1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Shows

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 08:04 PM   #1
ShowMeGirl

Who does these?

Where do these awards come from? It seems like a very odd choice of nominees. I voted and was surprised by the leaders. I know others have differing tastes, but is there any validity to these? Looks like it's a way to promote a few shows that aren't so well known. http://www.werbranson.com/wrb-show-awards-2014.html
Old 08-13-2014, 08:46 PM   #2
bransoncutie
Spectacular Ultra Member

I have no idea who this is that's doing this awards program. But it is a pretty eclectic group of nominees -- and interesting to see who is leading in the voting.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:59 PM   #3
NotJLB
Super Ultra Member

It being so strange and eclectic, I decided not to look.

Winston Churchill
Old 08-13-2014, 09:15 PM   #4
DalmatianDad
aka - DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bransoncutie View Post
I have no idea who this is that's doing this awards program. But it is a pretty eclectic group of nominees -- and interesting to see who is leading in the voting.
Agree--velly interesting.. No further comment at this time
Old 08-13-2014, 09:39 PM   #5
ShowMeGirl

Is this a common thing? There seems to be so many awards in Branson that do not seem to have any accountability. Can anyone setup a website and just give out awards? It seems strange to me that these are based upon getting the public to vote on a few selected "nominees". It seems like it would be more of a popularity contest vs a real reflection of quality. Just my 2 cents.

As I said, I know others have different tastes. I'm just surprised that so many long standing shows and entertainers are missing and it seems to be a lot of the more obscure entertainers and shows that could use some publicity and maybe a few awards listed under their names.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:58 AM   #6
tortminder
Mobile Methane Generator

Exclamation Meaningless awards

I have been nominated for "Best newcomer with absolutely no talent"!
I expect to win easily.

"dictum meum pactum"
My word is my bond

Laughter is the best medicine... unless you have diarrhea!

Old 08-14-2014, 08:35 AM   #7
biscuitcreek
Super Ultra Member

Branson Tri-Lakes had these 2 articles recently about another set of awards -- the Terry Awards:

Article 1

http://bransontrilakesnews.com/enter...a4bcf887a.html

Article 2 about nominees not listed in the first article

http://bransontrilakesnews.com/enter...a4bcf887a.html
Old 08-16-2014, 10:38 AM   #8
Branson Junkie
Super Ultra Member

Wow!!! I see what you mean by the ballot selections. I don't find too many there to vote for.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:49 AM   #9
MNtraveler
Super Ultra Member

I didn't see that the shows listed were out of place at all. The following make perfect sense:

Tribute Show: Liverpool Legends

Family Show: The Duttons or Haygoods. Both are excellent.

Male Entertainer: I've only seen Benjamin Dutton and Mickey Gilley, but I think a good case could be made for either of them. As the last nationally known entertainer left in Branson, I wouldn't mind seeing it go to Mickey... especialy since he may not be entertaining much longer.

Female Entertainer: I've only seen Amy Dutton and Barbara Fairchild, but you could make a good case for either one.

Show of the Year: This is the only category where I disagree with the nominees. My candidates would be Six, Haygoods, Presleys, Clay Cooper and Sight and Sound Theater.

Good Times in Branson
Old 08-16-2014, 12:39 PM   #10
Branson Junkie
Super Ultra Member

And that is why variety of shows is good because everyone doesn't agree as to who or what is best. What I thought was odd about these lists was not so much who was ON the list but who was NOT ON the list. In at least one case I believe the entertainer's venue is a buffet. I don't believe that person belongs on the list, on top of the fact that this person is still riding on the laurels of one song.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:56 PM   #11
MNtraveler
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branson Junkie View Post
And that is why variety of shows is good because everyone doesn't agree as to who or what is best. What I thought was odd about these lists was not so much who was ON the list but who was NOT ON the list. In at least one case I believe the entertainer's venue is a buffet. I don't believe that person belongs on the list, on top of the fact that this person is still riding on the laurels of one song.
Yes, it is a buffet. What can you say, this is Branson!

But it is not just one song... she had five singles to appear in the Country top 20. Sure, the last one was over 35 years ago, but how many Branson entertainers can even say that? The only regular performers I'm aware of would be Mickey Gilley and the Platters. No, she's not currently big and has switched to being as much gospel as country. But I think your comment was unfairly disparaging. When I saw her I thought she was still a pretty decent entertainer for Branson.

Just my opinion...

Good Times in Branson
Old 08-16-2014, 08:22 PM   #12
helppitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
Yes, it is a buffet. What can you say, this is Branson!

But it is not just one song... she had five singles to appear in the Country top 20. Sure, the last one was over 35 years ago, but how many Branson entertainers can even say that? The only regular performers I'm aware of would be Mickey Gilley and the Platters. No, she's not currently big and has switched to being as much gospel as country. But I think your comment was unfairly disparaging. When I saw her I thought she was still a pretty decent entertainer for Branson.

Just my opinion...

Billy Dean has 5 number one's & 11 top ten.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:34 PM   #13
helppitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
I didn't see that the shows listed were out of place at all. The following make perfect sense:

Tribute Show: Liverpool Legends

Family Show: The Duttons or Haygoods. Both are excellent.

Male Entertainer: I've only seen Benjamin Dutton and Mickey Gilley, but I think a good case could be made for either of them. As the last nationally known entertainer left in Branson, I wouldn't mind seeing it go to Mickey... especialy since he may not be entertaining much longer.

Female Entertainer: I've only seen Amy Dutton and Barbara Fairchild, but you could make a good case for either one.

Show of the Year: This is the only category where I disagree with the nominees. My candidates would be Six, Haygoods, Presleys, Clay Cooper and Sight and Sound Theater.

Your picks for show of the year are right on, in my opinion.
Female entertainer of the year should include one young lady on the Celtic ladies (can't recall her name right now). My best female entertainer, would be easy for me to choose, Nadia Cole of AYO.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:37 PM   #14
bransoncutie
Spectacular Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by helppitch View Post
Your picks for show of the year are right on, in my opinion.
Female entertainer of the year should include one young lady on the Celtic ladies (can't recall her name right now). My best female entertainer, would be easy for me to choose, Nadia Cole of AYO.
I agree -- Nadia Cole is incredible!!
Old 08-17-2014, 12:52 AM   #15
MNtraveler
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by helppitch View Post
Billy Dean has 5 number one's & 11 top ten.
Sorry, forgot about him. He's new in Branson this year, right? I haven't seen his show yet.

Good Times in Branson

Closed Thread