1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Miscellaneous Topics > Just for Chit Chat

Old 10-02-2006, 11:13 AM   #1
preacherman
Super Ultra Member

Question Walking Preacher of the Ozarks" - info?

My husband's father (also a pastor) deceased in the "60's" knew this man (Guy Howard). He ministered on foot in the Ozarks in the "30's" if I recall correctly. Wrote a book by this name. We've read it. Husband just wondering if anyone had more info.
Preacherman's Lynda
preacherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:30 AM   #2
jbzmom

I just read story about him the one of the Parnell men wrote. (Dr. Parnell's brother) I will look up the name of the book, but it had stories about him and he was featured in Time magazine way back then, and it had the article printed in the book along with the pictures.
jbzmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:46 AM   #3
jbzmom

The book is "Postcards From Branson: A Century of Family Reminiscence" written by Todd Parnell.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:59 AM   #4
jbzmom

Here is the link to the Time magazine article. I think it said it was printed in a 1941 issue.

http://find.wakweb.com/wakw.main/sea...2bthe%2bozarks

If you can't connect to it this way, let me know and I will copy it and e-mail it to you.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:03 PM   #5
preacherman
Super Ultra Member

jbzmom - I did get that article site, thanks. Wonder if the "Postcards From Branson" book is available in Branson?
Old 10-02-2006, 02:08 PM   #6
jbzmom

I know the proceeds go to Skaggs hospital. It used to be listed on their website, but I don't see it now.

Mellie, do you think they might have it at Skaggs for sale? Did you enjoy the book? I sat down one afternoon and read every single word. I loved it! I don't know if someone who is not from there and recongnize all of the families and areas he talks about would enjoy it, what do you think?
Old 10-02-2006, 02:56 PM   #7
preacherman
Super Ultra Member

We were in the area once and had hoped to find some places mentioned in Pastor Howard's book. We ate breakfast downtown in Branson and ask our waitress if she knew anything about a Gretna church. Turns out her husband worked at the charcoal factory so they had eaten lunch out back and knew of the cemetery there. Of course, we knew of the Gretna road. Then we came across a book in "Dick's" "The History - those who walked with Wright" and it told of Gretna, it's church, etc.. We were sure grateful for the waitress info.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:23 AM   #8
jbzmom

Mellie,

You have to read this book. You won't believe all of the info in it. As you know Ben Parnell was a big part of Branson and a lot of things got to come to Branson because of him.

You will find out about bank loans SDC and Kanankuk did back when they started and how times have changed! I had heard some of the stories, but not the behind the scenes stories.

I think it was interesting how at the end (this is not a fiction story, so I won't be able to ruin the story :-) ) his Dad gets an award (I can't remember the date, but not too many years ago) in Branson and most of the other people were young that were in attendance and new to Branson, and they had no clue who this man is.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:53 AM   #9
preacherman
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbzmom View Post
I know the proceeds go to Skaggs hospital. It used to be listed on their website, but I don't see it now.

Mellie, do you think they might have it at Skaggs for sale? Did you enjoy the book? I sat down one afternoon and read every single word. I loved it! I don't know if someone who is not from there and recongnize all of the families and areas he talks about would enjoy it, what do you think?
This is a post answering my questions about history back in2006

I'm bringing it up again because we saw it at Presley's and bought a copy yesterday. Looks very interesting!
Old 04-29-2008, 08:18 AM   #10
Blaze2
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbzmom View Post
Here is the link to the Time magazine article. I think it said it was printed in a 1941 issue.

http://find.wakweb.com/wakw.main/sea...2bthe%2bozarks

If you can't connect to it this way, let me know and I will copy it and e-mail it to you.
It didn't work for me, I'll go to Google and type in
WALKING PREACHER OF THE OZARKS.

I would think anyone who liked SHEPERD OF THE HILLS
would enjoy this also.

Try this link:
http://www.walkingpreacher.com/

Last edited by Blaze2; 04-29-2008 at 08:22 AM.
Blaze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:14 PM   #11
GuyH

Walkin' Preacher Of The Ozarks Information

Hello,

My name is Guy Howard and I am the Walkin' Preachers youngest son. It looks like there are some questions about my father. I will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Guy Howard
GuyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:45 PM   #12
lindiet
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyH View Post
Hello,

My name is Guy Howard and I am the Walkin' Preachers youngest son. It looks like there are some questions about my father. I will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Guy Howard
Welcome to the board! Preacherman and Mrs Preacherman are going to be so excited to talk to you!
lindiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:52 PM   #13
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

Amazing Guy...we were so interested in your genealogy...Mr and Mrs Preacherman are going to be thrilled. They are always busy on Sundays....but they will really love your posting.

Welcome.
Cheesecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:12 PM   #14
SHOW GAL
SHOW GAL

Welcome to the board, Guy. I am sure there are so many interestng facts you could share with all of us.
SHOW GAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:22 PM   #15
biscuitcreek
Super Ultra Member

Guy, welcome to the board! Sure looking forward to your posts!
biscuitcreek is offline   Reply With Quote