1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Miscellaneous Topics > Just for Chit Chat

Old 04-22-2006, 03:33 PM   #1
BigPoppaPump
Jeepin' the Ozarks

Morel Mushrooms around Branson?

Hello all, I just found this forum, what a wealth of info on the local area! Here is a subject most people don't like to talk about... Is anybody out there finding any Morel mushrooms around the Branson area? Now, I'm not asking for any secret locations, but a nudge in the right direction would be appreciated. I have been hunting here around Branson for 3 seasons now and have found a total of four mushrooms. There have got to be more around this great countryside...any suggestions? Please help! I just love morels, and I'm really pounding my head here...
BigPoppaPump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 07:52 PM   #2
ggh
Super User

There are morels in the area - although until it rains it's probably too dry to find them, maybe we'll get some rain tonight and they'll show themselves.

Try the state land around you.

My experience is that if you find ONE mushroom, there are usually at least 10 more around it - but they blend in so well they are hard to see. Take a child with you -they seem to see MUCH better than I do, if I can find one, they can fill a basket.

Mmmm! A good fried mushroom sounds pretty good to me right now! I also freeze them, when we find an abundance, and crumble them into pasta sauce

How do you fix them?
ggh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 02:58 AM   #3
BigPoppaPump
Jeepin' the Ozarks

Thanks for the insight; I have in fact been trying the public land around here, like Busieck and the National Forest areas, but so far the only place I have had any luck at all is in the walking areas on the Taneycomo side of Table Rock Dam. Back in Bates County I had my usual "honey holes", and can't remember a year when I didn't find at least a good onion sack full, and some years I'd find them by the hundreds. I'll keep looking around here to be sure though, I just know they're here somewhere...As for recipes, I usually use the Bass Pro Shop cajun batter on my 'shrooms and deep fry them, after soaking them in salt water for a day to kill off any bugs they might be nesting. (and yes, I have learned from personal experience about the bugs...) I like them fried in a pan with butter, salt and pepper also. And of course, my favorite main course to go with my 'shrooms is wild turkey, which I must say are almost plentiful enough in this area to make up for the lack of mushrooms! I've never tried them in pasta sauce, that sounds VERY tasty...if I ever find any I will surely give it a try!
BigPoppaPump is offline   Reply With Quote