1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Shows

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 04:15 PM   #31
keysersoze

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Pierce Arrow is a great show. So is Presley's. So is Baldknobber's. But my all-time favorite is Grand Jubilee.
Bob... Not trying to pick a fight or disparage your opinion AT ALL and I know its your fav and I used to be in my top 3 but, I have to disagree about Grand Jubilee this year... Their host and comedy in my opinion is so bland and NOT funny.... The quartet is ok but certaintly not "Branson's Best" as the billboard says... This show hasn't had the chemistry it used to with Jimmy Ponder as part of the group. I do like the female vocalist much better than I used to and she is very attractive as well. I think Todd Bradshaw has a little of that Dwight Yokum vibe going on as well. Do you think it is that much better without JP?
Old 05-12-2007, 07:29 PM   #32
BobC
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keysersoze View Post
Bob... Not trying to pick a fight or disparage your opinion AT ALL and I know its your fav and I used to be in my top 3 but, I have to disagree about Grand Jubilee this year... Their host and comedy in my opinion is so bland and NOT funny.... The quartet is ok but certaintly not "Branson's Best" as the billboard says... This show hasn't had the chemistry it used to with Jimmy Ponder as part of the group. I do like the female vocalist much better than I used to and she is very attractive as well. I think Todd Bradshaw has a little of that Dwight Yokum vibe going on as well. Do you think it is that much better without JP?
Pierce Arrow is your favorite show and that’s fine; but my favorite show is Grand Jubilee and despite your rationale and not wanting to disparage my opinion, it is still my favorite. I shouldn’t have to justify my opinion here but hey, what’s a few disparaging remarks among friends:

Comedy at Grand Jubilee: The funniest comedy routine I’ve ever seen, anywhere, is when Jim Dandy as Grandpa Dandini tries to perform a magic trick with Mike Patrick reading him instructions. The material and the timing in execution of both performers are precise and hilarious. Their interaction with each other is funny throughout the show. (I’m a big fan of Mike Patrick’s piano playing and his singing and because that role is limited at Grand Jubilee, I see him also at Sunday Gospel Jubilee and Ozark Mountain Jubilee. I go to the Comedy Jamboree to see more of Jim Dandy).

I’m a fan of Jimmy Ponder, Dee Allen, Brad Allen, and Terry Sanders. I do miss them being a part of Grand Jubilee so when I want to see them, I go to the Branson Brothers Show where I can also see Diana Ponder, Natalie Nichole and Harley Worthit. I give Jimmy Ponder credit for forming the New South Quartet. Since they brought in Trey Wilson I believe they had two voices with the same sound (accent wise). The addition of Scott Leven and Matt Ranker to fill the void left my Jimmy and Dee was a good move for New South. Scott’s tenor voice is a more mellow sound than Jimmy’s (Trey still provides the twang in his voice that Jimmy had). Matt Ranker is an experienced and talented baritone who fits in smoothly to round out the rest of the group. New South still has the sound of the Statler Brothers and Oak Ridge Boys when singing their songs. Better yet, Michael W. Davis, the piano player who does all the vocal arrangements for Grand Jubilee, brings out the exceptional talent of each of the cast members. Have you heard New South sing, “How Great thou Art”? That’s a standing ovation-deserving arrangement and presentation. I also heard them display extraordinary talent as they sang a Christmas song last year, a cappella. It was totally smooth, precise, perfect timing, and rich 4-part harmony. While Pierce Arrow has Dan Britton singing bass and he holds the record for hitting the lowest note, New South’s Mark McCauley is my favorite bass singer; he doesn’t just hit the low notes, he controls them as he sings them making for a more melodic sound for the quartet. And I don’t mean to take away from Dan Britton, or Pierce Arrow for that matter. But my favorite is New South and now you have my reasons. “Branson’s Best” - I think that’s an accurate description of New South and the whole Grand Jubilee Show. By the way, that’s also an accurate description of Danny Yancey, Matt Hanshaw, Robbie Blackwood, Larry Allred, Wayne Massingale, and Michael W. Davis, aka the Grand Band.

You mentioned Todd Bradshaw. Truly a fine human being as well as being a very gifted singer. (Todd and Terry Sanders were very influential in my family’s decision to move here last year from Louisiana after Hurricane Katrina). We became Todd Bradshaw fans when we first saw him with the Grand Jubilee in 2003. We see him each year and believe he has gotten even better as each year goes by.

You mentioned “the female singer.” We agree on something. In my book, Callie Chambliss ranks among the top female singers, anywhere, not just in Branson.

You asked, "Do you think it is that much better without JP"? The show is not better because Jimmy Ponder is not there; it is better despite the fact he is not there. There is a difference.

Last edited by BobC; 05-13-2007 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:38 PM   #33
keysersoze

Bob all good and valid points and respect each one of them w/o a doubt. I do like Callie and Todd and think they have great talent.... Me I am an old school fan of the group I guess. We agree to disagree no problem there! I appreciate your candor and good nature. Thanks for the reply!
Old 05-12-2007, 08:22 PM   #34
TonySoprano
Bada Bing

Personally, I think Clay Cooper's new show dusts PA. And ALL live music too.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:41 PM   #35
keysersoze

Clay's show is ok, I like him a lot, but I disagree there big guy. It needs a little work. To me it was kinda like a Country Tonight light, less filling but not necessarly tasting that great. Good but not great and that is just my opinion I could be wrong, oh and one more thing Tony nice try but I ain't taking the bait.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:06 PM   #36
keysersoze

Tony glad your momma was able to drive you to the show to enjoy it.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:45 AM   #37
okieproud

Quick Update

We went to the night show last night and it was much much better. The sound was great and we were even further back then the afternoon show. Kim Boyce sang and did a great job and Dan Britton sang almost every song with P.A. Question for you sound techs...Is it possible there are certain areas in the theater where the sound just isn't as clear? Just wondering. Again, the show was really great last night.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:39 PM   #38
PlummerGal

Mike Patrick/Comedy Jamboree

Hello All
I haven't been on here for some time now. But seeing your conversations pertaining to the above and just returning from Branson last night I had to make some comments. Our group saw the Comedy Jamboree for the first time. It was a pleasure to see Mike Patrick again. I remember him from the Foggy River Boys when they were in Cape Girardeau for a concert many many years ago ! I agree with whoever it was who said that Jimmy Ponder and Dee Allen who used to be with New South should be back with them again. True, these other guys are good too, but I guess I'm just used to seeing Dee especially with them as I am an Oak Ridge Boys Fan too - have been Forever!
It looks like Mike is performing with several shows again this year - the more the merrier! Does anyone know if any of the shows that he performs in are taped to sell to the public?
Carolyn
l
Old 05-24-2007, 10:30 PM   #39
BobC
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlummerGal View Post
It looks like Mike is performing with several shows again this year - the more the merrier! Does anyone know if any of the shows that he performs in are taped to sell to the public?
Carolyn
l
Grand Jubilee tapes each show. You can put in your order during intermission and a DVD or VHS is available at the end of the show.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:52 AM   #40
E's mom
Super Ultra Member

Loved the show I told my friends about it and they really liked it also
Old 05-25-2007, 07:33 PM   #41
flyguy

We saw 7 shows this past week and PA wasn't appreciated as much as the others. We saw the afternoon show.

Closed Thread