1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Events

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 05:46 AM   #1
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

Parrot Heads flying to Table Rock this weekend

Phlock at the Rock to unite Ozark Mountain Parrot Heads for charity.

http://www.ozarksnow.com/apps/pbcs.d...LS01/708150361

Kathleen O'Dell
News-Leader

If Margaritaville, conga lines and Jimmy Buffett music unleash a tropical vacation in your mind, you just might be a Parrot Head. And you're about to have company — your flock is headed this way.

The Ozark Mountain Parrot Head Club will land Friday and Saturday at Rock Lane Resort on Table Rock Lake for the 2007 Phlock at the Rock.

The group's annual summer party and main fundraiser returns to the Indian Point resort with live music, food, Landshark Lager, games, a silent auction and vendors with Jimmy Buffett paraphernalia. Visitors who book rooms at Rock Lane can participate in a balcony-decorating contest, others can enter the pool belly-flop contest and the more limber can try the limbo contest.

The two-day event is open to the public, and all proceeds will go to the American Diabetes Association. Last year's Phlock attracted nearly 1,000 people over the two-day event and raised $12,500 for ADA.

Parrot Heads are loyal followers of singer/songwriter Jimmy Buffett, his tropics-filled ballads and parrot-adorned shirts. They love to party and dance and down a boat drink or two.

But Parrot-Headedness is also a state of mind, said member Marshall Price.

"It's more of a laid-back lifestyle and it's more than Jimmy Buffett. It's a tropical feel. If you've ever watched a sunset from the beach, that's what it's like," said Marshall Price, with the Springfield-based chapter.

"It's escapism," chimed in member Kim McNabb, a school-bus driver.

The Ocala, Fla., chapter describes fellow Parrot Heads as "a tightly knit, loosely wrapped bunch of Jimmy Buffet fans who would like to leave the world a little better than we found it."

"Most people think it's a drinking party club," said Ozark Mountain Parrot Head member Sharon Page. But there's a point to their frivolity, she said.

The Ozark Mountain Parrot Heads are part of the international, not-for-profit Parrot Heads in Paradise, which raises money year round for charitable, environmental and humanitarian efforts. There are 216 Parrot Head clubs in the United States, Canada, Europe, Australia and the Caribbean.

Official Parrot Head chapters are required to conduct at least two fundraisers for local or national charities each year. And nationally, Page said, Parrot Head clubs have raised $10.5 million in the last five years and have logged 1.8 million hours of volunteer work.

Since the Ozark Mountain Parrot Head chapter began in 2002, Phlock at the Rock has raised more than $47,000 for Ozarks charities including CASA, Community Hospice of American Foundation and the American Diabetes Association, Page said.

In that time, the club also raised more than $8,500 for the Sertoma Club, American Cancer Society, Alzheimer's Association and other area charities.

The Ozark Mountain Parrot Heads include about 90 members, ages 21 to 80, from students to white- and blue-collar workers and retirees.

Monthly meetings at a local restaurant/bar include a quick business session and a longer social hour with Buffett music, dancing, a conga line or two as the spirit moves them, and raffles or contests to raise money for a charitable project.

"A lot of people probably think that Parrot Heads are all about Phun and parties," Sharon Page said. "After I found out that Parrot Heads also do a great deal of charity work and fundraising, I knew this was the group for me.

"I guess I'd describe our meetings and events as partying with a purpose."
Old 08-15-2007, 06:00 AM   #2
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

Wow...I should join this group.
What a phun phlock!

This is ''doing'' something with your life, and having phun at the same time...

Anyone here a member?
Old 08-15-2007, 08:20 AM   #3
LoveToTravel
Super Ultra Member

I am not a member but it sounds like a fun group! I will be on Indian Point this weekend but at another resort.

Closed Thread