1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Missouri Other

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 05:26 PM   #31
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotJLB View Post
A chicken feed project compared to Ozark Mountain Highroad . . . and who was it built to benefit?
Right or wrong, I'm sure the idea was to serve the Westward expansion of Branson. Things didn't quite work out as they thought they would. I don't think they expected the economy to go in the tank like it did. Maybe if they just would have run the idea by the psychic in that little strip mall at 76 & 165 things would have been different. But I think she was closed that day due to unforseen circumstances.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:43 PM   #32
NotJLB
Super Ultra Member

So, you really don't know, huh?

1992 . . . .recession??????

I won't rehash long gone days, and people.

Yes I will.

https://transportationforcommunities..._study/29/none

http://www.moldea.com/Ashcroft-SilverDollar.html

"The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is."
Winston Churchill

Last edited by NotJLB; 07-16-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:03 PM   #33
NotJLB
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
So, you really don't know, huh?

1992 . . . .recession??????

I won't rehash long gone days, and people.

Yes I will.

https://transportationforcommunities..._study/29/none

http://www.moldea.com/Ashcroft-SilverDollar.html
And what date was the first deed of property that is now Stonebridge Village to Cooper Communities?

7/7/1993

Hmmmmmm!?

"The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is."
Winston Churchill
Old 07-17-2014, 09:49 PM   #34
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

No, I didn't know. All I know is that it provides me an alternative exit from Branson without sitting in traffic.
Even when I am staying at Lilleys, I go around, and out rather than sit in the 76 traffic.
Now that the Fall Creek extension is done, that works sometimes, but still has more traffic on it.
I guess that was another waste of money to you?
Old 07-17-2014, 09:54 PM   #35
MNtraveler
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjw1991A1 View Post
No, I didn't know. All I know is that it provides me an alternative exit from Branson without sitting in traffic.
Even when I am staying at Lilleys, I go around, and out rather than sit in the 76 traffic.
Now that the Fall Creek extension is done, that works sometimes, but still has more traffic on it.
I guess that was another waste of money to you?
It is a GREAT road. Pretty, four-lane, wide-sweeping curves and very little traffic. I like taking the Charger out there for a little gallop every once in a while.

Good Times in Branson
Old 07-20-2014, 08:49 AM   #36
NotJLB
Super Ultra Member

Just to say the obvious, to acknowledge the elephant in the room . . . the Highroad did not relieve 76 HWY congested as promised, the IPR/SDC TIF did not relieve 76 HWY congestion as promised . . . so why should anyone expect this to?

Winston Churchill
Old 07-21-2014, 02:38 PM   #37
sanddunerider
Super Ultra Member

I question if it wiil help or not also......
They are going to take out 3/4 - 1 mile of 2 lane,(roughly)
replace it with 1/2 mile of 4 lane? (roughly)

HMMM>.. So where does the increased traffic flow start????
Old 07-21-2014, 04:29 PM   #38
Kalt
The Cold One

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddunerider View Post
I question if it wiil help or not also......
They are going to take out 3/4 - 1 mile of 2 lane,(roughly)
replace it with 1/2 mile of 4 lane? (roughly)

HMMM>.. So where does the increased traffic flow start????
Are you serious? That section is a huge bottleneck because of people merging into one lane. It will relieve traffic by allowing people to use the outside lane to continue past Indian Point.

Also, I just drove through Oklahoma for the fourth time this year and can say that Missouri roads are 10x better.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:08 PM   #39
MNtraveler
Super Ultra Member

I think some here would prefer it if Hwy 76 still looked like this...

Good Times in Branson
Old 07-21-2014, 05:43 PM   #40
sanddunerider
Super Ultra Member

Well, I guess we wont know until next spring/summer.

IF it is open in time in DEC. maybe we will see results for OTC, but I doubt it.

Time will tell us the truth
Old 07-21-2014, 05:53 PM   #41
MNtraveler
Super Ultra Member

When you evaluate the value of road changes on the routes to SDC, you have to remember that over those years, even during years when Branson tourism has been down, SDC attendance has been up substantially. We would have an even worse mess out there if those changes had not been made.

You also have to remember that although Branson tourism is down, the number of vehicles arriving in Branson may be up. A substantial number of visitors used to come in 60 at a time on tour buses. Now many of those have been replaced by family groups of 4-5 people arriving in the family car. Also, the older folks are not as fond of bus touring as they used to be, so many of them are now arriving in individual automobiles.

It would be interesting to see a Hwy 76 vehicle count going back 10 years or so. I'm sure that data must exist somewhere.

Good Times in Branson
Old 07-21-2014, 06:41 PM   #42
Kalt
The Cold One

I do a lot of service calls in the area and I can tell you that this will benefit us tremendously. I also use the high road quite a bit when going to Indian Point/Branson West and it is faster to drive up 65 then down the high road most of the time.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:13 AM   #43
OkieAnon

we drove the High Road once this time. It was us and well.... pretty much just us out there on it at that time.

as far as taking out the curve to SDC, I have to admit there's a part of me that hates it, been going out to SDC since the early 70's when there was barely a paved road there it seemed, and those curves right there were just part of it, it made you feel you were really heading out into the boonies.

yet I can see the need for it, there are to many who go the extreme thru there either to fast or to slow, cross the lines to the center or ride the edge to closely, so it probably needs something, my onlyis don't they have a big canyon to cross... are they planning to fill it, bridge it or will the road dip and rise there?

my complaint is where they made it a 4 lane on out to sdc, it was wide enough for three lanes and they made 4, you have to be very careful, esp at night.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:33 PM   #44
NotJLB
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieAnon View Post
my complaint is where they made it a 4 lane on out to sdc, it was wide enough for three lanes and they made 4, you have to be very careful, esp at night.
I've said that many times in our "bad road" discussions here. They tried to do too much with too little. With the new guard rails on the westbound side, there's not much room for error.

The scariest thing is when you leave the light at 265 going west with cars in front of you. They tend to drift over into the lefthand lane, but normally figure out that's not where they want to, so come back over to the righthand lane. It's the knowing that they are not knowing that is scary.

It will take a few deaths until the bean-counters change it.

I spent the last hour at a much-worse curve, one where folks go way too fast and drift over the center line. That's what happened and two you guys had to jerk it to right to miss that car, and wound up at the bottom of the ravine several trees later.

You couldn't even tell there was a car down there, but I saw a guy stumbling up the hill. I called 911, sorta triaged the two guys for 911, and directed traffic, most of it flying around the curve way-to-fast.

It looked like they took out the phone lines, too, if that's what those skinny boxes with a thousand little wires in them are.

Standing there, a young guy I worked with last summer came by, so he came back and we had a nice talk.

Hereabouts, never trust another driver, and never trust a curve. As they said all those years ago in driver's ed, drive defensively.

Winston Churchill

Last edited by NotJLB; 08-13-2014 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:19 PM   #45
Crazy4Branson
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
I spent the last hour at a much-worse curve, one where folks go way too fast and drift over the center line.
That statement could cover ANY rural road in southwest MO......
People "down here."...... do not know how to drive...... & I don't mean the tourists....

Closed Thread