenery when you drive through. I hate it, it just ruins that part of the drive....Nope...if I wanna see a cross, I will go to church. But, I also believe in Free Enterprise, along with an individuals Private Property Rights...so whoever can stick whatever up...they are free to do so...and I am also free to carp about it every time I drive by!!
Old 09-28-2018, 10:56 AM   #5
Jalva2
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftsaidted View Post
I dunno..I personally don't like it when I look across "country" and see some monstracity sticking up....like the 190' tall cross along I-40 at Groom, Texas...or the "egg tree" (Tree of Utah/Life) in the Salt Lake Desert/Flats outside of SLC in Utah along I-80...or the myriads of UGLY wind mill/turbines that clutter various California pristine areas, such as in Joshua Tree Park desert, down in Palm Springs, the giant, UGLY "solar farm" with a myriad of reflecting "mirrors" that can be seen for MILES and MILES in Joshua Tree National Park, and now Texas (among other states), just cluttering up the scenery when you drive through. I hate it, it just ruins that part of the drive....Nope...if I wanna see a cross, I will go to church. But, I also believe in Free Enterprise, along with an individuals Private Property Rights...so whoever can stick whatever up...they are free to do so...and I am also free to carp about it every time I drive by!!
Agree in some places, disagree in others. Thought I'd hate the sight of giant wind turbines on the prairie, now find them interesting. Might feel different if I lived beside one, but I don't.

Of course, as far as interrupting views around Branson goes, I'm reminded of the old tongue-in-cheek Andy Williams joke about how unspoiled he found the area to be...
Old 09-28-2018, 10:22 PM   #6
mikee

Smile The Big Cross

I was surprised to hear the cross was being put up. I had my doubts that it would ever be built. Thought the guy doing it would probably put the donations in his pocket. Apparently he is an honest man or it would not be going up. It will certainly offend some people, especially those who are not Christians. Don't be surprised if there are complaints and or protests. That seems to be the kind of society we have become. If I were the person developing this attraction, I would build a home close to it and have someone there 24 hours a day and be sure that they were well armed. I drove down there today for a nice fall drive and the crew was there working and lots of sightseers there too. It will be interesting to see it when it is finished. Hope I live long enough to see it when completed. I wish the developer luck with the project and hope all goes well for him.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:27 AM   #7
perky4branson

Through the years, we've always enjoyed all the beautiful trees of all kinds and sorts when we went to Branson, but now it seems they just take a dozer and push them down, instead of working around them and keeping the natural beauty of the area . Getting to be less and less and less trees and timber, and the beauty is gradually disappearing. Putting out new trees when projects are done is nice, but we will never get to enjoy them when they get bigger and taller, if they are even allowed too.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:09 PM   #8
soxster
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalva2 View Post
Agree in some places, disagree in others. Thought I'd hate the sight of giant wind turbines on the prairie, now find them interesting. Might feel different if I lived beside one, but I don't.

Of course, as far as interrupting views around Branson goes, I'm reminded of the old tongue-in-cheek Andy Williams joke about how unspoiled he found the area to be...
Well I guess we are fortunate we do not have a crop of oil derricks popping up through the trees. That would add to the ambiance of the ozarks as well. They are such a beautiful sight off those nice white beaches of alabama......not.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:15 AM   #9
biscuitcreek
Super Ultra Member

Here's more on the cross in this free article from Branson Tri-Lakes:

http://bransontrilakesnews.com/news_...adee3f727.html

According to the article it will be the largest cross in North America and 5th largest in the world.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:59 AM   #10
DalmatianDad
aka - DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitcreek View Post
Here's more on the cross in this free article from Branson Tri-Lakes:

http://bransontrilakesnews.com/news_...adee3f727.html

Good article Biscuit...A couple of interesting factoids..
Over the course of the 10 years, Brown said a few things about the cross have changed, including raising the height from 200 to 218 feet.
“The reason people are staying under 200 feet is because you have to have red FAA navigational beacon lights for airplanes on it,” he said. “We’re the only cross that got permission to put those lights in. Taney County also gave us permission to build to 218 feet, which makes us the largest cross in North America and the fifth-largest in the world.”

“A few years ago, there was a population study done on the mean average line in the United States, which means if you drew a line dividing the east and west sides of the country the population is equal, that line was U.S. 65”

All they need now is a traffic light

A sign on the lawn at a drug rehab center said:
'Keep off the Grass.'

Old 10-01-2018, 01:31 PM   #11
WireRoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftsaidted View Post
Nope...if I wanna see a cross, I will go to church.
This sums it up.^^^^

No, I won't comment on how many other ways that $3 mil. could have been spent to actually help people.
Old 10-01-2018, 01:55 PM   #12
soxster
Super Ultra Member

Maybe a 218 ft menorah could be placed on the other side of hwy 65 to balance the ambiance of the ozarks.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:25 AM   #13
zalo9
Your message here, $5.

Old 10-06-2018, 04:27 PM   #14
craftemp
Ultra Member

Anyone know if this is open for visiting yet?
Old 10-06-2018, 09:17 PM   #15
Mouse2

I saw it the other day. What is with the big cartoonish water drops? It looks ridiculous.

Closed Thread