1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Outdoor Activities

Old 05-04-2017, 07:34 AM   #91
NotJLB
Super Ultra Member

Current storm totals from yesterday and overnight:

1.5"-3" around Branson/Springfield

3" around West Plains (already flooded)

3"-8" from Chanute to Rolla, including LOTO area.

At least some rain in the entire radar sweep, from KC to Ft. Smith and from west of Tulsa to east of Rolla.

LOTO & Bagnell dam are in the same situation as TRL and TRL dam . . . flood gates open.

Last edited by NotJLB; 05-04-2017 at 07:37 AM.
NotJLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:38 PM   #92
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Table Rock discharge is down to 13,800 cfs plus just under 10,000 through the turbines. Taneycomo is now down to a lever where one of the ramps to Lilley's dock is accessible.
Still quite a lot of water in Taneycomo, and it wil likely continue for some time.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:07 AM   #93
NotJLB
Super Ultra Member

Yes, except for those who lost everything, those who lost some things, those with dock damage, and a few more, it was a very nice flood.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:28 AM   #94
billj598

Since the discussion has somewhat turned to water levels elsewhere, if you've heard of or followed the record flooding (again) in the St. Louis Metro area caused chiefly by the Meramec River that alone has closed two Interstates, closed numerous very large School Districts, made it impossible for folks to commute to work, and caused untold Millions of dollars in repeated property damage, here's a kind of funny story.

Back in the 1970's, Uncle Sam was going to build five flood control dams on the Meramec and its' two major tributaries. Thanks to the combined efforts of the well-heeled Sierra Club, various tree-hugger groups and the lies and half-truths they spread, a referendum vote was held and the Project was abandoned.

An LOZ organization was scared of their business loss if there were a 33 mile-long flood control and recreational reservoir within an hour's drive of St. Louis and contributed 10's of thousands of dollars to the "cause" opposing the dam(s).

This year's is the second 500 year flood since Dec. 2015 and there will be more.
billj598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:38 AM   #95
billj598

Quote:
Originally Posted by jap114 View Post
Did they close it in 2011? If they did, I don't remember it.
No. Nor in 2015 when it got higher than 2011. Both levels higher than 2017 !
Old 05-05-2017, 04:02 PM   #96
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billj598 View Post
Since the discussion has somewhat turned to water levels elsewhere, if you've heard of or followed the record flooding (again) in the St. Louis Metro area caused chiefly by the Meramec River that alone has closed two Interstates, closed numerous very large School Districts, made it impossible for folks to commute to work, and caused untold Millions of dollars in repeated property damage, here's a kind of funny story.

Back in the 1970's, Uncle Sam was going to build five flood control dams on the Meramec and its' two major tributaries. Thanks to the combined efforts of the well-heeled Sierra Club, various tree-hugger groups and the lies and half-truths they spread, a referendum vote was held and the Project was abandoned.

An LOZ organization was scared of their business loss if there were a 33 mile-long flood control and recreational reservoir within an hour's drive of St. Louis and contributed 10's of thousands of dollars to the "cause" opposing the dam(s).

This year's is the second 500 year flood since Dec. 2015 and there will be more.
Not to memtion a wealthy, and influencial developer from KC that headed an organization to save the Meremac river. But at the same time did nothing to stop a similar CoE project in his back yard that was speeded up to create Smithville Resorvois just 20 miles from his home town of Kansas City.

Last edited by rjw1991A1; 05-05-2017 at 04:04 PM.
rjw1991A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 04:06 PM   #97
NotJLB
Super Ultra Member

05MAY2017 1600 931.67

Went up a tad today.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:22 AM   #98
billj598

Every source I access says, indirectly, it's going to be a very protracted high water event on TR due to very limited discharges from Bull Shoals dam due to downstream flooding.

I'm sure Resort owners are being impacted with the limited Lake access and are very concerned about Memorial Day weekend. If there's a bright spot, at least if the Lake doesn't drop very fast the spawning beds for the fish that have moved up won't be left high and dry.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:47 AM   #99
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

The report I read about flood damage on Taneycomo is that only two docks were lost completely, and one flipped up on it's side. No evidence of appreciable shoreline damage other than a couple trees down. Of course the "usual" houses that should have never been built there had lots of water in them.
Not going to know what changes in the bottom structure, and channel there may be until the gates are completely closed, and lower water returns.
One positive thing though. Fishing below the dam is really turning on. Lots of very fat bows, and browns in the 17"-19" range. Plus some really nice Small mouth courtesy of Mother Nature's stocking program. There should also be lots of crappie, and walleye added to Taneycomo with the large amount of water already released plus extended releases.
If there is one positive out of this year's flood event it is that fishing should be great for the foreseeable future on Taneycomo.
Old 05-07-2017, 02:24 PM   #100
NotJLB
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Every source I access says, indirectly, it's going to be a very protracted high water event on TR due to very limited discharges from Bull Shoals dam due to downstream flooding.

I'm sure Resort owners are being impacted with the limited Lake access and are very concerned about Memorial Day weekend. If there's a bright spot, at least if the Lake doesn't drop very fast the spawning beds for the fish that have moved up won't be left high and dry.
Yeah, just think of the wonderful 2011 fish we're catching now!!!

I'm patiently waiting to catch it on the way down, at just the right level to realign the docks. I know I have at least one broken cable. I can probably work with them again about 925.

Last edited by NotJLB; 05-07-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 03:04 PM   #101
NotJLB
Super Ultra Member

Pretty close to what's going on right now:

Beaver is just doing turbine release, about 3800 cfs. Holding less than a foot under flood stage.

TRL is doing spillway and turbine release, about 23,500 cfs, and going down about .35 foot per day. 07MAY2017 1300 931.16

Bull shoals is doing less than 3000 cfs turbine release, and is going up 3/4 foot per day.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:30 AM   #102
billj598

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotJLB View Post
Yeah, just think of the wonderful 2011 fish we're catching now!!!

I'm patiently waiting to catch it on the way down, at just the right level to realign the docks. I know I have at least one broken cable. I can probably work with them again about 925.
Speaking with some Marina owners that said 1/2" cable was in very short supply along with 1/2" cable clamps and "come-along" winches. Very much looking forward to 925 again. Sooner than later I hope.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:49 AM   #103
jap114

Quote:
Speaking with some Marina owners that said 1/2" cable was in very short supply along with 1/2" cable clamps and "come-along" winches. Very much looking forward to 925 again. Sooner than later I hope.
Can y'all get on your docks at 925? We're still canoeing to the end of the gangway until about 922, and then it's still wading thru mud for a short distance. First world problems
jap114 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:16 PM   #104
NotJLB
Super Ultra Member

I'll tell you if 925 gets us to our docks when it's 925.

We lost a lakeside cable, and I would like to replace two winches, but I figured all of that would be in short supply.

Like rebuilding Kauai after Iniki, the supplies will get here sooner or later, probably sooner than they got there.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:40 AM   #105
NotJLB
Super Ultra Member

When I've been in the woods near the lake I've made a point of looking down, and around, because snakes are in places they normally aren't.

I also know that a lot of people call any snake they see in water a Cottonmouth, even when it's a harmless water snake.

Yes I took dogter for a swim swim on the flooded road leading down to the boat ramp, and just as we got there a HUGE Cottonmouth swam across the road right in front of us.

Oh yeah, that's right, there are no Cottonmouths on TRL