1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Living in Branson > Local Branson / Tri-Lakes Area Issues

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 10:05 AM   #1
UPNORTH

Current low water on Lake Taneycomo

Rumors abound on why the water level is so low, most say they never saw it this low. They lower it to repair bladders on Powersite Dam in the past.

But digging around to find out anything I was told that they have a turbine issue at Powersite, so they lowered the water level. Said that they cannot fix it until Bull Shoals water levels drop. How much, don't know. Bull Shoals is currently at 688, the highest it has been all year. With Beaver Lake at almost 1129 (full pool at 1130), and all the rain we have been getting, this low water condition may be around for some time.

Maybe this "rumor" is all true, I don't know. Thought I'd share it.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:18 PM   #2
leftsaidted
Ultra Member

Well...not sure what anyone is talking about...I have been at the Landing off and on for the last 3 or 4 days, and I did NOT see Taneycomo being low, at all...as a matter of fact, I have seen it MUCH lower, on many occasions, than it is currently...at least over the last few days...
Old 07-06-2019, 06:44 PM   #3
DalmatianDad
aka - DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftsaidted View Post
Well...not sure what anyone is talking about...I have been at the Landing off and on for the last 3 or 4 days, and I did NOT see Taneycomo being low, at all...as a matter of fact, I have seen it MUCH lower, on many occasions, than it is currently...at least over the last few days...
Depends where you look. While the Landing looks about normal, if you go to the overlook you can see the difference in the vicinity of Point Royale. I've also seen it lower in previous years. More changes in the days to come.

Tweet others as you would like to be tweeted.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:54 AM   #4
UPNORTH

At the Landing, the sandbar downstream from the lower bridge is reaally out of the water when the lake is this low. If you check the 7 day water level, seems the water drains overnight then fills back up late afternoon. This morning, the water looks "normal", not drained down in days.

It doesn't make much sense that the turbine issue rumor is tied to the water level daily fluctuations. Seems there is something else going on.

So Dan, did you inply that the lake levels are going to continue to fluctuate? I looked for news articles and didn't see anything. But, its hard to catch the free printed newspapers and I miss most news!
Old 07-09-2019, 02:54 PM   #5
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

No rumor, problems with one of the air bladders at Powersite dam.
Quote:
Forsyth MO. - On or about the 28th of June, 2019, a air bladder mechanism failed at Powersite Dam resulting in the top retention area lowering. This allowed water levels at Taneycomo Lake to plummet to such an extent that some dock owners went out to find their docks were resting on mud!

The effects of lowering water levels fro 702 feet msl to 698 were easy to see! Areas that were normally covered with two to three feet of water were laid bare!
https://forsythbiz.blogspot.com

Can't be fixed until Bull.Shoals drops below 687.
To keep the exposed gravel bars on the upper lake "wet' for the aquatic bugs, and small fish called sculpins that are an important food source for trout, the CoE is pulsing generators at Table Rock at certain times daily.
They can just run water through continuously because it would increase the flow down the White river to an already flooded lower Mississippi. As the Mississippi goes down, more can be released from Bull Shoals, and repairs to Powersite can be completed.
A wood and concrete structure with big balloons on top that is 86 years old is a bit concerning to me
Old 07-10-2019, 04:45 PM   #6
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

A little more info, and a pic of Rockaway Beach docks "beached"

Closed Thread