1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Missouri Other

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 05:27 PM   #1
bgroman
Administrator

The grave site of the man Branson is "kind a named after."

A lot of the individuals and families that come to Branson never get to historic downtown Branson and thatís a shame. Interestingly, those that come on guided tours or by bus will almost always get to historic downtown Branson. Why? The professionals guiding those tours donít want their clients to miss itís old time atmosphere, collection of local restaurants, such as the Farm House, Clockerís, Branson Cafť, and The Shack, unique shopping, and "Dickís Ole 5 & 10 Store" because they provide an Ozarks experience not available anywhere else in Branson.

And of course, there is the reason it is referred to as "historic downtown Branson." Everything that Branson is today, including its rich family entertainment tradition, has its roots in historic downtown Branson.

Although itís kind of hard to put a handle on who the "founder" of Branson is; itís not to difficult to determine who the city of Branson is "kind a named after." That would be Ruben S. Branson.

Ruben S. Branson, a store keeper and school teacher in his late twentyís, started a general store near the mouth of Roark Creek and the White River in 1882. The general store had a post office and, you guessed it, it was called the "Branson Post Office." Ruben moved to Forsyth, a scant four years later in 1886, but the post office kept its name. Thus the "kind a named after," because Branson is actually named after itsí first post office, which, for obvious reasons, was named after Ruben S. Branson.

Each day hundreds, and perhaps thousands, of people, most unknowingly, drive past the grave of the man whose name the city bears as they travel to, from, and through historic downtown Branson via Okalahoma Street. The grave site may be conveniently viewed, without actually entering the cemetery, from the northwest corner of Oklahoma and Commercial. Just look for the large grey rectangular headstone with the name of "Branson." It marks the graves of Ruben and his wife Mary.

Article courtesy of The Branson Courier
Old 03-05-2005, 09:53 PM   #2
PatiCake101
Super Ultra Member

Thanks for the "Branson" lesson, Basil......I didn't know that....and I've been downtown on every trip we've made.....wouldn't miss it. I'll look the next time!

Thanks...interesting story.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:53 PM   #3
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

Thanks for the info Basil......very interesting.

I, too, will go look, next time.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:51 AM   #4
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

Thanks. That was very interesting.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:09 AM   #5
Double Mom
Packer Fan

Thank you Basil, that was interesting. Next trip to Branson we'll have to look for it!!
I get so much great info from this board I think I'll have to start writing it down in a book, cause I'll never remember all of it by my trip!!
Old 03-06-2005, 10:32 AM   #6
SweetSue
Super Ultra Member

Thanks for the history lesson. We'll look for the site the next time we are downtown.
Old 03-06-2005, 03:34 PM   #7
Gabriella
Super Ultra Member

Well, I think

if you all go to his gravesite, you should all take a few flowers with you. If I go, I will. It's about time credit is given to the man for whom your favorite vacation spot is named.

Thanks, Basil. I had always wondered....but NO ONE seemed to know!
Old 03-14-2005, 07:47 PM   #8
lostarm
Super Ultra Member

thanks for info

Closed Thread