1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Missouri Other

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 01:46 PM   #1
TheOleSeagull
Administrator

Why wonít Bransonís major shows and attractions support the Gas Buster program?

The very first sentence of an Apr. 5 Branson Lakes Area Chamber of Commerce and CVB press release on the Gas Buster Program says, "Visitors will be rewarded with Gas Buster discount cards, accepted at more than 100 Branson area businesses." The release goes on to point out that the Gas Busters card is "worth $50 in discounts at participating area shows, attractions, restaurants, lodging and retail businesses."

"Seagull, whatís not to like about Ď100 Branson area businessesí offering discounts to encourage people to come to Branson?"

"Nothing if in fact there were 100 businesses participating in the program on Apr. 5."

The press release said, "For more information, log on to http://www.explorebranson.com/." On the morning of Apr. 14, nine days after the date of the press release, the Ole Seagull did just that and clicked on the "Gas Buster" link. At the Gas Buster link there was another link to "a list of participating Branson area Gas Buster sponsors." The list was conveniently set up in categories with the participants in each category listed by number. There were 7 attractions, 25 lodging establishments, 6 restaurants, 1 retail shop, and 14 shows listed.

"But Seagull, that wasnít anywhere near 100."

"Didnít I just say that?"

"But why would they say they had a hundred if they didnít?"

"Who really knows, perhaps someone was humming the song "Anticipation" when the release was being written and got a tad carried away."

"Isnít it kind of sad that out of the hundreds of attractions, shows, restaurants, and retail establishments in Branson that only a total of 28 of them are participating in the program?"

"Yes, but itís even worse than that!"

An inspection of the list of participants documents the obvious, that the program does not currently have the participation or support of the vast majority of Bransonís shows, attractions, restaurants and retail establishments. Even more foreboding, is the fact that it does not enjoy the active support of some of Bransonís most popular and advertised attractions and shows such as but not limited to: Silver Dollar City, Celebration City, White Water, Ride the Ducks, Dixie Stampede, Show Boat Branson Bell, Presleyís, Andy Williams, Cirque, the Grand Palace, Shoji Tabuchi, Shepherd of the Hills, etc.

To an Ole Seagull, the lack of participation by Bransonís major shows and attractions indicates that the real purpose of the Gas Buster program is not to actually give Branson visitors $50 dollars worth of discounts that most of them would actually want to or be able to use. Its purpose, apparently relying on the mediaís gullibility, was to use the program to get as much "free" publicity from newspapers, magazines, television etc. as possible.

Ironically, unless an Ole Seagull misses his guess, within a few months, the owners of a lot of these non-participating attractions and shows will be trying to convince the voters of Branson that they should vote a one percent retail tax on themselves to be used for the marketing of Branson. Why wouldnít these same attractions and shows jump at the chance to show their public leadership and commitment to the marketing of Branson by participating, particularly when the program is originated and sponsored by the very organization that most of them want to market Branson?

At a minimum, one would hope that the attractions, shows, restaurants, and retail establishments represented by members of the Branson Lakes Area Chamber of Commerce and CVBís Marketing Advisory Council and board of directors would participate in the program and, through their example, encourage others to participate.

(Note 1: As of 8:00 a.m., Apr. 15 the number of attractions, shows, restaurants, and retail establishments participating in the program has grown from 28 to 36. The participation of the major attractions and shows listed in the column remains the same, non existent.)

(Note 2: As of 6:00 a.m. on May 1 the number of attractions, shows, restaurants and retail establishments has grown to at least 62. Of the organizations listed in the column Presleys' , Ride the Ducks, Cirque (Remington), and the the Grand Palace are now part of the program. Counting lodging estabishments and the multiple shows at Grand Country the program now has over 100 participants. ) There will be no further updates on this article..

Courtesy Branson Courier
Old 04-18-2005, 02:19 PM   #2
shadow
NASCAR junkie

They're getting closer to 100. They're up to about 80 as of 4/18.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:27 PM   #3
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

Thumbs up

From TheOleSeagull
Administrator

Quote:
The press release said, "For more information, log on to http://www.explorebranson.com/ ." On the morning of Apr. 14, nine days after the date of the press release, the Ole Seagull did just that and clicked on the "Gas Buster" link. At the Gas Buster link there was another link to "a list of participating Branson area Gas Buster sponsors." The list was conveniently set up in categories with the participants in each category listed by number. There were 7 attractions, 25 lodging establishments, 6 restaurants, 1 retail shop, and 14 shows listed.

Could it be, OleSeagull, that anticipation is greater than realization, and riding along on the 'bandwagon' of do-gooders, is cheaper, and,

.... most likely no one like you, is peeking over their shoulder, and they would never be caught?

Well, now they have been exposed, and are standing 'nekid' for all to see.

Will guilt bring more on board? Or is it shame, that will give them the 'itch' to come forward and be counted?

It is always come-uppance, down in these here parts, that gives these good ol boys a hitch in their gitalong.............your boot might be just the straw that breaks the camels back.

The kind of GAS they have gotten over your expose', won't make the SUV go.

Good for you, OleSeagull !!
Old 04-18-2005, 06:25 PM   #4
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

For some reason (perhaps my vision ) I can't find the Gas Buster link at ExploreBranson. Would anyone have a direct link for me, please.
Thanks. I would like to see who's onboard with this promotion.

Last edited by Suselit; 04-18-2005 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:51 PM   #5
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suselit
For some reason (perhaps my vision ) I can't find the Gas Buster link at ExploreBranson. Would anyone have a direct link for me, please.
Thanks. I would like to see who's onboard with this promotion.
Let's look here What's New Gas Busters

See number 5 on the list for link to this list.

Last edited by Cheesecake; 04-18-2005 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:28 PM   #6
OkieAnon

#7 on the link
gas buster discounts not valid with any other dicounts, coupons or speciial offers
cannot be used on prepurchase tickets

so, as I read it, if we reserve tickets ahead of time as a lot of us do, and if the theater wants payment by credit card.... then those discounts won't do us any good.

nor can we use them along with the free coupon offers that are all over town. pickup a free sunnyday at the motel and get 2.00 off to a show or go to all the work of saving gas receipts and stopping at the chamber of commerce and still get only 2.00 off? get 4.00 off for a room or we're getting 15 percent off for being a repeat customer? seems like a lot of trouble for not much gain.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:35 PM   #7
teacherkim
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
seems like a lot of trouble for not much gain
I've always thought this. As to why the top rated attractions/shows/etc. don't offer it, my guess is that they don't need Gas Busters to fill their theater/venue/restaurant. They are doing fine regardless of the price of gas. It's the places that are less popular who need something to bring the visitors into town.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:24 PM   #8
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

So now there's 80 now!

But I am still a little confused about what you actually get as your $50 discount for coming to Branson and buying gas. It looks like the more ways that $50 is split the worse off you are. I would rather have 5 discounts totally $50 that 100 discounts totally $50.

I am having trouble figuring our the Gas Buster Promotion.

Can someone explain it to me.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:19 AM   #9
bgroman
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suselit
Sorry, not only have I having trouble seeing the link at the Branson C of C, I am having trouble figuring our the Gas Buster Promotion.

Can someone explain it to me.
From the Chamber's Gasbuster page:

Quote:

• The Gas Buster Discount Card has spaces designated for punch out, or mark-out once the appropriate value of the space has been discounted for the customer.
  • The Gas Buster Discount Card contains the following designated discounts:

$4 off per night for lodging (5 spaces on the card total $20)

$2 off per show ticket (6 spaces on the card total $12)

$2 off per attraction admission (4 spaces on the card total $8)

$2 off per retail purchase (2 spaces on the card total $4)

$2 off per restaurant receipt (3 spaces on the card total $6)
There you have it!

basil
Old 04-19-2005, 08:13 AM   #10
OkieAnon

we can find most of those same or better discounts in the coupon books.

how about some system where we can get what we really want... discount GAS!
Old 04-19-2005, 06:22 PM   #11
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

Is The Vacation Channel running the Gas Card promotion again this year? Last year they had "parties" at different business during the day and if you showed up you were given a card with good coupons and a Number. During the evening on The Vacation Channel would announce the day's winning Number and the winner received $40 worth of gas.

I never won, but the coupons were nice, BoGos and everything.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:19 PM   #12
TheOleSeagull
Administrator

As of 4:45 p.m. on Apr. 21 the number of attractions, shows, restaurants and retail establishments has grown to 51. Of the organizations listed in the column Presleys' , Ride the Ducks, Cirque (Remington), and the the Grand Palace are now part of the program. Counting lodging estabishments the program now has a total of 90 participants. Some of these changes have not been reflected on the chambers gas buster participant list as yet.
Old 04-24-2005, 06:00 PM   #13

I had to search the site...use gas buster...not gasbuster...you probably have this by now....http://www.explorebranson.com/whatsn...ters_popup.asp
Old 04-27-2005, 03:18 AM   #14
TheOleSeagull
Administrator

All most there but still no Silver Dollar City or Dixie Stampede!

As of 4:00 a.m. on Apr. 27 the number of attractions, shows, restaurants and retail establishments pareticipating in the Gas Buster program has grown to 59. Of the organizations listed in the column Presleys' , Ride the Ducks, Cirque (Remington), and the Grand Palace are now part of the program. Counting 38 lodging establishments the program now has a total of 97 participants. Interestingly,Branson's biggest attraction, Silver Dollar City is still not part of the Gas Buster program.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:17 AM   #15
TheOleSeagull
Administrator

As of 6:00 a.m. on May 1 the number of attractions, shows, restaurants and retail establishments has grown to at least 62. Of the organizations listed in the column Presleys' , Ride the Ducks, Cirque (Remington), and the the Grand Palace are now part of the program. Counting lodging estabishments and the multiple shows at Grand Country the program now has over 100 participants.

Closed Thread