Go Back   1Branson.com > Miscellaneous Topics > Just for Chit Chat

Old 07-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
Zach7777
Pirate Fan

Andy Griffith's Secret Fight Against Paralyzing Disease

Andy Griffith's Secret Fight Against Paralyzing Disease
Sunday, July 8, 2012 6:53 PM
By Charlotte Libov

When Andy Griffith died from a heart attack this week at the age of 86, few people knew that his most difficult health battle was not with heart disease, but with a rare, mysterious ailment that almost 30 years ago left him paralyzed and at a low point in his career.
Griffith had just married again for the third time, to his wife, Cindi, after leaving his hit series “The Andy Griffith Show.” He wanted to make feature films. But his movie career hadn’t worked out as he had hoped, and he found it hard to get good roles.
“Ageism is rampant in Hollywood and, although I was only in my 50s, work was getting harder and harder to find,” Griffith recalled in an interview with Guideposts magazine.
SPECIAL: These 4 Things Happen Right Before a Heart Attack — Read More.
And then came his health crisis, which started with a bout with the flu.
“My illness was strange,” he recalled. As he began to recover and the flu symptoms disappeared, they were replaced by terrible, searing pain. Not only that, but when he arose one afternoon to walk, he could not feel his legs, and he suddenly collapsed in agony.
Weeks of tests passed with no diagnosis, during which Griffith was consumed with pain. Finally, the answer came: He had Guillain-Barre syndrome, a rare nerve disorder, which causes spreading muscle weakness and paralysis.
The cause is unknown, but it is thought to be an autoimmune disorder triggered by a viral or bacterial infection.
Guillain-Barre is very rare, affecting only one or two people in 100,000. It can affect people at any age, but is more common in those who are older.
It affects its victims differently. When it attacks the lungs, it can interfere with a person’s ability to breath, forcing them to use a respirator. In Griffith’s case, it affected his legs, forcing him to undergo nearly a year of recuperation, which included not only pain medication, but also techniques like biofeedback, a type of treatment in which patients are taught to monitor their bodily responses in order to help control pain.
Although the symptoms gradually subsided and Griffith was finally able to walk again after months of rehabilitation, he was left with a limp. He didn't know if he'd ever again be able to work as an actor. In fact, he’d made plans to leave Hollywood permanently and return to North Carolina. But, as it turned out, fate intervened, in this case in the form of a bad real estate market.
“At the end of that year, I sat in our unsold house with no bank account to speak of and no work in sight,” Griffith recalls. Then, his wife told him that, perhaps, that was a good thing. “Maybe it was God showing us grace.," she told him. "If we moved to North Carolina now you might indeed never work again,” she told him.
Encouraged by his wife, Griffith went to see his agent. Suddenly, everything turned around. “The upshot of it was I got roles in four TV movies that year,” Griffith recalled. Among them was “Return to Mayberry,” reuniting Griffith with Don Knotts and Ron Howard.
Griffith recalls wearing plastic leg braces, but he eventually discarded them “because they squeaked and the soundman could hear them."
During that time, Griffith also made the pilot for “Matlock,” which would run on CBS for nine years and relaunch his career.

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?"
Patrick Henry
American Patriot

Zach7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
bransoncutie
Spectacular Ultra Member

Thanks for posting this. Very interesting. I didn't know he had a bout with Guillain-Barre.
bransoncutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
SHOW GAL
SHOW GAL

Very interesting article.

I had never heard of Guillain-Barre syndrome. Is so sad that a man that gave so much enjoyment to others had to suffer with this problem.

Thanks for sharing the article.

Branson Show Reviews by SHOW GAL

http://BransonShowGal.wordpress.com/
SHOW GAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
Critter
Super Ultra Member

Thanks for posting this. Very interesting indeed!!
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #5
CLUCKINGHEN
Ultra Member

I worked with a lady who had Guillain-Barre she was in her late 60s and was off work for nearly a year, she recouped and doesn't seem to have any lasting effects. Also, one of our VPs wife was struck with this, she was in her early 50s, she was near death and they didn't know if she would make it, but she did and that was about 2 years ago and seems to be doing well now.
CLUCKINGHEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #6
bransoncutie
Spectacular Ultra Member

Jimmy Osmond's oldest daughter was struck suddenly with this disease a few years ago. I believe she was about 13 our 14 at the time. She spent a good part of a year in a rehab facility. She doesn't seem to have any lasting effects either. It it's extremely unusual for someone so young to have it.
bransoncutie is offline   Reply With Quote