1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Outdoor Activities

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 08:24 PM   #1
FireInTheHole
Livin' the good life!

trout tag

if you do not plan on keeping any trout, do you still have to have a daily trout tag?
Old 07-01-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
ggh
Super User

YES - you may not plan to keep him, but he's yours while he's on your hook.

Several years ago, we were all fishing on Taneycomo, when my friend had a fish on her line, her hubby leaned over to help her set the hook - he'd already caught his limit, and he was fined for exceeding it. It wasn't his pole, but he caught the fish.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:58 PM   #3
shis1
Str8fn

Not fishing for trout, but we had a 'young couple' friends....he and their girls were fishing.....mom wasn't, but one of the little girls needed help, so Mom, without a license obliged, and a conservation agent 'just happened by' and gave her a ticket for fishing without a license!!!!!
Old 07-01-2011, 10:25 PM   #4
Hollywood
Administrator

Trout stamps for residents and non residents are $7.00 Definitely better to have one to be safe.

Regulations available here
Old 07-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #5
FireInTheHole
Livin' the good life!

do you need a new tag for each day you fish?
Old 07-02-2011, 04:15 PM   #6
TheOleSeagull
Administrator

Trout Stamp Info

On Lake Taneycomo Trout Permits or "Stamps," as some of us old timers call them, are required for all fishing upstream from the Highway 65 Bridge and down stream from it if you are going to take trout into possession. In general, "Possession" means you do anything with the trout except immediately releasing it back into the water after you catch it.

The Trout Stamp is required in addition to any required Fishing License. There are many situations where a Fishing License is not required, but a Trout Stamp is.

Whenever you buy the Trout Stamp during the year, it is good until February 28th of the next year. i.e. Buy it Sept 30 it is good until Feb 28 of the next year. In general they run from March 1 to February 28 regardless of when you buy it during the year.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:24 PM   #7
TheOleSeagull
Administrator

Merely catching a fish is generally not" possession"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggh View Post
YES - you may not plan to keep him, but he's yours while he's on your hook.

Several years ago, we were all fishing on Taneycomo, when my friend had a fish on her line, her hubby leaned over to help her set the hook - he'd already caught his limit, and he was fined for exceeding it. It wasn't his pole, but he caught the fish.
Don't know about "friend and hubby," but I can assure you that the mere act of catching a fish is not "possession." As a general rule, possession will be determined by whether or not you immediately release the fish back into the waters from which you caught it.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:58 PM   #8
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
YES - Trout tags are a one day tag.
Daily tags are required IN THE TROUT PARKS. Not Taneycomo, or the wild trout streams. The annual trout permit is what is required on Taneycomo. Anyone fishing above ( Up lake ) from the Hwy 65 bridge in Branson, and anybody possessing trout below. As mentioned, it is valid until the end of February.
The main regulations where FireInTheHole plans to fish is the 12-20 inch protected slot limit where rainbow trout over 12 inches to under 20 inches in length must be returned to the lake unharmed after being caught. Brown trout under 20 inches are protected lake wide. No slot, just 20 inch minimum to keep.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:32 PM   #9
FireInTheHole
Livin' the good life!

so RJW1991A1, I will be needing an annual trout tag? I think I am either over complicating this or confusing myself. I just don't want any surprise fines on my vacation!
Old 07-02-2011, 07:52 PM   #10
FireInTheHole
Livin' the good life!

To possess trout, except in trout parks where a daily trout fishing tag is required. A Trout Permit is required for all winter fishing in trout parks and for all fishing year ‘round in Lake Taneycomo upstream from U.S. Highway 65 bridge. Must also have a fishing permit or qualify for an exemption.

that's what I got off of the Missouri Conservation website. The way I read it is that I will need to just purchase a daily fishing permit and then the separate $7.00 trout permit.

That $7.00 trout permit should be a one time fee and good for all year right?

I would only need a daily trout tag if I were fishing somewhere like Roaring River?

I was thinking I would have to pay $7.00 for a trout permit each day along with the $7.00 daily fishing permit. I think that's what I have to do.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:12 PM   #11
TheOleSeagull
Administrator

For Lake Taneycomo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireInTheHole View Post
...that's what I got off of the Missouri Conservation website. The way I read it is that I will need to just purchase a daily fishing permit and then the separate $7.00 trout permit. That $7.00 trout permit should be a one time fee and good for all year right?
For Lake Taneycomo, that is correct. The trout permit will be good until February 28, 2012. It should be pointed out that you also have an option of buying an annual fishing permit too instead of paying on a per day basis, but that will depend on the economics of the situation.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:59 AM   #12
FireInTheHole
Livin' the good life!

At least I finally figured it out. Thanks for all the help. It's always confusing with out of state hunting/fishing regs. Can't wait to get out on the water.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:14 AM   #13
SemperFly
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireInTheHole View Post
At least I finally figured it out. Thanks for all the help. It's always confusing with out of state hunting/fishing regs. Can't wait to get out on the water.
Good luck!! At least you will be in the water, catching a fish is just a bonus
Old 07-09-2011, 11:30 AM   #14
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Good luck, and looking forward to seeing a report from you if any of the tips helped.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:25 AM   #15
FireInTheHole
Livin' the good life!

I fished this morning at 6. That water moves so fast. Only had one fish hit my spinner, but as I was fighting, he snapped my line. I was using a white 1/8 rooster tail on 4 lb line. The water seems to fast to use my jigs.

Closed Thread