1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Attractions

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 08:20 AM   #1
bearmom465

Anything in Branson we should absolutely not miss????

My husband and I are coming to Branson soon and would like to know if there is anything we should absolutely NOT MISS!!!

I have read that we should not miss eating at The Grand Buffet (are they only open for breakfast and lunch?) and also that Chesters was good.

Can you tell me where to purchase/or get any discount books when we arrive?

Any tips you can give would be great. We will get our tickets for the shows we want to see when we arrive. (I've read that is best)

I just don't want to miss out on something spectacular and then find out about it when we get home...it doesn't have to be a show, either. Just something fantastic!!! Whether it's going to a park to view the scenery or eating ice cream somewhere...anything we shouldn't miss.
THANKS!
Old 06-04-2009, 08:45 AM   #2
bels0902

Not to be missed......Peter Pan! Wonderful show!
IMHO you can skip the Grand Buffet- last time we went it was not so great. Now Lambert's in Ozark, not to be missed VERY Yummy but you may want to fast for a few days before you eat there! Tons of food!
Silver Dollar city and Marvel cave are on the must do list ( the cave is at SDC and included in park admission)
Andy's frozen custard- yummy- An "Ozark's turtle" is to die for!

Last edited by bels0902; 06-04-2009 at 08:50 AM. Reason: more info
Old 06-04-2009, 08:47 AM   #3
shis1
Str8fn

The Grand Buffett IS open in the evening for dinner. But the coupons that you see for buy one, get one 1/2 off usually (and maybe never!) aren't valid
for the evening meal.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:52 AM   #4
Zach7777
Pirate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearmom465 View Post
My husband and I are coming to Branson soon and would like to know if there is anything we should absolutely NOT MISS!!!

I have read that we should not miss eating at The Grand Buffet (are they only open for breakfast and lunch?) and also that Chesters was good.

Can you tell me where to purchase/or get any discount books when we arrive?

Any tips you can give would be great. We will get our tickets for the shows we want to see when we arrive. (I've read that is best)

I just don't want to miss out on something spectacular and then find out about it when we get home...it doesn't have to be a show, either. Just something fantastic!!! Whether it's going to a park to view the scenery or eating ice cream somewhere...anything we shouldn't miss.
THANKS!

Grand Country is open evenings as well. Chester's should never be classifed as "Good", fantastic is more like it. .....Chester's also has an awesome breakfast, not a buffet but you will be stuffed when you leave. They are not open on Mondays and the only evenings they are open are Fri and Sat, follow the link at the bottom of my post for a menu and hours. Andy's Frozen Custard is your stop for ice cream type desserts, don't say ice cream in front of them tho! Tis' Custard!! I'm not a fan of the Discount books if you have to purchase them. The Sunny Day Guide and Travel Host have ton's of coupons and should be found at your Hotel/Motel, others with vast experience in the Discount books may have more to say about this. If you are attending shows you should find coupons in those two publications i mentioned that will save you $$$ on show tix. When you purchase tickets at the theatre be sure and present your coupons PRIOR to the purchase as it tends to annoy the Ticket Office people when they have to edit your reservation....There are many things to do, enjoy your visit!!

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?"
Patrick Henry
American Patriot

Last edited by Zach7777; 06-04-2009 at 08:55 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:57 AM   #5
leeannwriter
Banned

Don't pass up the Shepherd of the Hills homestead and tower. This is where tourism really began for Branson; even if you have never read the book or watched any of the movie versions, you'll enjoy the tour. The view from the tour is fantastic too. For the full experience, come to the live show one night as well.

I would not miss Silver Dollar City either. And the Titanic Museum is another amazing place that you wouldn't want to miss either.

If you are into history at all, don't miss the Ralph Foster Museum at the College of the Ozarks. This will be one of the least expensive things you can do in the Branson area but it's one of the best. While you're there, be sure to have a meal at the Dobyn's Dining Room on campus - their food is excellent!
Old 06-04-2009, 08:57 AM   #6
OkieAnon

guessing from the sound of the question this is a first vacation to Branson?

"absolutely not miss"

Silver dollar City would have to be on that list.

Peoples taste in music and shows vary, there's everything from country to Andy Williams to Elvis impersonators.

if it's a first trip, my suggestion would be choose one of either the Presley's or Baldknobbers, the two original shows in town just to get a feel for the old Branson. if you want some history of the area and another older show consider Shepherd of the Hills.

I think Dixie Stampede is a lot of fun

Being a country fan, i'd pick Mickey Gilley.

Grand Country Buffet is one of the better buffets in town, we've had the breakfast, lunch and dinner and like them all.

Dana's is good as is McFarlan's

some other "don't miss" things for newbie's would have to include Ride The Ducks, a trip to the old downtown area and Branson Landing, maybe a drive down to the Table Rock Dam area or Indian Point area. and you might want to leave a little time for shopping the outlet malls and craft stores

Last edited by OkieAnon; 06-04-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:06 AM   #7
Zach7777
Pirate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeannwriter View Post
Don't pass up the Shepherd of the Hills homestead and tower. This is where tourism really began for Branson; even if you have never read the book or watched any of the movie versions, you'll enjoy the tour. The view from the tour is fantastic too. For the full experience, come to the live show one night as well.

I would not miss Silver Dollar City either. And the Titanic Museum is another amazing place that you wouldn't want to miss either.

If you are into history at all, don't miss the Ralph Foster Museum at the College of the Ozarks. This will be one of the least expensive things you can do in the Branson area but it's one of the best. While you're there, be sure to have a meal at the Dobyn's Dining Room on campus - their food is excellent!
For sure if you enjoy museums you should go to the Ralph Foster Museum, one of the best I've ever seen. Also, the Veteran's Memorial Museum is very interesting.

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?"
Patrick Henry
American Patriot

Old 06-04-2009, 10:15 AM   #8
kstater1997
Ultra Member

I would highly suggest the "Sheppard of the Hills", so you can get a feel of the history of the area.

James
Old 06-04-2009, 10:18 AM   #9
KJN
Super Ultra Member

I really like the VIP coupon book which you do have to purchase. It can be purchased in their office on Green Mountain Road. By using a coupon for just one show I more than pay for the cost of the book. In the Branson Missouri Other section Pumpkin has a post at the top about the book and what coupons are in it.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:11 PM   #10
Zach7777
Pirate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellie View Post
Do you own stock in Chesters, Jethro?
.......yes......yes i do........i stop in every so often and purchase some more shares...!! Granny always said..."invest wisely, Jethro, food and moonshine..."

Patrick Henry
American Patriot

Old 06-04-2009, 12:15 PM   #11
SHOW GAL
SHOW GAL

My list of great things to do and see would include:

Silver Dollar City
Chester's Restaurant
Mickey Gilley Show
Veteran's Museum
Presley's Show
Famous Dave's BBQ
Clay Cooper Show
Titanic Exhibit
Rankin Brothers Show

You may have to stay longer than expected to fit in everything fun and interesting to do in BRANSON.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:25 PM   #12
LadyDrifter
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Silver Dollar City and the Branson Landing fountain show are a couple of our favorites. DH loves Famous Dave's BBQ on the Landing as well. Bass Pro Shop in Springfield is another must do for our family. Grand Country Buffet- we have eaten there several times and have not been disappointed. Tablerock Dam is pretty cool to drive out and see, and while you are there swing by the Branons Belle and take a look at it.

Also, another must do is drive the Strip at least one time after dark and enjoy the sights, sounds, and smells.

Have a great trip. Be sure to come back and post and tell us all about it.

Last edited by LadyDrifter; 06-04-2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:27 PM   #13
LadyDrifter
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Me again. Sorry. Just happened to think.. .if you DO go into SDC, buying one of their refillable mugs for drinks is the best route to go. Also, if you don't really want to eat from the skillets, don't forget the Mill and Mine restaurants. Not much more expensive and all you can eat. Food in SDC is a little high.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:34 PM   #14
Critter
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJN View Post
I really like the VIP coupon book which you do have to purchase. It can be purchased in their office on Green Mountain Road. By using a coupon for just one show I more than pay for the cost of the book. In the Branson Missouri Other section Pumpkin has a post at the top about the book and what coupons are in it.
I really like it too. It has a lot of mini golf coupons...buy one get one free. I think there are 4 different places. I haven't got to use mine yet. It has been too rainy every time we go up there. There is an indoor golf place though at Grand Country.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:49 PM   #15
Davidab53
Ultra Member

If this is your first time you must take in what has stood the test of time. If there are any 'Don't miss' attractions these would have to be it. Silver Dollar City, Sheperd of the Hills, The Presleys and/or The Baldknobbers.

Been around for half a century......must be doin something right!

Also recommend Dixie Stampede and Ride The Ducks.

Go check out The Sight and Sound Theater as well, even if you do not take in the show. The facility is beautiful!

Closed Thread