1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Miscellaneous Topics > Just for Chit Chat > Prayer Requests & Birthday, Holiday, and other Well Wishes,

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 10:35 AM   #31
tortminder
Mobile Methane Generator

a quick update

Just a quick update and heartfelt thank you to all my 1Branson buddies who have sent prayer and well wishes.

One week ago Thursday, I went unconscious and had to be rushed to Cox in Branson. My fever was 103+ and I had developed sepsis from a urinary tract infection. It had begun to affect my heart, lungs & kidneys, (a bit later, one of the CCU docs told me I was about 15 minutes from checking out permanently).

I spent 7 days in Cox, (I cannot sing the praises of the staff there high enough... even the grumpy phlebotomist who seemed to get great joy in awakening me at 4:00am to draw even more blood.) I was subjected to every test, procedure and puncture known to human, (and monkey), medical science and the net result is that aside from a prostate that will need attending to and some minor congestive heart issues, I seem to have come through this ordeal in fairly good, if weakened condition.

The storm has added an extra layer of excitement as Short creek has started coming up into the back yard & Vi, Matt & one of the two cats evacuated. I stayed home with the other cat as I judged myself too weak to evacuate.

So far, so good, and with the Grace of God I will continue to mend.

Once again, thanks to all for their prayers, concern and well wishes.

-tort-

"dictum meum pactum"
My word is my bond

Laughter is the best medicine... unless you have diarrhea!

Old 04-30-2017, 10:40 AM   #32
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

So good to hear from you, Tort!
Adding prayers that flooding avoids your home!!!!
Old 04-30-2017, 11:13 AM   #33
KJN
Super Ultra Member

I am SO glad to hear from you Thanking God that things turned out as well as they did. Continued prayers.
Old 04-30-2017, 03:10 PM   #34
MelanieHamilton
Super Ultra Member

I'm so happy to hear you're home, and doing well! Praying about those flood waters!

~ Lewis Carroll... "Alice in Wonderland"
Old 04-30-2017, 04:35 PM   #35
Trobaman
Go Chiefs !!!

I just seen this glad you are better and that your hospital stay wasn't to bad about a year ago I spent about that same amount of time in mercy they where nice but there's no place like home lol
Old 04-30-2017, 05:35 PM   #36
biscuitcreek
Super Ultra Member

Thanks for checking in, Tort. We hope that your recovery is speedy and that your home is spared from the floodwaters.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:51 AM   #37
craftemp
Ultra Member

Happy to hear from you. Stay safe!
Old 05-01-2017, 05:34 PM   #38
ggh
Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortminder View Post
Just a quick update and heartfelt thank you to all my 1Branson buddies who have sent prayer and well wishes.

-tort-
So very good to know you are home - I'm praying that you are unaffected by the flooding and are able to rest and use your energy to regain strength for the days ahead.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:21 AM   #39
tortminder
Mobile Methane Generator

Talking 5/3/2017 update

Six days into being home from the hospital. For someone who has been self-described as "disgustingly healthy" for 71 years, this is a challenge. Slowly regaining strength but still kitten weak. Appetite is not anywhere near normal but I am maintaining about 1200 calories a day, (running all of my body mass on 1200 calories is like trying to run the Titanic on 8 oz of salad oil... doable, but not pretty). Forcing liquids to keep flushing the infection out of my system... I do lead an exciting life.

On a positive note, Randy Plummer and Melody Brown have organized a fund-raiser/silent auction at Branson Center Stage on Sunday, 5-21-2017 at 4:00PM. (Many thanks to Leah Smith and Bill Kitchin for hosting this as a way to give back to our community). Great food, great entertainment and many items from John Wain's performing life including pictures, CD's and his John Wayne hat, hand-tooled gunbelt and .44 Peacemaker. If you will be in Branson at that time, please come over and help raise funds for John's 93 year old blind widow, Joyce.

May God Bless you each and every one.

-tort-

"dictum meum pactum"
My word is my bond

Old 05-03-2017, 12:53 PM   #40
DalmatianDad
aka - DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortminder View Post
Six days into being home from the hospital. For someone who has been self-described as "disgustingly healthy" for 71 years, this is a challenge. Slowly regaining strength but still kitten weak. Appetite is not anywhere near normal but I am maintaining about 1200 calories a day, (running all of my body mass on 1200 calories is like trying to run the Titanic on 8 oz of salad oil... doable, but not pretty). Forcing liquids to keep flushing the infection out of my system... I do lead an exciting life.

On a positive note, Randy Plummer and Melody Brown have organized a fund-raiser/silent auction at Branson Center Stage on Sunday, 5-21-2017 at 4:00PM. (Many thanks to Leah Smith and Bill Kitchin for hosting this as a way to give back to our community). Great food, great entertainment and many items from John Wain's performing life including pictures, CD's and his John Wayne hat, hand-tooled gunbelt and .44 Peacemaker. If you will be in Branson at that time, please come over and help raise funds for John's 93 year old blind widow, Joyce.

May God Bless you each and every one.

-tort-
It didn't appear that your post originated from an arc, so I'll assume you are not floating. Interesting diet you have, are you going to post pictures for us?
Very nice, that despite your own challenges, you can find time to assist others in need.

self·less
ˈselfləs/Submit
adjective
concerned more with the needs and wishes of others than with one's own; unselfish.
"an act of selfless devotion"
synonyms: unselfish, altruistic, self-sacrificing, self-denying

Hang in there Tortster...

Tweet others as you would like to be tweeted.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:47 PM   #41
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Great to hear you are fighting back and improving. Also glad the water didn't get any higher than it did. Thought about coming over, and doing some trout fishing in your back yard!
Old 05-05-2017, 08:46 AM   #42
tortminder
Mobile Methane Generator

Talking Sounds fishy to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjw1991A1 View Post
Great to hear you are fighting back and improving. Also glad the water didn't get any higher than it did. Thought about coming over, and doing some trout fishing in your back yard!
What was really interesting was the family of geese, (goose, gander and 5 goslings) swimming up to the edge of the water by the back patio and eating from what once was my hay bale garden. Also, it was interesting to watch 2 blue heron fishing about 25 feet from the house.

Day 8 out of the hospital. Up early for an appointment with the urologist, (more assaults on this old man's dignity. Why is it that urologists have fingers the size of large bananas?). It was interesting to get out of the house to see that the world is still out there.

"dictum meum pactum"
My word is my bond

Old 05-07-2017, 08:54 PM   #43
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

Tort, how are you doing?
Old 05-08-2017, 07:54 AM   #44
tortminder
Mobile Methane Generator

5/8/17 update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suselit View Post
Tort, how are you doing?
Thanks for asking. The recovery continues and I would say I am at about 70% of what passes for normal for me. Still tire easily but getting stronger and a little bit more stable on my feet, (still using the walker though).

I have an appointment with my internist this afternoon and I am going to see if I feel up to driving, (if you are near Cox Health around 3:00PM watch out for a red van... it could be me).

Infection seems to be under control since there has been no fever or rise in temperature for the past 5 days... I'm still finishing the course of antibiotics which ends Wednesday, so we'll see after that.

Once again, thanks for all of the prayers, messages and good wishes from my 1Branson buddies. Sorry that Violet & I missed the "Out-to-lunch-bunch" last Saturday... but I really wasn't up to it. Hopefully we'll make the June one.

-tort-

"dictum meum pactum"
My word is my bond

Old 05-09-2017, 06:35 AM   #45
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

Glad that you are being wise and taking your recovery slow and steady.
Healing completely is important. I have friends who rush that process and then relapse.

Closed Thread