1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Miscellaneous Topics > 1Branson.com Welcome & Board How-to's

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 07:37 AM   #1
SK1

St Jude Home (Warning!)

Hi-I am new to the forums.I did read some postings re the St Jude Home in Springfield. I agree it's a great cause which I support & always buy tickets. A couple of years ago I bought them for my children & my son won!This is to let you know that IF you are the lucky winner, you must pay upfront the taxes on the assessed value! The assessed value in the case of this home was inflated by tens of thousands of dollars.It took a long time to sell and in the meantime taxes had to be paid property, state & federal on that assessed value. It is NOT recouped when the house is sold at a much lower price! Just so you know.There was still a plus but there were a lot of headaches involved. And I still will buy tickets and donate to St Jude every year. A family member was once there and it was wonderful.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:38 AM   #2
VBeason
Super Ultra Member

It is a wonderful cause and I too support it in every way. I also have a relative who was a patient at St. Jude and has been cancer free for almost 30 years. I have also been involved with every dream home done in Springfield, Kansas City, and now Columbia, MO.

Yes you have to pay the taxes up front as with any large "winnings". It can cause some headaches but I'm glad you got everything worked out for your son. I did learn another little tidbit for anyone who purchases a ticket, if you write your check "St. Jude's Children's Hospital" or even "St. Jude's", you can claim this as a deduction on your taxes. If you write it out "St. Jude's Dream Home" you cannot. Just a little bit of knowledge.

But I did find out that there is a person in Illinois who is against all kinds of raffles like this and has caused a great deal of headaches for the St. Jude's folks and others. This person even went so far as to go after a family in her own neighborhood because they were doing a raffle to raise funds for medical care for one of their kids. She has just way too much time on her hands.

Vickie

Last edited by VBeason; 05-27-2008 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:10 PM   #3
GreenMtnBranson

Fundraising

Hi there. Just want to add a note about NTAF - National Transplant Assistance Fund. Our son, Judd had a double lung transplant due to Cystic Fibrosis. He went to Barnes hospital in St. Louis, Mo. What a WONDERFUL place! Anyway, I did a lot of fund raising for Judd, and NTAF helps a bunch. They keep track of your money free of charge, and send it to you when you need it. Also, match your first $1,000 raised. They will send you info and material to help with a fund raiser, and answer any questions you may have.
We lost Judd a few years ago, but still do a pool tournament in his honor in Lee's Summit, Mo. every year. This year it will be held at Rack's as usual, and is on June 21st.
All I have ever heard about St. Jude's is good, and I think Barnes is the same way. Such a great thing to have in our time of need. Yes, this person must have too much time on their hands, and never had this kind of need before. I will pray for them.
Sandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBeason View Post
It is a wonderful cause and I too support it in every way. I also have a relative who was a patient at St. Jude and has been cancer free for almost 30 years. I have also been involved with every dream home done in Springfield, Kansas City, and now Columbia, MO.

Yes you have to pay the taxes up front as with any large "winnings". It can cause some headaches but I'm glad you got everything worked out for your son. I did learn another little tidbit for anyone who purchases a ticket, if you write your check "St. Jude's Children's Hospital" or even "St. Jude's", you can claim this as a deduction on your taxes. If you write it out "St. Jude's Dream Home" you cannot. Just a little bit of knowledge.

But I did find out that there is a person in Illinois who is against all kinds of raffles like this and has caused a great deal of headaches for the St. Jude's folks and others. This person even went so far as to go after a family in her own neighborhood because they were doing a raffle to raise funds for medical care for one of their kids. She has just way too much time on her hands.

Vickie

Closed Thread