1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Dallas to Branson? Branson Missouri Other
Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Missouri Other
Register FAQ Members List Event Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2002, 11:42 AM   #1
MNtraveler
Super Ultra Member

Dallas to Branson?

I will be visiting family in Dallas during October, then spending a week in Branson on my way back to Minneapolis. I'm wondering what the best way to get from Dallas to Branson is. I see my options as:

1) I35 & I44 to Springfield, then 65 south to Branson.

2) I35 and I40 to Van Buren AR, then 71 through Fayetteville to 412, then 412 to 65 and north to Branson.

Option #2 seems more direct, but Option #1 seems like it might be faster.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Bookmark only this post: Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Yahoo Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2002, 12:03 PM   #2
ggh
Super User

I drove

`I35 to I44 to Springfield just a couple weeks ago - it took about 6 1/2 hours, interstate the whole way.

IMO, driving through AR isn't ever the quickest way to get to a destination, the roads aren't straight, and most of them are only one lane, but the view is GREAT if you've got the time. I love to take HWY 7, and enjoy the fantastic sights along the way!
Bookmark only this post: Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Yahoo Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 07-30-2002, 12:13 PM   #3
OkieAnon

we went to branson by way of will rogers turnpike-I44-sprinfield-branson, came home by going south on 65 to 412 and following 412 all the way back into oklahoma. if time matters i'd take the interstate 4 lane roads to springfield and south to branson seemed like we made better time this way plus it was better and wider roads. the return trip took us about an hour longer, but then you could chalk at least 30 minutes of that up to being stuck in road construction, lots of small towns, stop lights through springdale ect seemed like it took forever to drive that route, however if your looking for a more scenic route then this is probably the way to go.
Old 07-30-2002, 02:32 PM   #4
OkieAnon

thought we had taken a wrong turn and ended up back in branson on hwy 76, cars were backed up in 3 directions for 2 or 3 miles each way, no place to turn around no way to go forwards, just sit there for 30-45 minutes.
Old 07-31-2002, 07:22 AM   #5
LarryR

Dallas to Branson

Dallas-north on Hwy 69 to I-40.
East on I-40 to I-540 just past Ft. Smith.
North on I-540 to Hwy 412 at Springdale.
East on Hwy 412 to Hwy 65 near Harrison.
North Hwy 65 to Branson.
Hwy 69 is 4 lane hiway. Of course the interstates are all 4 lane (they just reopened the bridge that was knocked down on I-40). I-540 from Ft. Smith is very lightly travelled and scenic. The only 2 lane would be Hwy 412 from Springdale to Hwy 65, and it isn't bad at all. After the intersection with Hwy 65, it is just a short distance to Branson and much of it is 4 lane.
Old 07-31-2002, 09:51 AM   #6
DKA

We have made the trip from Dallas to Branson many times and have found the following to be the best route for us:
From Dallas take hwy 75 north to McAlister,Ok
Then take hwy 69 north to I44
Go east on I44 to Springfield
Then take hwy 65 south to Branson
There is a Steak and Shake on Battlefield Rd. in Springfield that is a good stop before Branson.
Have a good trip, whichever route you take!
Also, there is a good place to stock up on goodies near the OK and Texas line. It is called The Peanut Hut (or shop). There are several signs before you get to it . It will be on your left going to Branson.

Last edited by DKA : 07-31-2002 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-31-2002, 10:33 AM   #7
LarryR

Dallas to Branson

DKA, I forgot that you need to take Hwy 75 out of Dallas, then intersect with Hwy 69.
But, why would you want to go all the way to I-44, then to Springfield, then back south to Branson?
You would be going many miles out of the way that way.
Old 07-31-2002, 11:00 AM   #8
DKA

We prefer to stay on straight four lane roads where we can keep our speed around the speed limit. Someone told us that some of the other roads were sort of winding and they got car sick..But I haven't tried them, so don't know for sure. Anyway, we would miss the Steak and Shake in Springfield!
Old 07-31-2002, 11:46 AM   #9
LarryR

Dallas to Branson

The only road in my suggestion that could be considered "crooked" would be Hwy 412, and it's not bad at all. Now if you were to go on up to Hwy 62 through Eureka Springs, that's a different story. It's only 71 miles from Springdale over to Harrison (the intersection with Hwy 65 is shorter than that). It would be over a hundred miles longer to go through Springfield. Since there's a Steak & Shake in Branson, can't see driving that much out of the way just to go to one in Springfield. I guess I'm spoiled, I've got one 2 blocks from my house, and go there only occasionally. They are good however.
Old 07-31-2002, 11:54 AM   #10
MNtraveler
Super Ultra Member

Thanks for all the good information folks. I think I will probably take the route through Springfield. Mountain driving scares my wife, so the straighter and wider the road is, the better.

The first time we went to Branson I told her not to worry... that the Ozarks weren't anything like the Rockies... that they were more like the big hills we have in northern Minnesota.

Well, although the first part was truthful the second part wasn't. You should have heard her cuss me out when we started going up some of the steep grades between Springfield and Branson.

Fortunately after spending time in Branson she decided she liked it so much that she could deal with the mountain roads.

I don't want to push it though...

Old 07-31-2002, 12:07 PM   #11
OkieAnon

never checked the total miles but from the east side of tulsa where you get on the turnpike and head north to joplin-springfield and south to branson vs the same spot on the east side of tulsa and head east to 412 and follow 412 over to 65 and north into branson---- while going east is probably shorter, have driven both roads and going north to springfield almost always comes out about 10 to 20 minutes faster than the other road. last time driving the east route we probably avg. no more than 45 to 50 per hour with the narrow roads, road construction, small towns, stop lights ect...., the north route would imagine we avg around 70 miles per hour.
Old 07-31-2002, 12:10 PM   #12
LarryR

Moutain Roads

Wow, she really wouldn't like the jeep trails I drag my wife on in Colorado! The first time we went, she was scared to death, now, she tells me I've got a lot of room if there's 3' to a 300' dropoff!
Either way you go will be ok. I was just trying to save you a lot of travel time so you'd be able to enjoy the area longer.
Old 07-31-2002, 12:23 PM   #13
MNtraveler
Super Ultra Member

Larry,

Unlike my wife, I LOVE mountain roads. I think I may get up early some morning when she is sleeping in and try Hwy 62. How long do you guess it would take to get to Eureka Springs and back? Would just going to Berryville give me a good taste of the scenery?

Thanks!

Old 07-31-2002, 12:42 PM   #14
VBeason
Super Ultra Member

About an hour and a half to 2 hours round trip.

I want to say that we drive from Branson to Eureka Springs in about an hour. Berryville isn't as long a drive. Is good road though!

If you want a better drive and like windey roads -- take 86 off of 65 (go by Big Cedar and across Tablerock and through Blue Eye), joins 13 highway just north of Blue Eye. Then in Blue Eye (since part of it is in Arkansas), you are then on Arkansas 21 which takes you into Berryville by the Tyson plant. Is a shorter route than going all the way down to 62 and is much more curvey!

Fun drive though! Look out for the Armadillos!
Old 07-31-2002, 01:02 PM   #15
OkieAnon

might take awhile to drive it but if you want some curves take 76 out to branson west drive up to reeds springs get on 76 west and you'll find all the curves you could ever want, believe you have to go over around casseville then head south to e. springs.

Closed Thread