Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Shows

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 07:13 AM   #16
bransoncutie
Spectacular Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WireRoad View Post
I get what you're saying here but let's keep it real...currently popular Country Music isn't even really "Country" anymore. I think the BK's have sort of updated their music the last couple of years at least. Have they updated it enough? I don't have that answer.
It's what Branson was built on, but sadly yes, I think the days of Hillbilly comedians are behind us. But then again...how does that logic apply to Presley's Herkimer and Cecil? I don't know their stats, but they seem to be doing just fine. Things are changing a lot in Branson, and it's a tough time. I'm not sure anyone has the definite answer on what to do to turn things around.
When I was at their show on December 30, there was really no old, true country music. The show has evolved in to all of the new so-called "country" music. Don't get me wrong, I like both, and I think there's a place for both. But they had way too many rock-style guitar solos - practically one in every single song - for many. I know the people I was with sure didn't like it. Not with every song.

Again I have to ask, why get rid of Droopy Drawers and NOT Hargus? I can not totally wrap my head around that. If they were wanting to get rid of the Hillbilly humor altogether, why keep Hargus? He really does nothing BUT Hillbilly humor. Heck, even his appearance screams Hillbilly!
Old 01-10-2020, 08:20 AM   #17
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

From the Branson Independent

“My son decided to FIRE my husband, his father,” Patty Mabe wrote in a Facebook posting Thursday. “I am in shock and grieving not only the loss of the job Tim loved but the loss of a 60 year legacy and a living legend, Droopy Drawers.”

More here:
http://ozarksindependent.com/2020/01...knobbers-show/
Old 01-10-2020, 08:29 AM   #18
GNEE
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bransoncutie View Post
When I was at their show on December 30, there was really no old, true country music. The show has evolved in to all of the new so-called "country" music. Don't get me wrong, I like both, and I think there's a place for both. But they had way too many rock-style guitar solos - practically one in every single song - for many. I know the people I was with sure didn't like it. Not with every song.

Again I have to ask, why get rid of Droopy Drawers and NOT Hargus? I can not totally wrap my head around that. If they were wanting to get rid of the Hillbilly humor altogether, why keep Hargus? He really does nothing BUT Hillbilly humor. Heck, even his appearance screams Hillbilly!
Maybe because Hargus is funny, Droopy Drawers not at all.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:18 AM   #19
WireRoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bransoncutie View Post
Excellent point. Basically the current popular Country Music sounds like 70's Rock to me. But I guess that's what is selling now. Grant Moody is great at that style, but IMO, it's not true Country Music. (but nobody asked me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNEE View Post
Maybe because Hargus is funny, Droopy Drawers not at all.
Well, I hate to say it but this may be legit. I worked with Moe Bandy for a period in the 90's at the Caravelle and Hargus did comedy and the guy was a complete nut onstage and off, and a super nice guy. I'm really not that familiar with Droop's work. As someone has already posted, it's just heartbreaking to see the Mabe family blown apart like this. All the father/son friction portrayed in Branson Famous may not have been an act after all.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:21 AM   #20
OkieAnon

Droopy Drawers was irritating as heck in my view. Haven't been to the Baldknobbers in years, went to their 50th anniversary I think and that was the last show attended, several reasons, didn't care for the "reality show" for one thing, another was that stupid washboard Droopy always had. Some singer would start in on a song you wanted to hear and get drowned out by the whomp whomp whomping of the washboard.

this whole thing looks like a very dysfunctional family feud playing out on facebook, ain't facebook wonderful the whole world can see us fight.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:49 AM   #21
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Excellent point. Basically the current popular Country Music sounds like 70's Rock to me. But I guess that's what is selling now.
That's why it's selling now! When rap, hip hop, and boy bands took over the rock genre the "new country" era began. Without that transformation the country music genre would have just kept lumbering along.

Quote:
All the father/son friction portrayed in Branson Famous may not have been an act after all.
Along with the basis of most of the rest of the show.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:50 AM   #22
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieAnon View Post
Droopy Drawers was irritating as heck in my view. Haven't been to the Baldknobbers in years, went to their 50th anniversary I think and that was the last show attended, several reasons, didn't care for the "reality show" for one thing, another was that stupid washboard Droopy always had. Some singer would start in on a song you wanted to hear and get drowned out by the whomp whomp whomping of the washboard.

this whole thing looks like a very dysfunctional family feud playing out on facebook, ain't facebook wonderful the whole world can see us fight.
I don’t recall any other Family Shows in Branson handling cast changes like this.
For example, The Dutton’s and The Haywood’s Show both handled their within family cast changes in a much more respectful way.

If the Mabe Family wanted to change the direction of their show for business reason, was there no other part in the show that the Mother and Father were able to perform?
Old 01-10-2020, 04:33 PM   #23
Branson Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suselit View Post
I don’t recall any other Family Shows in Branson handling cast changes like this.
For example, The Dutton’s and The Haywood’s Show both handled their within family cast changes in a much more respectful way.

If the Mabe Family wanted to change the direction of their show for business reason, was there no other part in the show that the Mother and Father were able to perform?
Suselit you are correct. I had the pleasure of renting two venues from The Haygoods a few years ago and they are dedicated to presenting a high-quality production and treat their customers with respect and appreciation. It must be very difficult to have a family business, especially with such a large family, and many people in town could learn a lesson by watching the way The Haygoods conduct business.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:57 PM   #24
leftsaidted
Ultra Member

maybe, just MAYBE, it's because DROOPY AND COMPANY refused to leave gracefully???? So the new OWNER/MANAGER of the show, you know, the PERSON IN CHARGE, was forced to FIRE them??? And maybe the Duttons, Haygoods, and other family shows who had "cast changes" had family member who exited with dignity and grace, knowing THEY did not call the shots? Sorry, but THE BOSS wins, each and every time! If you didn't learn that at 20, you are going to learn that at 60!!
Old 01-10-2020, 05:34 PM   #25
Branson Junkie
Super Ultra Member

I have no insider knowledge of this situation, but I'd say things have been on a downhill spiral for several years with 2 unexpected deaths - one the person who was really the brains of the outfit - which left them reeling. Then came the financial downturn that lead to the loss of their theater. Someone had to take the helm and good or bad that was Brandon. That meant his wife was now involved and undoubtedly she enjoys that position of authority. First to go was Brandon's mom - it's hard for two women like them to get along - and I guess Dad was next.
I'm old school country, and though it wasn't in the show we saw last year, we did enjoy it and planned to attend this spring. Not sure now, although Hargus might get me back. He's one of Branson's best country comedians.
I doubt they'll survive, but time will tell. If not I'm wondering what Brandon's next career move will be.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:18 PM   #26
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

What's most surprising is that people are actually surprised. Pretty obvious when they lost their own theater to the bank because they couldn't sell enough tickets to pay the loan they took out because they couldn't sell enough tickets to operate that big changes would be made to try to not sink any further. Problem is, too little, too late.
To survive in Branson 2020 they will need major rebranding which they most likely don have the funds to do.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:37 PM   #27
mikee
Ultra Member

Unhappy Baldknobbers

When the show moved, the big sign at the old theater could have said show moved to _____________. I recall driving by the old theater and I think the sign was empty until it was removed. I would think that the Bank would have permitted them to put new information on the sign, if they asked. Maybe not. Anyway, one of their big mistakes was the T. V. show ,even if not all true it showed that there were a lot of problems going on among the owners and others involved in the production etc, I hope the show makes it, but time will tell.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:14 PM   #28
biscuitcreek
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmschoen View Post
What's going on at the Baldknobbers? Seen Tim Mabe posted this on facebook:

As of 2:15 this afternoon the Droopy Character is over, My son and the other partners have agreed to let me go from stage,and Patty had already been let go from Gospel!The legacy is over for my dads Character🥴 He said my 25 percent can be kept, but I haven’t seen anything from that in 3yrs. Hargus will remain and I’m happy for him. Please pray for us because we have just recently filed Bankruptcy trying to keep the other business going and now no insurance, it’s going to be hard, but GOD will get us through it somehow I know.Love you all and thank you all for your support over the past 37yrs. God Bless you all😇❤️❤️❤️ Some of my last 2 pictures...SO SAD😢😭
It says my son and the other partners...

Who are the other partners making decisions?
Old 01-11-2020, 08:34 PM   #29
sanddunerider
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjw1991A1 View Post
What's most surprising is that people are actually surprised. Pretty obvious when they lost their own theater to the bank because they couldn't sell enough tickets to pay the loan they took out because they couldn't sell enough tickets to operate that big changes would be made to try to not sink any further. Problem is, too little, too late.
To survive in Branson 2020 they will need major rebranding which they most likely don have the funds to do.
MAJOR rebranding is right..
I thought all along they should have renamed the show when the changed venues.
Drop the name,
Drop the hillbilly antics..
Step up the music...,
Give the folks a quality show..
People will come...
Old 01-12-2020, 04:13 PM   #30
WireRoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitcreek View Post
It says my son and the other partners...

Who are the other partners making decisions?
That probably means the partners that bought the current theater they're in.

Closed Thread