1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Living in Branson > Local Branson / Tri-Lakes Area Issues

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 03:09 PM   #1
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

May 1st Seat Belt Law in Branson

Starting May 1st, if you don't wear your seatbelt when driving in Branson, you run the risk of getting pulled over by police.

Officers say they want to educate drivers on the change, so in the first few weeks after the ordinance goes into effect, police will focus on giving warnings instead of issuing tickets.

During that time, officers will still have the discretion to write seatbelt tickets as a secondary violation.

Springfield and a growing number of other cities in Missouri have a primary seatbelt ordinance in effect.

https://www.ksgf.com/news/local-news...ers-in-branson
Old 04-20-2018, 09:54 PM   #2
zalo9
Your message here, $5.

How is not wearing a seat belt more dangerous than all those who are on their phones and driving at the same time?
Old 04-21-2018, 01:26 PM   #3
DalmatianDad
aka - DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotJLB View Post
Could it be that not wearing a seat belt is dangerous to the person not wearing the seat belt, while distractive driving is dangerous to everyone?
Yup, lots of people believe that crapola about seatbelts. "Hey, it's my body and I can do what I want because I'm the only who gets hurt."
Trouble is--nothing could be further from the truth.
If you are not securely belted in you are in great danger of being tossed around if you stray into the ditch, if you over correct rapidly, if you hit a large pothole or many other scenarios. So there you are, unable to control your vehicle cause you slid 6 inches on the seat and now you can't use the brakes.
But DD, it's my choice, it's my life. Wonderful until your out of control situation has put you in the path of a car full of kids coming home from school.
So how do you think that "it's my life"will play in the deaths of 4 kids?

Tweet others as you would like to be tweeted.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:57 PM   #4
DalmatianDad
aka - DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotJLB View Post

Every site I found talks only about the increased severity of injuries when unrestrained, but I could not find any reference to being unrestrained causing accidents. That's not something I have thought about, nor have I ever seen any reference to it. It would be interesting to see those stats
Example time:
Doofus number one is driving on the narrow road to TRL in the Ozarks. He is texting an order to Papa Johns. He is distracted trying to figure out what toppings he wants which causes him to cross the center line (i know, I know, that never happens here, but work with me.) Doofus number two is coming the other direction and has to hit the ditch going 50 MPH. Normally he could get things under control, but because he doesn't do seat belts he is bouncing around like a ping pong ball with no hope of using the brakes or steering in a controlled manner. So back on the highway he goes into the path of 4 innocent folks who are mowed down by the bouncing driver. All are killed except the bouncing driver with no seat belt. The cops come and Mr No seat belt says--"I was run off the road by some guy and I ended up back on the road when I hit that high spot back there. It's all that guys fault. I hope you can catch him.

Hmmm, that's funny, he did not say a word about not being able to control his car, therefore, that fact probably will not ever show up in any statistics as a contributing cause.

Old 04-21-2018, 05:20 PM   #5
soxster
Super Ultra Member

yeah crazy stuff. Yes, for every one of the examples of not wearing one, 10 are dead or seriously injured for not wearing one just because that guy got lucky that day......the others are in a morgue or in a rehab center and will never have their pre seat belt life back. Hey I worked in a trauma center for 26 years and I have seen the injuries of not wearing a seat belt and it is not pretty or on the family when you have to explain to them their love one is not going to live or is going to be disabled for life. uggg Roll the dice.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:49 PM   #6
DalmatianDad
aka - DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxster View Post
yeah crazy stuff. Yes, for every one of the examples of not wearing one, 10 are dead or seriously injured for not wearing one just because that guy got lucky that day......the others are in a morgue or in a rehab center and will never have their pre seat belt life back. Hey I worked in a trauma center for 26 years and I have seen the injuries of not wearing a seat belt and it is not pretty or on the family when you have to explain to them their love one is not going to live or is going to be disabled for life. uggg Roll the dice.
Yup, DS is a EM doc and says the same thing.
Lots of people have no grasp about the aftermath of people involved in major accidents. Takes 30 seconds to cover the story on the news, but the story goes on and on sometimes forever. Many twists and turns that those on the sidelines never hear about.

Old 04-22-2018, 08:00 AM   #7
soxster
Super Ultra Member

I remember back in high school ( the early 70's) the missouri highway patrol was making their rounds to high schools showing a film on wrecks with those not wearing seat belts. Bodies through wind shields, ejections....smashed and mangled, etc., some very up close. Yikes. And it was gross showing dead people at the scene of accidents and the results of not wearing a seat belt.
It made a huge impression on me and I buckled up ever since. Wonder if they are still doing that. Probably not.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:13 AM   #8
DalmatianDad
aka - DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxster View Post
I remember back in high school ( the early 70's) the missouri highway patrol was making their rounds to high schools showing a film on wrecks with those not wearing seat belts. Bodies through wind shields, ejections....smashed and mangled, etc., some very up close. Yikes. And it was gross showing dead people at the scene of accidents and the results of not wearing a seat belt.
It made a huge impression on me and I buckled up ever since. Wonder if they are still doing that. Probably not.
Still some those presentations happening around the country. Of course, now you have to add distracted driving and driving buzzed/drunk to the menu.

Old 04-22-2018, 08:25 AM   #9
soxster
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalmatianDad View Post
Still some those presentations happening around the country. Of course, now you have to add distracted driving and driving buzzed/drunk to the menu.
Showing the end results, reality gore and all, may get some results. Some is gonna have, can't happen to me mentality, so be it.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:19 PM   #10
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Does Branson's new law exceed state law?
Quote:
Chapter 307
  307.178. Seat belts required for passenger cars — passenger cars defined — exceptions — failure to comply, effect on evidence and damages — penalty — passengers in car exceeding number of seat belts not violation for failure to use. — 1. As used in this section, the term "passenger car" means every motor vehicle designed for carrying ten persons or less and used for the transportation of persons; except that, the term "passenger car" shall not include motorcycles, motorized bicycles, motor tricycles, and trucks with a licensed gross weight of twelve thousand pounds or more.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:16 PM   #11
sanddunerider
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjw1991A1 View Post
Does Branson's new law exceed state law?

SO? my farm pickup from kansas with a 16m farm tag is exempt from their new city law?..
Old 04-23-2018, 08:48 AM   #12
OkieAnon

someone that knows clarify something... read the article it states "while driving in Branson".

I thought everyone had that law to buckle up, does Mo. not have a seatbelt law?

our law is that anyone in the front seat has to be seat belted up, the way this reads .. while driving... are they saying the driver must be in a seatbelt? or are they saying everyone in the car including rear seat passengers have to have one on?
Old 04-23-2018, 12:32 PM   #13
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

sanddunerider, that is Missouri state law. Not sure if there is preemption on seatbelt laws in Missouri preventing municipality from passing stricter laws. Thinking not in reference to my answer to OkieAnon's question.
OkieAnon, this is a municipal law allowing drivers to be stopped only for a seatbelt violation. Missouri law requires (with exceptions) seat belts be worn by front seat occupants. But they can not be stopped for only a seatbelt violation. If a driver is stopped for another reason, and seatbelts aren't being worn a citation can be given.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:09 PM   #14
leftsaidted
Ultra Member

Or, in other words, no one will be safe from another person, or themselves, until we are stripped of all Liberty and Freedoms, and placed into individual padded cells.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:42 PM   #15
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftsaidted View Post
Or, in other words, no one will be safe from another person, or themselves, until we are stripped of all Liberty and Freedoms, and placed into individual padded cells.
Don't you know it's not about liberty. It's not about safety, IT'S ABOUT REVENUE!!!

Closed Thread