1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Missouri Other

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 03:50 PM   #1
StaceySue

Trip Review: An Adults-Only Trip

For our anniversary, my husband and I took a child-free trip and met up with two other couples for a weekend of fun. We left Friday (Oct. 17) as soon as I got out of school and my mother-in-law came to watch my daughter. That put us in Branson at about 6:00 P.M. We checked into Southern Oaks. We had made the reservation together, so all of our rooms were together, which was nice to meet up with everyone.

Friday night we headed straight for Celebration City. We rode rides and ate dinner inside the park. Half of us ate hamburgers at the diner place and the other half had corndogs. I know, we were eating healthly! The hamburger place was better than I thought it would be. The park wasn't very busy at all, and most of the rides were walk-on. We stayed for the fireworks/laser show, and then we left. Some of our group was still a little hungry, so we were looking for a place to eat. Everywhere was packed! We noticed several church vans in all of the parking lots of nearly every place still open. We ended up at Taco Bell on the strip, but we still had to wait in line for several minutes. It was ok, though. We were in Branson!

We drove by the landing area before heading back to the motel. We saw two of the ghost tour groups walking down there. I guess they are getting plenty of buisness. We then headed back.

On Saturday, we got around early and got to Silver Dollar City almost at opening. (We were just a tad late this time). We parked in 76 parking lot. We had never parked there. The bussing was pretty efficient and it didn't take long to get picked up. The thing that takes so long is loading and unloading--compared to the trolleys and trams anyway.

We headed for the rides first. It wasn't very crowded at all in the morning. We walked on to Wildfire, PowderKeg, and Fire-in-the-Hole. We walked around to the Giant Swing and rode, and the swing wasn't even full for our ride. They were expecting big crowds on Saturday, I think the bus driver said 16,000, so the rides already were running several trains. PowederKeg was running three trains--Wildfire was running two. This helped make the rides walk-on in the morning.

We then looked in the Christmas shop. We added a shepherd to our nativity set. We add a new figure every year. We checked out the candle shop and bakery. We looked in several other shops. We then split up and found our favorite foods for lunch. For me, it's the bbq by the Lost River. It was good as always, and no one was in line. I guess it was about 11:30 by this time.

We finished up lunch and met up again. We continued looking around. We started making our way back to the Opera House area for Headin' West. When we got there at about 1:15, the line for the 1:45 show was to the saloon, so we went ahead and got in line. In no time, the doors were opened and we were allowed to sit inside. I liked the show. I saw it last year, and I wasn't sure how I liked it. I wanted to see it again to see what I thought. I liked it better. I still say the girl in the story could've found time to tell her husband she was pregnant before he left, but ok.

After the show, the park was a lot busier. We shopped our way to the exit. We picked up our group picture we had taken at the beginning of the day. We usually don't take those pictures, but we see each other so seldomly that we got one.

We left the park, and we all split up to take naps or look around Branson. My husband and a friend went for a swim. I relaxed in the room for a while, and then I put on warmer clothes for the evening.

We had dinner at Montanna Mike's on the strip. I had never been there, and it was really good. My husband and I each had a ribeye. They were cooked perfectly and had great flavor. I shared onion rings with others, and they were good. They were pretty busy, and they still took care of us well. When I asked for A-1 sauce, they brought it in little cups. I thought that was a little strange, but no biggie. I was stuffed when we left.

We then headed for the landing to check out the dueling piano bar. We had a GREAT time here. We had to wait about 30 minutes for a table, but it was worth it. We just stood around until someone left. I usually don't like to just go to a bar. I'm not a big drinker, and I usually find bars to be dull. But this was fun. We sang along and watched the antics on stage. I did have a strawberry daquiri, and it was good. The bathrooms are really cool, too. Elvis from the Legends show stopped in and sang a couple of songs. When he first came in, he talked to my husband for a couple of minutes. I guess Elvis said "This is better than going to Denny's, isn't it?" Ha!

We really appreciate having a place like this to go to when we are without our daughter. We don't have to just back to our room at 10:00 at night. We stayed until about 12:30. I hope more places like this pop up on the landing.

We checked out this morning, and said goodbye to our friends. I wish we could make this annual event--I need to suggest it! My husband and I went downtown and walked around before heading home to Joplin. Our friends had longer trips--Kansas City and Muskogee. We had a great time. Thanks for reading!

Last edited by StaceySue; 10-19-2008 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:25 PM   #2
Critter
Super Ultra Member

That sounded like a great vacation getaway!! I am envious!! I am glad yall had a good time and thanks for writing this review of your trip. Enjoyed reading it!!
Old 10-19-2008, 05:32 PM   #3
teacherkim
Super Ultra Member

Sounds like a great trip! I *love* Ernie Biggs. The night we were there, Desta from Pierce Arrow came in and sang a few songs.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:34 PM   #4
E's mom
Super Ultra Member

Thanks for the review!
Old 10-19-2008, 07:27 PM   #5
Branson Queen
Ultra Member

Great review! Thanks!
Old 10-19-2008, 07:29 PM   #6
ashbris
Super Ultra Member

That sounds like a lot of fun. We are going to have to check out that bar! I have heard good things about it. Thanks for the review.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:00 AM   #7
CHRISTISAM2001
El Grando Branson Lover

Thanks for the reviews...glad yall had a great time!!
Old 10-21-2008, 05:52 PM   #8
StaceySue

The nativity sets are Fontanini, so even if SDC stops selling them, you could still find them. I love that they are made of some resin-type material. I don't have to worry about them breaking. We also usually use our coupon we get with our season passes, so we save just a little bit. We really enjoy picking out new figurines for the set.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:42 PM   #9
Country Gal
Carrie Underwood Fan

Thanks for the review!!
Old 10-24-2008, 08:54 AM   #10
Double Mom
Packer Fan

It sounds like it was a fun trip!

Closed Thread