1 Branson. com MO Forum
   

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Miscellaneous Topics > Just for Chit Chat

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2010, 07:52 PM   #1
Coach Man
Super Ultra Member
 
Coach Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,300
Exclamation Fatal Wolf Attack In Alaska

Grisly to say the least!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8565567.stm

Coach Man
__________________
"We Don't Need No Thought Control!"
Coach Man is offline  
Old 03-12-2010, 08:04 PM   #2
Cheesecake
Moooooooo
 
Cheesecake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 33,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Man View Post
Grisly to say the least!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8565567.stm

Coach Man
Ouch..that is so sad.
I recall my Dad and Grandpa and the neighbors after a rogue wolf. Geese, I never even thought about it being fatal to anyone but the wolf, which it was.

Now, I have a story. My Grandfather was born in 1879 in Nova Scotia. He remembers as a little boy the story they told him, about why Grandma didn't come home from berry picking one day. They didn't know what happened to her all winter. And in the early spring when the bears were waking they found pieces of her blue floral dress on a path where the snow had melted. After looking around they found the rest of her dress and I suppose bones in a hollow log, where a bear had dragged her for his winters meal.

And, every time he told the story it was ''larger''.
Her husband, slept in a brass bed on a front porch and was struck by lighting that hit the bed post.

No wonder I had nightmares.

I hope those coyotes out in my yard are not like wolves.
Cheesecake is offline  
Old 03-12-2010, 08:43 PM   #3
Critter
Super Ultra Member
 
Critter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 11,202
That is sooo sad. Are our wolves that aggressive???? My cousin gets on facebook and talks to my brother and me and he is from there.
Critter is offline  
Old 03-12-2010, 08:50 PM   #4
shis1
Str8fn
 
shis1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Central Missouri
Posts: 16,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post
Ouch..that is so sad.
I recall my Dad and Grandpa and the neighbors after a rogue wolf. Geese, I never even thought about it being fatal to anyone but the wolf, which it was.

Now, I have a story. My Grandfather was born in 1879 in Nova Scotia. He remembers as a little boy the story they told him, about why Grandma didn't come home from berry picking one day. They didn't know what happened to her all winter. And in the early spring when the bears were waking they found pieces of her blue floral dress on a path where the snow had melted. After looking around they found the rest of her dress and I suppose bones in a hollow log, where a bear had dragged her for his winters meal.

And, every time he told the story it was ''larger''.
Her husband, slept in a brass bed on a front porch and was struck by lighting that hit the bed post.

No wonder I had nightmares.

I hope those coyotes out in my yard are not like wolves.
We have seen HUGE 'animals' in our yard...we thought they were wolves, but the Mo Conservation people say 'no', they're coyotes....no wolves in Missouri ????????????? I miss MOSES! He kept them away!
shis1 is offline  
Old 03-12-2010, 09:20 PM   #5
fordarama
Clinging to freedom
 
fordarama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Antioch, Arkansas
Posts: 9,190
Mn , was just talking about the same thing, shis,,
So sad about that horrid attack,,,
fordarama is offline  
Old 03-13-2010, 08:22 AM   #6
Double Mom
Packer Fan
 
Double Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: To far from Branson
Posts: 7,405
How horrible, such a sad story. We have wolves around here, they have been in the field right next to our house. I used to walk every night with my dog but now go into town to walk. The wolves have killed dogs around here, come into peoples yards and getting them. There were 8 hunting dogs killed in a 3 month span while guys were out in the woods with their dogs. The DNR keeps telling us there is no wolf problem in our county though. We even had a cougar in our county, a picture was in the paper this week, a guy caught it on his camera he had set up in the woods.
Double Mom is offline  
Old 03-13-2010, 08:50 AM   #7
Cheesecake
Moooooooo
 
Cheesecake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 33,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Mom View Post
How horrible, such a sad story. We have wolves around here, they have been in the field right next to our house. I used to walk every night with my dog but now go into town to walk. The wolves have killed dogs around here, come into peoples yards and getting them. There were 8 hunting dogs killed in a 3 month span while guys were out in the woods with their dogs. The DNR keeps telling us there is no wolf problem in our county though. We even had a cougar in our county, a picture was in the paper this week, a guy caught it on his camera he had set up in the woods.
However, these dangerous animals are on the endangered species list and probably have more right than you do.

Bears, Cats, Wolves, should they be lose here on the farm, I'd probably get into trouble if I shot them before I called the Game Warden and he came out and placed a trap.

The Cows and Calves tho, are not endangered and it's okay if the Cat/Bear/Wolf has a meal before it's caged.

I can shoot only if I have absolute proof that the wild animal was endangering my safety or the safety of my cattle. (ie a pest).

If I have a predator here, they won't believe me, unless I have a photograph for them. (even our Newspaper Editor complained of not being believed cause in his fear and awe, he couldn't produce a digi shot of being face to face with a mountain lion.)
Cheesecake is offline  


 

Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wolf Ridge Lodge fire Indian Point biscuitcreek Branson Lodging 0 09-12-2009 07:06 AM
Escaped wolf shot? Darbecca Just for Chit Chat 2 04-17-2007 06:30 AM
Great Wolf Lodge Mookie Just for Chit Chat 1 11-11-2004 12:14 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:11 PM.


--