1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Attractions

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 10:29 PM   #1
Junior

Does anyone remember Tanglewood Chapel?

Back in 1981, Lloyd Durre, who played the Old Shepherd in the Shepherd of the Hills Outdoor Drama, had a small log chapel built alongside Fall Creek Road. He filled the chapel with a dozen of his paintings, almost life sized, depicting the life of Christ. Tanglewood Chapel became known as "the Little Sistine Chapel of the Ozarks." Lloyd's wife operated the log gift shop adjacent to it, and there were nature trails crisscrossing the 25 to 35 acre property. A perfect little retirement venture for the Durres'. They actually opened the nature trails first, a few years prior to the chapel being built. The Durres operated Tanglewood until the early or mid 1990s, when they were at full retirement age and their health was starting to fail. Louise, Lloyd's wife, passed on first, then a few years later, Lloyd died in a nursing home at Marionville, MO. Their ashes were scattered at Tanglewood. The log buildings in the mid to late 1990s were leased to several others who operated mom and pop tourist businesses in them. The Durre children donated the paintings in the chapel to Friendly Baptist Church in Branson. The property fell into disrepair, the nature trails long grown over, and the property was cut into parcels and offered for sale. Anyone have any memories of Tanglewood? Please post your memories and any photos you might have. Tanglewood is a footnote to the history of Branson, not many remember it now.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:07 AM   #2
LaJoe
Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
Back in 1981, Lloyd Durre, who played the Old Shepherd in the Shepherd of the Hills Outdoor Drama, had a small log chapel built alongside Fall Creek Road. He filled the chapel with a dozen of his paintings, almost life sized, depicting the life of Christ. Tanglewood Chapel became known as "the Little Sistine Chapel of the Ozarks." Lloyd's wife operated the log gift shop adjacent to it, and there were nature trails crisscrossing the 25 to 35 acre property. A perfect little retirement venture for the Durres'. They actually opened the nature trails first, a few years prior to the chapel being built. The Durres operated Tanglewood until the early or mid 1990s, when they were at full retirement age and their health was starting to fail. Louise, Lloyd's wife, passed on first, then a few years later, Lloyd died in a nursing home at Marionville, MO. Their ashes were scattered at Tanglewood. The log buildings in the mid to late 1990s were leased to several others who operated mom and pop tourist businesses in them. The Durre children donated the paintings in the chapel to Friendly Baptist Church in Branson. The property fell into disrepair, the nature trails long grown over, and the property was cut into parcels and offered for sale. Anyone have any memories of Tanglewood? Please post your memories and any photos you might have. Tanglewood is a footnote to the history of Branson, not many remember it now.
Good stuff, Junior.

Off topic, but when I was growing up in south Arkansas in the early 60s we had a picture in the hall of our elementary school depicting the Battle of Pea Ridge. I believe it was the most famous Civil War battle which occurred in Arkansas.

Is that the Pea Ridge where you now live?
Old 09-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
preacherman
Super Ultra Member

I often wondered, as we pass them often, what those buildings were about. Thanks

Quote:
Old 09-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #4
shis1
Str8fn

Where on Fall Creek Road? Anything close by that I would recognize?
Old 09-24-2013, 02:27 PM   #5
Junior

In reply: Yes, same town where the Battle of Pea Ridge took place in March, 1862. The Tanglewood property is just up the hill from Fall Creek Steak House, on the right. Two little log buildings, and woods all around them. Anyone have any memories or photos to share?
Old 09-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #6
shis1
Str8fn

Quote:
In reply: Yes, same town where the Battle of Pea Ridge took place in March, 1862. The Tanglewood property is just up the hill from Fall Creek Steak House, on the right. Two little log buildings, and woods all around them. Anyone have any memories or photos to share?
Thanks---- we are ago that stretch quite often, but have never noticed those buildings. Hope I remember to look for them next time.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shis1 View Post
Thanks---- we are ago that stretch quite often, but have never noticed those buildings. Hope I remember to look for them next time.
Me to. The only thing I can think of is that run down area with the large post for a sign that was for sale a while back. Don't think those were log buildings though.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:58 PM   #8
preacherman
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Across from that big house where the "Kung Fu" people live. I think it was a B&B once?
Old 09-24-2013, 11:57 PM   #9
can'tcatchup
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
I drove that stretch a few times in the last 5 days too. Now that I got back home tonight, I wish I'd have paid better attention. Would this be kind of across the road from "Whiskers"?
Old 09-25-2013, 12:29 AM   #10
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Across from that big house where the "Kung Fu" people live. I think it was a B&B once?
Large white two or there story with big porch all around? Some kind of landscaping company next door?

If the "Kung Fu" people are gone, do the Marco Polo people live there now?
Old 09-25-2013, 09:23 AM   #11
preacherman
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by can'tcatchup View Post
I drove that stretch a few times in the last 5 days too. Now that I got back home tonight, I wish I'd have paid better attention. Would this be kind of across the road from "Whiskers"?
Yes, just up a bit more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjw1991A1 View Post
Large white two or there story with big porch all around? Some kind of landscaping company next door?

If the "Kung Fu" people are gone, do the Marco Polo people live there now?
Yes, that's the place. I'm guessing they are but don't really know.

Closed Thread