1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Outdoor Activities

Old 05-10-2017, 07:40 AM   #121
NotJLB
Super Ultra Member

When I've been in the woods near the lake I've made a point of looking down, and around, because snakes are in places they normally aren't.

I also know that a lot of people call any snake they see in water a Cottonmouth, even when it's a harmless water snake.

Yes I took dogter for a swim swim on the flooded road leading down to the boat ramp, and just as we got there a HUGE Cottonmouth swam across the road right in front of us.

Oh yeah, that's right, there are no Cottonmouths on TRL

NotJLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:15 AM   #122
JoseyWales2
Super Ultra Member

I am sure there are cables and winches available online. I saw a wench online once and even dated her. But that probably wont help you much.
JoseyWales2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:02 PM   #123
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Good article on OzarkAnglers.com about the White River lake and river levels.
http://www.ozarkanglers.com/lake-tan...evel-watching/
Old 05-11-2017, 07:22 AM   #124
billj598

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotJLB View Post
When I've been in the woods near the lake I've made a point of looking down, and around, because snakes are in places they normally aren't.

I also know that a lot of people call any snake they see in water a Cottonmouth, even when it's a harmless water snake.

Yes I took dogter for a swim swim on the flooded road leading down to the boat ramp, and just as we got there a HUGE Cottonmouth swam across the road right in front of us.

Oh yeah, that's right, there are no Cottonmouths on TRL

Remember about two years ago when the guy wading in the James upstream from TR was bitten twice by a Cottonmouth ? Unfortunately, rather than go to the ER he went home and went to sleep and died during the night.

Don't know who claimed there are no Cottonmouths in TR but they were nuts. Supposedly a person can tell a common watersnake from a venomous or land based snake by whether they are swimming on top of the water or mostly submerged. Knowing how Cottonmouths are always around water and spend so much time in it I wonder if that applies to them ?

I suppose because it's breeding season we've been seeing several big Black Snakes in the yard and on the roads lately and we welcome them because they will kill and eat Cottonmouths, Copperheads and Rattlers as well as the rodents.
billj598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:42 AM   #125
NotJLB
Super Ultra Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by billj598 View Post
Don't know who claimed there are no Cottonmouths in TR but they were nuts. Supposedly a person can tell a common watersnake from a venomous or land based snake by whether they are swimming on top of the water or mostly submerged.
Every time I see a cottonmouth now I recall the James River doofus.

Because she is from there, DW and I spent a lot of time at our/family place on the Eleven Point River at Myrtle Access, about a mile from the Arkansas line. I had a little floaty-boat, and would put in at the access above the cabin and float fish down to it. I could get back into the sloughs where everyone's "jet-drives" couldn't go.

It's how they sit totally on top of the water, the thickness of their bodies, and their attitude that, from a distance, separates them from a common water snake.

When we retired, before we entered our next careers, we spent almost every afternoon on the lake, me fishing the banks and DW reading a book. I kept seeing a cottonmouth back in Mill Creek, and one day a houseboat was tied up there. The guy said they had a stringer of fish and watched a cottonmouth come up and take them.

I contacted the local MDC agent, and he said there are no cottonmouths in TRL. So, there you have it.

Having said all that, all snakes in Missouri are protected.

Last edited by NotJLB; 05-11-2017 at 07:54 AM.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:11 AM   #126
billj598

Quote:
Every time I see a cottonmouth now I recall the James River doofus.

Because she is from there, DW and I spent a lot of time at our/family place on the Eleven Point River at Myrtle Access, about a mile from the Arkansas line. I had a little floaty-boat, and would put in at the access above the cabin and float fish down to it. I could get back into the sloughs where everyone's "jet-drives" couldn't go.

It's how they sit totally on top of the water, the thickness of their bodies, and their attitude that, from a distance, separates them from a common water snake.

When we retired, before we entered our next careers, we spent almost every afternoon on the lake, me fishing the banks and DW reading a book. I kept seeing a cottonmouth back in Mill Creek, and one day a houseboat was tied up there. The guy said they had a stringer of fish and watched a cottonmouth come up and take them.

I contacted the local MDC agent, and he said there are no cottonmouths in TRL. So, there you have it.

Having said all that, all snakes in Missouri are protected.
"Protected" ? Really ? Did not realize that !

I guess the big Timber Rattler that put the man in Lampe in the Hospital for two weeks a few years ago fits in that "class" too ? That one got in the lower level of his home and they can "shove" that "protected" status if they've made it inside.

Guys with "fish boxes" down at the Marina have had the very common and numerous Brown Water Snakes get in them but they don't get all that big and can't swallow a large fish. Like most, I've had them swim right up to the boat and had to chase them and know they're harmless but it's still unnerving !
billj598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:33 AM   #127
NotJLB
Super Ultra Member

Missouri's Wildlife Code Protects Snakes

Few Missourians realize that all snakes native to our state are protected. The Wildlife Code of Missouri treats snakes, lizards, and most turtles as nongame. This means that there is no open season on these animals, and it is technically unlawful to kill them. There is a realistic exception, however: when a venomous snake is in close association with people, which could result in someone being bitten. We hope that more people realize that snakes are interesting, valuable, and, for the most part, harmless.

https://nature.mdc.mo.gov/discover-n...ts/snake-facts
Old 05-11-2017, 10:51 AM   #128
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
The same geniuses that have denied there being bears, and mountain lions in Missouri for many years. Until trail camera, and law enforcement sightings made positive identification, and they could no longer lie about their presence.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:51 PM   #129
NotJLB
Super Ultra Member

I have seen a bear, the Lampe bear, but only once, and only a glimpse in the headlights on the H HWY curve, and a long time ago, so if an agent told me there were none in the area, I would have a hard time contradicting him/her.

Cottonmouths, OTOH, are not a rare occurrence on TRL, so that's a different matter.

My advice . . . if a HUGE, FAT snake is aggressively heading for you, full-speed, entire FAT body on top of the water, spreading a wake like a 50-passenger jet boat doing a donut, error on the side of caution.

Last edited by NotJLB; 05-11-2017 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:50 PM   #130
NotJLB
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjw1991A1 View Post
The same geniuses that have denied there being bears, and mountain lions in Missouri for many years. Until trail camera, and law enforcement sightings made positive identification, and they could no longer lie about their presence.
Speaking of which, the MDC is deeply involved in black bear studies, including winter den personal inspections.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:13 PM   #131
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Speaking of which, the MDC is deeply involved in black bear studies, including winter den personal inspections.
Now that they have no alternative because they can no longer deny their existence. Like the "only displaced young male" mountain lion lie they have been telling. Not any more!
http://www.columbiamissourian.com/ne...42432890a.html
Old 05-11-2017, 07:15 PM   #132
NotJLB
Super Ultra Member

Well, every now and then, a bear or a mountain lion falls through the cracks.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:20 PM   #133
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Well, every now and then, a bear or a mountain lion falls through the cracks.
Wait until they start eating their elk like the river otters they stocked ate most of the smallmouth bass in the streams they put the otters in!
With the geniuses they now have it surprises me they don't stock a bunch of Muskie in Taneycomo to get rid of the crappie! Surely they can train a 40" Muskie to not eat trout.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:59 PM   #134
NotJLB
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjw1991A1 View Post
Wait until they start eating their elk like the river otters they stocked ate most of the smallmouth bass in the streams they put the otters in!
With the geniuses they now have it surprises me they don't stock a bunch of Muskie in Taneycomo to get rid of the crappie! Surely they can train a 40" Muskie to not eat trout.
Can't let it go, can you?

be careful what you wish for, or not for
Old 05-11-2017, 08:43 PM   #135
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Can't let it go, can you?

be careful what you wish for, or not for
At one time, and not all that many years ago MDC was a showpiece example of the finest conservation department in the country. Too many ecperimental minds with useless book learnin', and no common sense now!