1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Living in Branson > Local Branson / Tri-Lakes Area Issues

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 08:25 PM   #1
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Be cautious everywhere!!!

Branson extended stay resident no doubt!
https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/cr...y/63-613682456
Old 11-13-2018, 07:12 AM   #2
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

I would suggest that Students follow rules and obey the C of O curfew, which is probably in effect for their safety.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:13 AM   #3
DalmatianDad
aka - DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotJLB View Post

But, since it has been breached, if students get back too late, they can't get on campus, so they have places they go and sleep in their cars. It's a common practice, and she comes to stay with us. But, other students don't have a place to go.

So the quote below is not true??

Coleman and Sue Head, the college's vice president for cultural affairs and dean of character education, answered follow-up questions Saturday. They said the front gate of the college is locked from 1 a.m. to 5 a.m., but students can call a 24-hour security number to unlock the gate.

"We do have the phone number posted clearly at the front gate," Head said.

Tweet others as you would like to be tweeted.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:45 AM   #4
DalmatianDad
aka - DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suselit View Post
I would suggest that Students follow rules and obey the C of O curfew, which is probably in effect for their safety.
Hmmm, sounds like you are talking that common sense stuff Suse, but I guess following the rules might be of some value.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:20 AM   #5
DalmatianDad
aka - DD

It would be nice to hear from a C of O source regarding what is this "trouble" they get in if they violate curfew.
I also wonder if it might be reasonable to move that curfew hour out to 2AM for weekends
I know when my kids were in school, their nightlife, on many occasions, was just getting going at 1 AM. I did not like it, but I did my best to instill lots of survival smarts and if I ever thought their actions were impacting their education, I'd have used the nuclear option.

Last edited by DalmatianDad; 11-13-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:52 AM   #6
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalmatianDad View Post
It would be nice to hear from a C of O source regarding what is this "trouble" they get in if they violate curfew.
I also wonder if it might be reasonable to move that curfew hour out to 2AM for weekends
I know when my kids were in school, their nightlife, on many occasions, was just getting going at 1 AM. I did not like it, but I did my best to instill lots of survival smarts and if I ever thought their actions were impacting their education, I'd have used the nuclear option.
When I first read about the Gate Closed after Curfew, I thought that Students were late because they might be employed at Branson Shows and were having trouble returning to campus after 10:00pm.

I think everyone is aware that C of O might have stricter rules and higher standards than a public college. I don't understand why obeying those rules and sacrificing your free time to obtain a debt free college degree is too much to expect from students who are attending C of O.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:12 PM   #7
LaJoe
Super Ultra Member

From the outside looking in, it seems to me that C of O does SO many things well. I hope they will check into this situation and make certain that students feel more comfortable calling to get in the gates after hours than they do sleeping in their car to avoid calling.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:36 PM   #8
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

Another reason for closing the gates of the C of O property overnight would be to provide protection for all students and their cars and belongings.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:39 PM   #9
soxster
Super Ultra Member

Is security on property 24 hrs, obviously not just at the gate, cruising/walking the campus at night?
Old 11-13-2018, 03:39 PM   #10
LaJoe
Super Ultra Member

I can truly see both “sides” of the strict rules. Hopefully there will be some dialogue that results from this and a better understanding of positions from both students and college will result and the safety of students will prevail.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:33 PM   #11
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

First reading the article I thought maybe he was not targeting CoO students. That these victims just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. But from these posts it seems he very well may have known that students returning late are locked out, and sleep in their cars in a nearby parking lot.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:57 AM   #12
mikee

Campus safety

I have read a lot of the postings on here in the past few years. If there were to be a vote taken for the most thoughtful, intelligent and informative posts on here, I would hope that J L B would be the winner.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:31 AM   #13
biscuitcreek
Super Ultra Member

Free article from Branson Tri-Lakes News with the actual curfew policy plus reactions from some alums of the school:

http://bransontrilakesnews.com/news_...e1f99fe4a.html
Old 11-15-2018, 11:08 AM   #14
DalmatianDad
aka - DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitcreek View Post
Free article from Branson Tri-Lakes News with the actual curfew policy plus reactions from some alums of the school:

http://bransontrilakesnews.com/news_...e1f99fe4a.html
Thanks for posting that Ms Biscuit.
Sounds like no one has been tossed out of school for curfew violations.
Appears intimidation by guards is an issue, but what that means is unclear. Let's face it, anyone who violates the curfew ought to expect to be reminded of that fact. Anyone exhibiting signs of substance abuse should be dealt with per the law. There ought to be an appropriate protocol for handling these interactions in a professional manner. (this is a challenge for all law enforcement agencies)
I'm telling my kid to dial the number and sleep in the bed you have paid for and is safe. Now if you have something to hide, like you are falling down drunk, maybe you should find a safe parking place rather than driving impaired or being busted for DUI. So many choices.

Old 11-24-2018, 10:07 AM   #15
DalmatianDad
aka - DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddunerider View Post
SO?
No Money?
Meth head?
Make POT legal---problem solved..

Closed Thread