Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 08:04 PM   #1
MelanieHamilton
Super Ultra Member

McDonald's Launches New "Fast Food/Health Food" Chain

Interesting, if nothing else:
http://www.takepart.com/news/2011/02...lth-food-chain
Quote:
They can't erase years of creating double chins with their famous double arches, but McDonald's CEO Mike Roberts and Chief of Operations Mike Donahue are finally doing national cuisine a favor: they're starting a healthy fast food restaurant chain.

To make it work, the execs are pairing up with entrepreneur Stephen Sidwell and former personal chef to Oprah Winfrey and two-time James Beard Foundation Award winner Art Smith.

The new restaurant—planned to be one of 250 within the next five years—will open in Palo Alto with the name LYFE Kitchen, an acronym for Love Your Food Everyday.

It's no small irony that the men who brought high-fat, high-calorie food to the world in disposable containers through a drive-thru window are now planning to source their ingredients responsibly and locally, when possible, all in eco-friendly packaging. Given McDonald's track record of unabashed world domination, LYFE could very well succeed in making reality out of an idea health advocates have been tossing around since the days of the Big Mac's inception.

According to the Chicago Tribune, "butter, cream and high-fructose corn syrup are banned, and none of the food is fried. Sweet potato fries, for instance, are oven-baked. All of Lyfe's menu items contain less than 600 calories....The desserts are expected to be dairy-free."

LYFE's Facebook page reveals a sneak peek of the menu:

Sweet Corn Chowder: With cashew cream, vine-ripened tomatoes and fresh chives

Wild Mushroom Flatbread: Goat cheese, aged balsamic and choice of Italian turkey sausage or Gardein Italian sausage

Art’s Unfried Chicken: With all-natural BBQ sauce, roasted kaboucha squash, Brussels sprouts, or substitute Gardein chicken

Tals Ancient Grains Teriyaki Beef Bowl: A blend of steamed brown rice, ancient grains farro and quinoa, topped with teriyaki beef tips and stir-fried vegetables with your choice of beef or Gardein beef

Mmmm...sure beats the Big 'N Tasty. It's about time, too. As Los Angeles Times writer Emily Bronson York puts it, "Americans have never been fatter, nor have the trumpets of moderation ever been sounded so loudly."

~ Lewis Carroll... "Alice in Wonderland"
Old 02-12-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
Cleocatra

I would be willing to try it once just to see If the Food taste good.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:27 PM   #3
MelanieHamilton
Super Ultra Member

Well, the menu selections sound pretty good.

~ Lewis Carroll... "Alice in Wonderland"
Old 02-12-2011, 10:28 PM   #4
bransoncutie
Spectacular Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieHamilton View Post
Well, the menu selections sound pretty good.
Yes they do!!
Old 02-14-2011, 04:39 PM   #5
Mya
Mya

Is this going to be a drive thru?

"Blessed is he who has nothing to say and knows when to say it."
Old 02-15-2011, 03:44 PM   #6
LoveToTravel
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mya View Post
Is this going to be a drive thru?
That is another reason fast food is so popular. You don't have to get out of your car to get it. I admit, after a long day at work, it is so much easier to drive thru somewhere than to get healthier options at a restaurant where I have to go inside to pick up my order.
That is why I am so glad my nearest St. Louis Bread Co (known as Panera Bread outside of St. Louis) added a new drive thru! So much more healthy than McDonald's! But then it is also healthier for me to haul my lazy butt out of the car seat and WALK inside to pick up my food.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #7
Ms_Terese
Local Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToTravel View Post
That is why I am so glad my nearest St. Louis Bread Co (known as Panera Bread outside of St. Louis) added a new drive thru! So much more healthy than McDonald's! But then it is also healthier for me to haul my lazy butt out of the car seat and WALK inside to pick up my food.
You sure about that?
http://www.panerabread.com/pdf/nutr-guide.pdf
http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/nutri...itionfacts.pdf
Old 02-15-2011, 04:21 PM   #8
LoveToTravel
Super Ultra Member

It is all in what you choose to order. We like to get the half sandwich (smoked turkey is my fave) lowfat chicken noodle soup/ or salad combo. You can't get that at McDonald's? I am comparing Panera/Bread Co to the regular McDonald's not the new healthy version of McDonald's. I don't care for McDonald's prepackaged salads and would be more tempted to order a cheeseburger and fries. It is also more freshly prepared food (Panera) verses frozen fries/nuggets/burgers thrown on a fryer.

Last edited by LoveToTravel; 02-15-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:33 PM   #9
Ms_Terese
Local Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToTravel View Post
It is all in what you choose to order. We like to get the half sandwich (smoked turkey is my fave) lowfat chicken noodle soup/ or salad combo. You can't get that at McDonald's? I am comparing Panera/Bread Co to the regular McDonald's not the new healthy version of McDonald's. I don't care for McDonald's prepackaged salads and would be more tempted to order a cheeseburger and fries. It is also more freshly prepared food (Panera) verses frozen fries/nuggets/burgers thrown on a fryer.
All I know is that the stuff I love at Panera *isn't* low calorie or necessarily healthy. :-(
Old 02-15-2011, 05:03 PM   #10
LoveToTravel
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Terese View Post
All I know is that the stuff I love at Panera *isn't* low calorie or necessarily healthy. :-(
I hear ya! My favorite things at Panera aren't necessarily lowfat/calorie either but they also have some very tasty healthier options than I am now trying to stick with. McDonald's healthier options aren't appealing to me. My FAVORITE at Panera is the Frontega Chicken Panani, YUM!!! But that is 860 calories (only 9 grams of fat) . I have been getting half salad half smoked turkey or ham sandwich instead with lowfat chicken noodle soup or salad. At McDonald's I unfortunately love their fries and a McDouble or quarter pounder with cheese. Very bad. But their healthier chain's menu sounds good!
Old 02-15-2011, 07:59 PM   #11
Ms_Terese
Local Member

Panera's roast beef asiago sandwich.....*drool*

At McDonald's, I can have a Quarter Pounder (no cheese) and side salad for less than 500 calories, which I like better than trying to eat a "healthier" grilled chicken sandwich on that cardboard-like grain bread they have!
Old 02-15-2011, 09:48 PM   #12
linron
Super Ultra Member

WOW, that Sweet Corn Chowder really sounds good, I'd certainly try the new stuff out even though right now I can't stand McDonalds!

Closed Thread