Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Events

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 01:43 PM   #1
sanddunerider
Super Ultra Member

Summer Car Cruise to change weekend

http://bransontrilakesnews.com/news_...6f493c081.html

WOW!!,, changed dates.... now it will be after school starts, so that counts out families for the first 2 or 3 days.... makes it a one day family event

No cruise.. So I guess those several hundred people that line SOTH expressway will have to find something else to do.... or they wont even come to town

Not sure the PTB really thought this through?? LOL
Old 03-07-2018, 03:49 PM   #2
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

It seems like they did think it through.

“We talked to the Branson Chamber and did some research, and it was always really hot when we did the car show in August, so this will give us a little bit of a cooler environment, and make it a little easier for folks to spend the day strolling around, looking at the cars,” said Jeff Johnson, one of the owners of the Shepherd of the Hills Homestead Adventure Park. “It’ll be more of an ‘end of summer’ car show, as opposed to the ‘dog days of summer’ show.”

“It takes a tremendous amount of effort from not only the Shepherd employees and staff, but a lot of people pulling together, and it’s hard to find that,” Johnson said. “The police and the folks from the city, as well as myself, all felt it was a better event if it happened in September, when Branson frankly needs that traffic a little bit more at the end of the summer after Labor Day is over, as opposed to that weekend in August before most area schools start back, when Branson is already typically busy.”

Old 03-07-2018, 06:30 PM   #3
leftsaidted
Ultra Member

Hmmm....too hot in Branson for a car show during August? Well, maybe these event organizers need to have a talk with the folks in Reno, and have them change the date of that city's 32 years running of HOT AUGUST NIGHTS car show event....during which the weather is always MUCH hotter than Branson! Geez....
Old 03-07-2018, 07:37 PM   #4
sanddunerider
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suselit View Post
“We talked to the Branson Chamber and did some research, and it was always really hot when we did the car show in August, so this will give us a little bit of a cooler environment, and make it a little easier for folks to spend the day strolling around, looking at the cars,” said Jeff Johnson, one of the owners of the Shepherd of the Hills Homestead Adventure Park. “It’ll be more of an ‘end of summer’ car show, as opposed to the ‘dog days of summer’ show.”

“It takes a tremendous amount of effort from not only the Shepherd employees and staff, but a lot of people pulling together, and it’s hard to find that,” Johnson said. “The police and the folks from the city, as well as myself, all felt it was a better event if it happened in September, when Branson frankly needs that traffic a little bit more at the end of the summer after Labor Day is over, as opposed to that weekend in August before most area schools start back, when Branson is already typically busy.”

I read that, still think the timing is off..
This year is already "planned", I gaurantee you there are hundreds if not thousands of people already scheduled the 2nd weekend in august.... Now they have to decide if they are going to attend or not, and then cancel and make new reservations..

If nothing else they should have left this year alone, and made the changes effective in 2019..
Old 03-13-2018, 11:18 AM   #5
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

No midnight cruise?
Guess they're just trying to make it a failure so they don't have to do it anymore without saying they are quitting.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:59 PM   #6
sanddunerider
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjw1991A1 View Post
No midnight cruise?
Guess they're just trying to make it a failure so they don't have to do it anymore without saying they are quitting.
yep!
Be nice to be able to figure loss of rooms and food bought in Branson because of the change.... It will be a BIG number..,
I cant believe the city so quickly agreed.....
Maybe they should have consulted with motel and restaraunt owners. I am sure they would have different views
Old 03-13-2018, 05:49 PM   #7
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Maybe if each car had a singing driver!
Old 03-14-2018, 08:06 AM   #8
OkieAnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddunerider View Post
yep!
Be nice to be able to figure loss of rooms and food bought in Branson because of the change.... It will be a BIG number..,
I cant believe the city so quickly agreed.....
Maybe they should have consulted with motel and restaraunt owners. I am sure they would have different views

right or wrong? from reading the story I got the impression SOTH has been putting this thing on and bearing all the expenses for it?

if so, and I say if because I don't know... but if so then I don't really blame the new owners for wanting to get out from under a money losing event. stuff like this is why the place almost closed down.

a better option would be for the restaurants and motels to kick in, assuming they aren't at the moment, and help out with the cost.

and I agree... a show without the cruise just wouldn't be the same.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:24 AM   #9
leftsaidted
Ultra Member

Or....maybe SOTH can get a TIF to fund the car show, since it seems it cannot financially support itself....this does appear to be the standard M.O. lately around Branson.....just sayin......
Old 03-15-2018, 05:55 PM   #10
leftsaidted
Ultra Member

So...instead of more "criticism" maybe an idea of how this event could become even better?? Here goes..

In Kissimmee Florida, there is an area called "Old Town", which, is in an of itself, a family styled destination. I first went to it many years ago, and went there fairly often for 3 or 4 years. It is refined itself over the years, and is now quite the place to go. Anyway, besides shopping, eating, arcades, and smaller scale rides for both children and (young) adults, there is a very good CAR SHOW and CRUISE, and it takes place EVERY Saturday night! It has been going on for almost 30 years now. And the cruise starts at 8:30 pm, early enough so that everybody from youngest to oldest spectator, can enjoy it, and not have to wait until midnight, or later!

So, my idea is...start having the same thing EVERY Saturday night, at The LANDING. Car show would be in the parking lot beside Black Oak grill. The area would be roped off, only allow those muscle, antique, and custom show cars to enter. They could start this around noon on Saturday, giving the car owners/family member plenty of time to drive in, park their cars, then partake of the Landings offerings. Car show could officially start around 3 or so...The public could wander around looking at the cars, eating at the landing, playing in its various new arcades, bowling alley, and other such entertainment avenues that are going in this year. Others would enjoy shopping, or walking along the lakefront.

Then the car "cruise" would start maybe 8:30 or 9pm (landing stores close at 9pm I believe), with the cruise to go THROUGH the Landing itself, in between the stores on the brick roadway. Spectators would line both sides of this area, watching all the cars. This is the way "Old Town" does their weekly show.

This event would do several things, bring more customers to the Landings various business's, re-establish the "Branson Car Show", but putting it on a WEEKLY cycle would be beneficial to all those who enjoy showing and driving their cars, as they could choose to come to Branson any, or maybe EVERY Saturday to participate, further bolstering the local economy.

This exact format has worked for almost 3 decades in Kissimmee, Florida. I think maybe Branson should also start this tradition, and in so doing, prevent a very popular and beloved event from not only ending, but actually improving it drastically. Anyway, my 2 cents...I have seen the other tourist town do it...no reason Branson can't either. Oh, BTW, it won't cost anyone anything for this event to happen! How can that not be even better than it has been??

Last edited by leftsaidted; 03-15-2018 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:16 PM   #11
DalmatianDad
aka - DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftsaidted View Post
So...instead of more "criticism" maybe an idea of how this event could become even better?? Here goes..

In Kissimmee Florida, there is an area called "Old Town", which, is in an of itself, a family styled destination. I first went to it many years ago, and went there fairly often for 3 or 4 years. It is refined itself over the years, and is now quite the place to go. Anyway, besides shopping, eating, arcades, and smaller scale rides for both children and (young) adults, there is a very good CAR SHOW and CRUISE, and it takes place EVERY Saturday night! It has been going on for almost 30 years now. And the cruise starts at 8:30 pm, early enough so that everybody from youngest to oldest spectator, can enjoy it, and not have to wait until midnight, or later!

So, my idea is...start having the same thing EVERY Saturday night, at The LANDING. Car show would be in the parking lot beside Black Oak grill. The area would be roped off, only allow those muscle, antique, and custom show cars to enter. They could start this around noon on Saturday, giving the car owners/family member plenty of time to drive in, park their cars, then partake of the Landings offerings. Car show could officially start around 3 or so...The public could wander around looking at the cars, eating at the landing, playing in its various new arcades, bowling alley, and other such entertainment avenues that are going in this year. Others would enjoy shopping, or walking along the lakefront.

Then the car "cruise" would start maybe 8:30 or 9pm (landing stores close at 9pm I believe), with the cruise to go THROUGH the Landing itself, in between the stores on the brick roadway. Spectators would line both sides of this area, watching all the cars. This is the way "Old Town" does their weekly show.

This event would do several things, bring more customers to the Landings various business's, re-establish the "Branson Car Show", but putting it on a WEEKLY cycle would be beneficial to all those who enjoy showing and driving their cars, as they could choose to come to Branson any, or maybe EVERY Saturday to participate, further bolstering the local economy.

This exact format has worked for almost 3 decades in Kissimmee, Florida. I think maybe Branson should also start this tradition, and in so doing, prevent a very popular and beloved event from not only ending, but actually improving it drastically. Anyway, my 2 cents...I have seen the other tourist town do it...no reason Branson can't either. Oh, BTW, it won't cost anyone anything for this event to happen! How can that not be even better than it has been??
A couple of things to add:
I think a weekly event might be a little much, maybe monthly, but the proof would be in the trying. If it were monthly I'd add a concert following the cruise. For added cruise spice, I'd toss in a couple of smilin, wavin, Branson stars throwing candy , so as to appeal to a broad audience (no, I didn't mean that "broad.") The reality is that many people could care less about a couple of neat deuce coupes. Either way you produced it, there would be costs for xtra security and general control folks.
Some good ideas you got Ted.

Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:56 PM   #12
ggh
Super User

I find parking to be at a premium on the weekends now - if part of it is blocked off to provide parking for the Car Show one wonders if it will run off the regular customers, or increase the number of customers who shop the stores at the Landing?

I wonder what might happen if something like this was a part of the upcoming Amusement Park on 76?
Old 03-18-2018, 03:46 PM   #13
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Yes, there is such an abundance of parking in either lot at the landing such a weekly event couldn't possibly be a deterrent to shopping, or dining at the Landing!
However, how about using the service drive between the landing, and the lake for the car show?
Old 03-19-2018, 08:22 AM   #14
leftsaidted
Ultra Member

The Car Show "Attendees" would not be any different than any other Landing customer...their show cars would only take up the exact same parking space as Ma and Pa Kettles clunker...so in reality, no extra space would be "lost", it would just be like any other "busier" day/night at the Landing!

Also, anyone who has attended any of the Independence Day/July 4th Landing celebrations knows that the Landing can accomodate MANY more vehicles/people than one would initially think....every inch of ground in and around the Landing area is occupied by a vehicle...to no detriment, that I have ever witnessed over the years.

So, again, I see nothing "extra" special or difficult about parking for a car show. But yes maybe the service area would also be useful for this type of event....good idea, worth thinking about anyway!
Old 03-19-2018, 02:54 PM   #15
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
The Car Show "Attendees" would not be any different than any other Landing customer...their show cars would only take up the exact same parking space as Ma and Pa Kettles clunker...so in reality, no extra space would be "lost", it would just be like any other "busier" day/night at the Landing!
But the math doesn't work. Take up X spaces for the cars of the attendees, now less parking space for the more people that would be coming to see the cars.
Now there is a lot of unused parking right off the strip in front of a bunch of empty buildings with red roofs where a few kids play baseball sometimes. Probably lots of usable space for show cars, trailers, and viewer parking as well.

Closed Thread