1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Outdoor Activities

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 12:31 PM   #1
kshuntress

Fly fishing from the bank

We are leaving to head to Branson two weeks from tomorrow. The whole family are avid fishermen, but my 13 year old son has taken up fly fishing. He does pretty good for the most part, but is very much a novice. We are not bringing the boat, so he will be fishing from the shore. Where would be the best place for him to go to catch trout from the bank? And because he is only 13, will he need the trout stamps or fishing license?
Old 07-18-2011, 03:44 PM   #2
SemperFly
Super Ultra Member

if he fishes anywhere upstream from fall creek he will need a stamp, if he keeps them or not, it is still required. to fish from the bank, if you are up at the hatchery, be very careful, the water has been running almost non stop and could easily sweep someone downstream.
phone for generation is 417 336-5083. there are 4 units that can be running. anything more than 2 will be very difficult to fish for someone that doesnt know the area.
shoot me a pm, i would be more than happy to give you some fly suggestions and other tips so he can catch a fish or two
Old 07-19-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
if he fishes anywhere upstream from fall creek he will need a stamp,
Actually anywhere uplake from the Hwy 65 bridge in Branson will require the anual trout permit in addition to a fishing license. Although, there isn't much wade fishing until you do get above Fall Creek. The area from Fall Creek to table rock dam is the trophy area with a 12-20 inch protected slot length, and artificial lures only.
For much more information on fishing Taneycomo, and a tremendous amount of information on flyfishing the upper end go to: http://ozarkanglers.com/forums/index.php?showforum=4
Just scrolling through all the posts will get you some ideas of fishing below the dam.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
kshuntress

So he will need the stamps, but since he is only 13 will he need the license too? In Kansas you don't need a license until you are 16. I just want to make sure that I will have all my bases covered before we get there. Thanks for all the advice!
Old 07-19-2011, 05:59 PM   #5
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshuntress View Post
So he will need the stamps, but since he is only 13 will he need the license too? In Kansas you don't need a license until you are 16. I just want to make sure that I will have all my bases covered before we get there. Thanks for all the advice!
No license, just the $7.00 yearly trout permit. It isn't a "stamp", but a permit printed out on the yellow permit paper. Available at bait shops, Wally World, K-Mart, or most resorts and marinas.
Or go to the Missouri Department of conservation website, and purchase the trout permit and print it out on your own printer using standard printer paper.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
SemperFly
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjw1991A1 View Post
Actually anywhere uplake from the Hwy 65 bridge in Branson will require the anual trout permit in addition to a fishing license. Although, there isn't much wade fishing until you do get above Fall Creek. The area from Fall Creek to table rock dam is the trophy area with a 12-20 inch protected slot length, and artificial lures only.
For much more information on fishing Taneycomo, and a tremendous amount of information on flyfishing the upper end go to: http://ozarkanglers.com/forums/index.php?showforum=4
Just scrolling through all the posts will get you some ideas of fishing below the dam.

yep. my bad. i could have cost you $$...good thing someone is editing these things
Old 07-19-2011, 07:55 PM   #7
NotJLB
Super Ultra Member

I was at the bank today, and don't know why I would want to do any kind of fishing there. I've got a check to deposit tomorrow, so I'll take another look and think about it.

Our bank is pretty close to the lake, too, but I just don't think close enough.

We don't have much money there cuz there rates are so crappie.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:27 PM   #8
SemperFly
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotJLB View Post
I was at the bank today, and don't know why I would want to do any kind of fishing there. I've got a check to deposit tomorrow, so I'll take another look and think about it.

Our bank is pretty close to the lake, too, but I just don't think close enough.

We don't have much money there cuz there rates are so crappie.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:21 PM   #9
NotJLB
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFly View Post
Yeah, me too. I forgot all about fishing when I went to the bank today.

But, I'm heading to the bank shortly to go swimming. Maybe jet-skiing.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:26 PM   #10
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
I was at the bank today, and don't know why I would want to do any kind of fishing there.
The OP said fishing from a bank, and believe me, as his son gets older and more advanced in fishing he will be making many trips to and from the bank!!!
Old 07-20-2011, 08:45 PM   #11
NotJLB
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
The OP said fishing from a bank, and believe me, as his son gets older and more advanced in fishing he will be making many trips to and from the bank!!!
Boat: A hole in the water in which to pour money.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:07 PM   #12
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Boat: A hole in the water in which to pour money.

From personal experience...Inboard jet boat: A hole in the water into which one pours a lot of money!...But it's FUN!!!
Old 07-21-2011, 09:15 AM   #13
kshuntress

Quote:

Not his, hers. Hence the name kshuntress. And yes I do hunt and fish and am pretty good at it, if I do say so myself. I just don't fly fish. It looks like a hell of a lot of work to me He seems to like it though. Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate it!
Old 07-21-2011, 09:52 AM   #14
NotJLB
Super Ultra Member

Missouri is in the process of phasing out the traditional license-purchasing program, like at Wal Mart, bait shops, etc. They are switching to e-permits.

Retail locations can switch over to new equipment and keep doing it if they want.

http://mdc.mo.gov/permits/e-permits
Old 07-21-2011, 10:39 AM   #15
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshuntress View Post
Not his, hers. Hence the name kshuntress. And yes I do hunt and fish and am pretty good at it, if I do say so myself. I just don't fly fish. It looks like a hell of a lot of work to me He seems to like it though. Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate it!
Sorry, I didn't even pay close attention to the user name. Don't have the idea that because trout are the primary species in Taneycomo you have to be a fly fisherman. Many, many more trout are caught in Taney with spinning tackle. I do own a flyrod, but haven't used t in years. Small jigs of 1/8 oz or less can be fantastic fished with spinning tackle. Also, below the trophy area where live and prepared baits are legal most fish are caught on night crawlers or power bait. There is even a public fishing dock at the Cooper Creek public access that can be quite productive. Even the current state record brown trout was caught on power bait within sight of the Cooper Creek dock.
So might I suggest you take along a spinning rod spooled up with line no larger than 4 lb, and join your son on his fishing adventure.

Good luck, Bob

Closed Thread