1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Missouri Other

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 09:23 AM   #1
OkieAnon

2 scenic drive questions..

first... curious where everyone's favorite - - - get out of the Branson hustle, traffice and people.. drive is, where do to go just for sightseeing? we always like going where we can see the lake, towards Kimberling city, the dam, Rockaway beach.

second... a question for fellow Okies... always take the turnpike up to Springfield then down to Branson when going then look for a different way to come home, usually some side road through Ark. Was thinking about taking scenic hwy 7 down through Harrison Ark. then back to Okla. on I40, wondering if anybody knows the difference in drive time between the southern route and the northern route, might help to hear from Ark posters, just how long does it take to drive from I40 up to Branson on hwy 7? been awhile since we took that road, if memory serves it was a very beautiful drive but kind of slow and twisting.
Old 04-10-2003, 10:18 AM   #2
ggh
Super User

I was going to suggest HWY 7 as a beautiful scenic trip - it's been a couple years since we took the trip via Hwy 7 to get to I40, but when we drove it they hadn't taken any of the twist and turns, hills, valleys or mountain tops out of the road! It is gorgeous! I think we decided it was about 2 hours longer to take HWY 7 than to take any other route to I40 from SW Missouri.

Time wise, I don't think the turnpike can be beat - BUT, it's definately not the most scenic route.

They should have finished up I40 across Arkansas by now? We drove it multiple times from Ft Smith to Little Rock, when they were doing mega repairs and rebuilding a couple years ago. We got to where we tried to drive south via the most 'direct' route from SW Missouri, to decrease our likelyhood of getting caught up in the I40 road work.
Old 04-10-2003, 11:00 AM   #3
OkieAnon

if the road work is slowing things down on I40 going into Ark. like it is west of OKC, then it'd probably be best to stay off of it, we drove into OKC couple of weeks ago and there was long strecthes where you were lucky to drive mor than 50 mph. how about it Ark. posters whats the roads like over your way?
Old 04-10-2003, 12:08 PM   #4
VBeason
Super Ultra Member

We take the drive out of Branson and go through Forsyth and over to Rockaway Beach. That is how we saw the flooded areas in Forsyth last year. Is a beautiful drive. You could also drive over toward Taneyville, haven't made that drive in a long time, but looks interesting.

Then of course, the drive to Harrison is a nice scenic drive as well. And they do have a couple of nice thrift stores/antique malls over toward Harrison.

And the drive between Branson and Eureka Springs that winds over through Blue Eye is a beautiful drive! That is the only way we know how to go to Eureka. The other drive is a little straighter, but it isn't as pretty or interesting as it is between Big Cedar Lodge and Bentonville, Arkansas.
Old 04-11-2003, 12:43 PM   #5
Alleex

Quote:
how about it Ark. posters whats the roads like over your way?
I don't know if this will help, but here's what I know about the road situation.

As far as I know, the work on I-40 is done between Memphis and Little Rock. Last time I went that way all lanes were open.

There is still work going on between Little Rock and Russellville (I haven't been any further west than that), and there are long stretches where only one lane is open in each direction. I would avoid this section if possible.

Russellville is where Hwy 7 meets I-40, so if you are going towards Oklahoma from there you might be okay. I'm not sure. Anyone else know?
Old 04-11-2003, 05:26 PM   #6
teacherkim
Super Ultra Member

We took Highway 7 last fall when we stayed in some cabins in Arkansas after a night in Branson. It made my children so car-sick. If you get motion sickness at all, I would advise against it. I'm partial to motion sickness myseld and it was not fun to have 2 of them in the back trying to hold it in. We loved the cabins but won't be going back because of the highway.
Old 04-11-2003, 08:48 PM   #7
ggh
Super User

Teacherkim - you've got a good point -

Everyone in our car gets car sick- BUT, when we take a scenic drive, like on HWY 7, we take it KNOWING it's curvy, and we stop multiple times along the way, so everyone can get out, and walk, and get some fresh air - which helps me alot.

We also pull over and let the cars go around us - if we're on a scenic drive, we poke along, which helps prevent the carsickness.

I think that all of us have lost our cookies, trying to get from Spfld to Branson at some point and time - we've learned LOTS about preventing carsickness - no perfumes, no sweets, LOTS of cold air, Fresh air, gotta be able to see out, COLD drinks, and most important - take those curves the same speed as the straight stretches, and go up the hills/mountains at the same speed you go down - and LOOK where you're going.

NOthing is more miserable than being carsick - but there isn't anything much more fun, in our book, than taking a long scenic drive to 'no where' just to see what there is to see. HWY 7 is one of those roads where you don't ever know what you're going to find!

Closed Thread