1 Branson. com MO Forum
   

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Living in Branson > Local Branson / Tri-Lakes Area Issues

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2014, 10:30 AM   #1
JoseyWales2
Super Ultra Member
 
JoseyWales2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,702
Trout Fishing

Having lived in Branson for a period of time where I just fished every day, I had a lot of experiences on Taneycomo with the trout fishing. Now living in Colorado where that is a huge industry, I can see just how far we have come with that sport.

I always found it funny that people would line up to catch the stocked trout day after day but having been here now for quite awhile, can see the necessity to the stocking programs. People DEMAND to be able to catch their limit of fish these days the skill it used to take to fish is fading fast among the population.

Also in defense of the stocking, without it, there would not be enough fish to satisfy the fishermen and women and license sales and revenue would diminish.

its also sad however that catching ones limit is paramount to a successful day afield. I fish almost every day and have found out that letting them go not only is good for the fishery but good for me too. I don't have to drag them home at the end of the day and they are just not that good of eating fish to start with.

I don't dog anyone who likes to catch and eat them as that is what they are raised for. Much like beef in the grocery store, you are purchasing these fish with taxes from license sales, tackle sales and other things.

I just find it interesting that we have come to this point in our outdoor experience.
JoseyWales2 is offline  
Old 07-17-2014, 11:08 AM   #2
MNtraveler
Super Ultra Member
 
MNtraveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nixa, Missouri
Posts: 12,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseyWales2 View Post
Having lived in Branson for a period of time where I just fished every day, I had a lot of experiences on Taneycomo with the trout fishing. Now living in Colorado where that is a huge industry, I can see just how far we have come with that sport.

I always found it funny that people would line up to catch the stocked trout day after day but having been here now for quite awhile, can see the necessity to the stocking programs. People DEMAND to be able to catch their limit of fish these days the skill it used to take to fish is fading fast among the population.

Also in defense of the stocking, without it, there would not be enough fish to satisfy the fishermen and women and license sales and revenue would diminish.

its also sad however that catching ones limit is paramount to a successful day afield. I fish almost every day and have found out that letting them go not only is good for the fishery but good for me too. I don't have to drag them home at the end of the day and they are just not that good of eating fish to start with.

I don't dog anyone who likes to catch and eat them as that is what they are raised for. Much like beef in the grocery store, you are purchasing these fish with taxes from license sales, tackle sales and other things.

I just find it interesting that we have come to this point in our outdoor experience.
That is why I fished exclusively for walleye when I lived in Minnesota. Northern were much easier to catch. If you found where they were, they were so aggressive they would practically hop in your boat going after the bait. Not so with walleye, where finding them and actually catching them were two entirely different things.

But I truly enjoyed eating walleye, and northern were virtually impossible to eat because of the huge number of small bones that were extremely difficult to remove during cleaning. Many people (if they like pickled fish... I didn't) would pickle northern because the process would dissolve the small bones.
__________________

Good Times in Branson
MNtraveler is offline  
Old 07-17-2014, 12:59 PM   #3
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: On the "Ridge" outside the Lou
Posts: 10,451
The restricted area of Taneycomo in the first three miles below Table Rock dam is quite a different story than the rest of the lake. With a protected slot length between 12 and 20 inches, and a restriction on the use of live bait, cut bait, soft bodied lures, and Power Bait it is not a place people fish to fill their limit. In fact, most anglers in that section of the lake exercise catch and release. They are very dedicated to the survival of the released fish.
I know one guide that takes clients to that area almost exclusively. He is also a taxidermist that specializes in no-kill replica mounts where he takes lots of pictures, and measurements before releasing the fish. Then makes an exact copy of your once in a lifetime trophy.
Below Fall Creek is a different story. Mostly a catch and keep trout park like area. The average length of time a stocker trout is in the lake is less than thirty days.
The fish are generally smaller, and easier to catch. But not all. There are a few that learn quick, and grow to trophy size.
So in reality, Taneycomo has the best of both types of fishing to offer.
Some people will never grow past the "I have to catch and keep my limit" stage, to the "I have to catch a trophy" stage, and eventually to the "I just love to be out on the lake fishing" stage. But some will, and Taney has plenty to offer at any point along the way.
I do fish both areas, have caught some pretty good rainbows, and have had days when I caught several times my limit, keeping from none to my limit of four. I also like the camaraderie, competition, and challenge of tournament fishing and have had some success with lots of top ten finishes including 1st, 3rd, 4th, and 6th plus Big fish (actually, my son. My partner in these team tournaments) in RAW, an invitation only tournament that is the largest on Taneycomo.
So from taking the whole family out on a pontoon, and catching a bunch of stockers, to targeting the trophy fish of your life, to seeking out a limit of "just a little bigger than the other guys" to win a tournament, Taneycomo is one of the best trout fisheries in the country.

Trav, anytime you want to join me you are more than welcome. I even allow moderates in the Gator!
__________________
Voted Branson's Best Trout Fisherman
rjw1991A1 is offline  
Old 07-17-2014, 02:41 PM   #4
MNtraveler
Super Ultra Member
 
MNtraveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nixa, Missouri
Posts: 12,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjw1991A1 View Post
Trav, anytime you want to join me you are more than welcome. I even allow moderates in the Gator!
I would enjoy that but know NOTHING about trout fishing. I went a couple of times with my brother-in-law in a northern Minnesota lake known for its trout. His fishing method seemed to consist entirely of standing on shore, casting out your line and slowly reeling it in, with as much canned corn and other bizarre stuff as you could possibly cram on your hook.

__________________

Good Times in Branson
MNtraveler is offline  
Old 07-17-2014, 03:23 PM   #5
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: On the "Ridge" outside the Lou
Posts: 10,451
My techniques are a lot different, and are dependant on conditions. First, if you are looking to catch numbers, or size. Then water conditions. Water flow, and clarity dictate a lot. Wind direction, and speed, clear sky, or cloudy, as well as time of day all are factors. Then with all those clues there is always a little "fine tuning" in lure size and color, or type of live bait.
I can never guarantee anyone that fish will be caught, but in over 20 years, and lots of information from Phil Lilley, I've figured out a lot of things that put the odds in the fisherman's favor.
Besides, normal, everyday stockers aren't usually that hard to catch.
__________________
Voted Branson's Best Trout Fisherman
rjw1991A1 is offline  
Old 07-17-2014, 03:29 PM   #6
MNtraveler
Super Ultra Member
 
MNtraveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nixa, Missouri
Posts: 12,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjw1991A1 View Post
My techniques are a lot different, and are dependant on conditions. First, if you are looking to catch numbers, or size. Then water conditions. Water flow, and clarity dictate a lot. Wind direction, and speed, clear sky, or cloudy, as well as time of day all are factors. Then with all those clues there is always a little "fine tuning" in lure size and color, or type of live bait.
I can never guarantee anyone that fish will be caught, but in over 20 years, and lots of information from Phil Lilley, I've figured out a lot of things that put the odds in the fisherman's favor.
Besides, normal, everyday stockers aren't usually that hard to catch.
Although my brother-in-law fished very seriously for walleye, he was a lousy sportsman when it came to trout fishing. If he was having no success he would chum the waters with a can of corn. I'm not the world's biggest sportsman, but that just seemed totally wrong to me. Kind of like "fishing" with a cherry bomb.

__________________

Good Times in Branson
MNtraveler is offline  
Old 07-17-2014, 03:55 PM   #7
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: On the "Ridge" outside the Lou
Posts: 10,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
Although my brother-in-law fished very seriously for walleye, he was a lousy sportsman when it came to trout fishing. If he was having no success he would chum the waters with a can of corn. I'm not the world's biggest sportsman, but that just seemed totally wrong to me. Kind of like "fishing" with a cherry bomb.

Well, it's done, but it's not the greatest thing for the trout. Even using corn for bait is thought by some to be hazardous because their digestive system won't break down the whole kernels. Causing a blockage, and eventual death.
If I take someone new to trout fishing with me the I most often start them out with night crawlers, or Berkley Gulp eggs. But I prefer fishing with jigs, or sometimes drifting a bottom bouncing rig with a fly simulating a Scud. The fresh water shrimp like creature that trout love to chow down on.
__________________
Voted Branson's Best Trout Fisherman
rjw1991A1 is offline  


 

Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
trout fishing FireInTheHole Branson Outdoor Activities 23 01-18-2012 10:49 AM
Trout fishing Dec. 2 & 3 rjw1991A1 Branson Outdoor Activities 2 12-14-2011 01:56 PM
Trout Fishing kz1983 Branson Outdoor Activities 3 07-14-2010 08:02 AM
Trout fishing 7/10/05 SemperFly Branson Outdoor Activities 0 07-11-2005 02:26 PM
Trout Fishing BRANT Branson Outdoor Activities 2 06-26-2002 05:13 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:22 PM.


--