1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Other Destinations

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 09:01 PM   #1
ggh
Super User

HWY 65 southbound through Springfield - Closes July 10th

What are your alternate route plans? In less than 2 weeks HWY 65 will be closed southbound - then Northbound (see link for further details).

http://www.modot.org/southwest/major...ild/index.html

The intersection I-44 exits to Southbound 65 from the interstate to Kearney is NOT being repaired at this time. I am in hopes they build a flyover - I hate that exit, the HWY 65 bridge over I-44 is dangerous too!
Old 07-01-2017, 08:14 AM   #2
OkieAnon

I read this story the other day on one of the tv channel web sites and one thing they mentioned was even if 65 wasn't a road you normally travel to be extra careful on other roads because of all the traffic being diverted onto those roads one they listed was the James River Parkway.
Old 07-01-2017, 04:34 PM   #3
ggh
Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieAnon View Post
I read this story the other day on one of the tv channel web sites and one thing they mentioned was even if 65 wasn't a road you normally travel to be extra careful on other roads because of all the traffic being diverted onto those roads one they listed was the James River Parkway.
I have read MODOT's report, where they indicate they are alerting traffic coming from the west, to use 360/James River to go around the closures in Springfield. Coming from the east, the intent is to move traffic to HWY 60 on 63? Up near Rolla. Road signs this week are telling the traffic to 'choose a route now'. I am NOT looking forward to finding my way to and from work around HWY 65!
Old 07-02-2017, 07:35 AM   #4
teacherkim
Super Ultra Member

We never use 65 anyway, always take James River. Now it sounds like it will be a bit of a mess.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:20 AM   #5
billj598

All the traffic coming off of James River/Hwy. 60 to Southbound 65 will put a lot of stress on that junction/intersection.

I haven't been up that way for a little while so the question is: has the construction of the third lane on 65 from Hwy 60 South to Evans Road been completed yet ? If it's finally done and opened, that will help ease the anticipated congestion.

Why MoDOT couldn't have scheduled this work in the post-tourist season of the Fall of the year is simply incredibly poor timing.

Taking 63 South at Rolla to 60 West will place a lot of traffic on two-lane 63 (after negotiating Rolla traffic and stop lights)which is infamous for head-on wrecks. You'd be better off, in my opinion, to exit I-44 at Strafford and take 125 South to "D" West which turns into E. Sunshine and getting back on 65 S there....as I have posted previously.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:29 AM   #6
ggh
Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by billj598 View Post
All the traffic coming off of James River/Hwy. 60 to Southbound 65 will put a lot of stress on that junction/intersection.

I haven't been up that way for a little while so the question is: has the construction of the third lane on 65 from Hwy 60 South to Evans Road been completed yet ? If it's finally done and opened, that will help ease the anticipated congestion.
I agree! James River/SB65 intersection could easily be a nightmare. When driving through there now, I find that 1/3 of the traffic doesn't realize they MUST be in the far right lane to be in the SB65 lane. I have had many near misses in that area, when folks are in the wrong lane, and decide to change lanes w/o looking (and typically without a blinker). The construction of HWY 65 to 3 lanes is NOT yet complete, it could be complete any day it appears, but it seems to be SLOW moving. It will be a blessing to if it is completed before the 65 work.

Quote:
Why MoDOT couldn't have scheduled this work in the post-tourist season of the Fall of the year is simply incredibly poor timing.
Good question! I suspect that to complete the work in 60 days, the good weather is the reason. HWY65 is a major thoroughfare, so closing it at anytime is going to be painful, so having it closed for the shortest period of time is a plus.

Quote:
Taking 63 South at Rolla to 60 West will place a lot of traffic on two-lane 63 (after negotiating Rolla traffic and stop lights)which is infamous for head-on wrecks. You'd be better off, in my opinion, to exit I-44 at Strafford and take 125 South to "D" West which turns into E. Sunshine and getting back on 65 S there....as I have posted previously..
If I were going to get off at Strafford at 125, I think I would follow it to HWY 60, taking 60 west to 65 south of Springfield/ at the 60/65 interchange vs. driving D to Sunshine unless I was trying to get into central Springfield.

I navigate from the north east to get to central Springfield at least once every 24 hours, often a couple/three times. I've used the Strafford exit during a normal day, and turning south at the exit from East I44 is rarely a quick process. It would/could be a decent alternative if there was a traffic light to control the flow of traffic from the interstate. All 18wheelers who exit I44 at Strafford are going North, to get fuel, they greatly impact the ability for other traffic to go south on the overpass.

125 to D, to Sunshine will likely be my option - but I DREAD taking that route during rush hour traffic. I am planning to adjust my work hours to try to avoid SOME Of the traffic, but that's not always possible. I expect all the bedroom communities north and east of Springfield will all be traveling the same route to get to work.

I am disheartened that the I44/65 interchange is not a part of this project. HWY 65 closure is going to make it a painful summer for me.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:32 AM   #7
ggh
Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherkim View Post
We never use 65 anyway, always take James River. Now it sounds like it will be a bit of a mess.
If you are coming in from the west, there is no reason to take 65.

Be aware that 65 and James River is still under construction (upon completion 65 will be 3 lanes further south). You very well may find James River to have heavier traffic than normal due to the HWY 65 construction.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:35 AM   #8
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Decisions, decisions. Wondering if to take the recomended Hwy 63/60 like we did when I-44 was flooded, or take Horace Greeley's advice, and "go West young man". Just stay on I-44 to 13, cut over Sunshine to Bass Pro, then down to 14 @ Nixa, and across back to 65. Used to do that all the time in pre Branson and St. Charles BPS days. Either way I bet I have to add an hour to my trip. Thinking the 13 route will eliminate the inevitable "cluster" at 65/60.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:04 PM   #9
DalmatianDad
aka - DD

Right now I'm thinking Strafford South on 125 to 60, then west to 65.
However, I have no idea what 125 is like as far as condition and number of stops and slowdowns.
Anybody know? I get to try it next week
Old 07-03-2017, 04:44 PM   #10
ggh
Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalmatianDad View Post
However, I have no idea what 125 is like as far as condition and number of stops and slowdowns.
125 is known to have a few blind spots, and is crooked, the road is in decent shape (that may change with increased traffic), and there are several places where traffic does routinely cross 125. On a normal day - a drive from Strafford to HWY 60 takes 15 minutes... I hope I'm wrong, but I'm guessing that could easily double.

Work doesn't start until July 10th - until then HWY 65 is open to traffic.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:45 PM   #11
DalmatianDad
aka - DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggh View Post
125 is known to have a few blind spots, and is crooked, the road is in decent shape (that may change with increased traffic), and there are several places where traffic does routinely cross 125. On a normal day - a drive from Strafford to HWY 60 takes 15 minutes... I hope I'm wrong, but I'm guessing that could easily double.

Work doesn't start until July 10th - until then HWY 65 is open to traffic.
Thanks ggh.
Looks like I'll get to try it on the 11th.
Maybe I'll get lucky and they will postpone for a bit----and maybe not
Old 07-05-2017, 06:12 PM   #12
ggh
Super User

Quote:
Thanks ggh.
Looks like I'll get to try it on the 11th.
Maybe I'll get lucky and they will postpone for a bit----and maybe not
I will trade you - I will drive it once for you - you can drive it daily, sometimes 2-3 times/day for me until the reconstruction is complete. Can you tell, I am NOT looking forward to it?!
Old 07-05-2017, 09:34 PM   #13
DalmatianDad
aka - DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggh View Post
Can you tell, I am NOT looking forward to it?!
Yes, does seem like it..Guess we will both find out.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:17 AM   #14
DalmatianDad
aka - DD

Latest From MODOT

Update for Week of July 10, 2017
THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THE PROJECT:
Southbound Route 65 CLOSED between Kearney and Division Streets at 12:01 a.m. Monday, July 10, until as late as 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, July 16
I-44 ramps to southbound Route 65 CLOSED when southbound Route 65 closes July 10
Old 07-11-2017, 04:25 PM   #15
DalmatianDad
aka - DD

Quote:
Well we took that route today around three o'clock.
MODOT has it covered with detour signs that guide to onto 125 and down to 60.
About 11.7 miles. Not all that much traffic, but that may change in the near future. As ggh stated, it is hilly and curvy, but in good condition.
All in all, it seems to be a good choice for a detour.

Closed Thread