1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Other Destinations

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 11:06 AM   #1
NotJLB
Super Ultra Member

New Direct Flights to Destin and Ft. Walton Beach

Allegiant
Springfield / Branson to
Destin / Fort Walton Beach, Florida!
Flights begin 5/25/2017
$ 59
Old 01-11-2017, 09:05 PM   #2
ggh
Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotJLB View Post
Allegiant
Springfield / Branson to
Destin / Fort Walton Beach, Florida!
Flights begin 5/25/2017
$ 59
I hope the plan is to keep the flights up beyond the summer months.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:26 AM   #3
NotJLB
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggh View Post
I hope the plan is to keep the flights up beyond the summer months.
That would be nice. That part of Florida is a day's drive from the Branson area. Our houseguests last month drove to about there the first day. The Redneck Riviera can get a bit nippy in the Winter. The beaches are nice, but it's not really beach season.

It's not predictable where and when they will fly from where to where.

That part of Florida is a day's drive from the Branson area. Our houseguests last month drove to about there the first day.

The year they had Winter flights to Punta Gorda they were always packed. Unfortunately, that was the year they bit off more than they could chew, and simply did not show up for some PG flights, even with the charter company they hired on. Not pretty.

I remember a guy from Branson-ish telling the flight attendant how he hoped that schedule to PG would continue. It did not.

Just the other night, the local news announced service to PG from a new area.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:50 AM   #4
sanddunerider
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
That would be nice. That part of Florida is a day's drive from the Branson area. Our houseguests last month drove to about there the first day. The Redneck Riviera can get a bit nippy in the Winter. The beaches are nice, but it's not really beach season.

It's not predictable where and when they will fly from where to where.

That part of Florida is a day's drive from the Branson area. Our houseguests last month drove to about there the first day.

The year they had Winter flights to Punta Gorda they were always packed. Unfortunately, that was the year they bit off more than they could chew, and simply did not show up for some PG flights, even with the charter company they hired on. Not pretty.

I remember a guy from Branson-ish telling the flight attendant how he hoped that schedule to PG would continue. It did not.

Just the other night, the local news announced service to PG from a new area.
LOL, i checkeh the map, didnt know where this actually was... beach area yes, LOL>> not really what I think about when i see florida
Old 01-12-2017, 09:36 AM   #5
NotJLB
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddunerider View Post
LOL, i checkeh the map, didnt know where this actually was... beach area yes, LOL>> not really what I think about when i see florida
Are you talking about Destin/Ft. Walton Beach, or Punta Gorda?

If you're talking about Punta Gorda, it is sorta Ft. Myers in the same context that Branson is Springfield. The huge population centers of Florida are not on a beach. Even places like Tampa.

Last edited by NotJLB; 01-12-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:14 AM   #6
sanddunerider
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Are you talking about Destin/Ft. Walton Beach, or Punta Gorda?

If you're talking about Punta Gorda, it is sorta Ft. Myers in the same context that Branson is Springfield. The huge population centers of Florida are not on a beach. Even places like Tampa.
Destin area.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:59 PM   #7
NotJLB
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddunerider View Post
Destin area.
For many from the upper Midwest and for many college students, that's their idea of Florida. Destin, Pensacola, Panama City.

To put it into perspective, it's as far from Branson to Pensacola as it is from Pensacola to Miami. It's more than 100 miles further from Pensacola to Miami as it is from Chicago to Branson.

Back in my formative years, when I was preparing myself for retirement, one Saturday morning someone asked me if I could drive a pickup from Kansas City to Miami for them, and have it in Miami at 8:00 Monday morning. Sure!!! Of course!!!!

I thought I had it made when I got to Florida, but had to go like %%@@%^ to get it there on time.

Last edited by NotJLB; 01-12-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:33 PM   #8
ggh
Super User

Pensacola was where I fell in love with the Florida beaches, Destin is nearby

We visit Orlando because our son in law is employed by Disney, otherwise the flight to Destin would fill the bill for me.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:51 PM   #9
NotJLB
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Pensacola was where I fell in love with the Florida beaches, Destin is nearby

We visit Orlando because our son in law is employed by Disney, otherwise the flight to Destin would fill the bill for me.
Panhandle beaches are very nice.

DW and I started our Florida experience in Orlando, but we don't like it. To me it has all the bad things that go along with that type of tourist destination. For us it would be hard to live there.

But, again, for a lot of people, Orlando is their idea of Florida.

Dogter and I just went on our afternoon drive and went wading in the bay. Then we drove to a couple of the "natural" parks around the bay, and through some of the neighborhoods of Olde Town, with large lots and towering pines, and direct-to-Gulf canals out back. Florida homes with "tin" roofs, some modest, some not so modest.

It is high season, so the traffic is a bit heavy, but nowhere near as bad as along the Tamiami Trail or Interstate corridors. When I first came to Florida, down the West Coast it was all by US 41, Tamiami Trail. It was a 2-lane road that went through every town.

Last edited by NotJLB; 05-27-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:00 PM   #10
ggh
Super User

Quote:
Panhandle beaches are very nice.

DW and I started our Florida experience in Orlando, but we don't lie it. To me it has all the bad things that go along with that type of tourist destination. For us it would be hard to live there.

But, again, for a lot of people, Orlando is their idea of Florida.

Dogter and I just went our afternoon drive and went wading in the bay. Then we drove to a couple of the "natural" parks around the bay, and through some of the neighborhoods of Olde Town, with large lots and towering pines, and direct-to-Gulf canals out back. Florida homes with "tin" roofs, some modest, some not so modest.

It is high season, so the traffic is a bit heavy, but nowhere near as bad as along the Tamiami Trail or Interstate corridors. When I first came to Florida, down the West Coast it was all by US 41, Tamiami Trail. It was a 2-lane road that went through every town.
If I was going to move to Florida, Orlando wouldn't have been my first choice - until the kids moved there - It's more appealing, since we enjoy their company, and vice versa. Orlando is like any are, you can find nice well established areas and areas where you would prefer not to reside. Fortunately they are able to provide a modest home in an established area, outside of the tourist path in a fabulous school district for their family. Since the son in law works for Disney it is also nice that it is only a few minutes away from headquarters, but they don't have to get on I-4. Florida seems to do a good job of providing green space and waterways, Missouri is doing better, but they are miles ahead of us in that department it seems to me, there are multiple nice nature walking trails and parks within walking distance of their home. The beach is 12 hours away from home, and less than 2 hours from theirs - so I think they have a pretty good gig!
Old 01-14-2017, 08:28 AM   #11
NotJLB
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
If I was going to move to Florida, Orlando wouldn't have been my first choice - until the kids moved there - It's more appealing, since we enjoy their company, and vice versa. Orlando is like any are, you can find nice well established areas and areas where you would prefer not to reside. Fortunately they are able to provide a modest home in an established area, outside of the tourist path in a fabulous school district for their family. Since the son in law works for Disney it is also nice that it is only a few minutes away from headquarters, but they don't have to get on I-4. Florida seems to do a good job of providing green space and waterways, Missouri is doing better, but they are miles ahead of us in that department it seems to me, there are multiple nice nature walking trails and parks within walking distance of their home. The beach is 12 hours away from home, and less than 2 hours from theirs - so I think they have a pretty good gig!
Some of that is what we like about Florida. Most Floridians do not consider Orlando representative of Florida. If it was not there, they would not miss it.

People like Orlando in much the same way people like Branson. Most don't, or don't really care one way or the other, but those who do, really do.

Talking to our Florida houseguests about this, one of them pointed out that people they know who live in the Orlando area, like that they have access to all the attractions and shopping and stuff like that. That is why we chose a place in the Branson area 17 years ago.

Last edited by NotJLB; 01-14-2017 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:11 PM   #12
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

For beachy stuff for me it Navarre Beach. Quiet, and less populated than the "popular" places on the Emerald Coast. Only a couple high rise condo complexes. Mostly smaller 4-6 unit condos, and beach houses. Less than a half hour beautiful drive to Pensacola. A little more than a half hour to Ft. Walton/Destin.
My other Florida destination is for swampy stuff. Okeechobee, and the Everglades. Peacefull sportsman's paradise. You can spend a day fishing the 'Glades, and the only competition for room along the bank is from the gators.

Closed Thread