1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Living in Branson > Welcome Wagon

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #1
Charley1980

Living VS. Visiting

Hi all! For some time now I have wanted to move to Branson. I have been there for vacation several times and love it! However, obviously vacationing somewhere is different than living there. What is it like being a local? Would a 30 something year old fit in there, or is it mostly seniors and families? Any input is greatly appreciated!
Old 10-08-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
Carol3
Ultra Member

For us, a couple in their forties, it is like being on vacation all of the time. Oh, except for the work that happens during the week. Seriously, we love living in the area. Prior to moving, we did decide that while Branson appeals to us, the lake was where we wanted to be. So, we live 35 minutes from Branson on the lake. We can put our boat on the water a block from our house and still have all that Branson offers when we feel like driving in for food, show, shopping, or entertainment. We have also found many hidden gems in the areas outside of Branson that a visitor might not find.

Before making the move, if you need to work, explore the job market. Also decide what appeals to you about the area and do your home work in terms of the area you want to live in. We came down five or six times a year for two years driving around different communities before deciding on which area best fit our needs and likes.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:15 AM   #3
thesaint
Branson-lover

It is a great place to live...yes, there are LOTS of seniors/retired folks. Nothing wrong with that, you just asked. Prices are good on real estate, property taxes are low, gas/food prices a bit higher than non-tourist areas. Employment is largely seasonal, depending on what you want to do. Tourism industry is largest employer, obviously, and if you get into that, there are some slow months where the town is pretty "dead" with shows/attractions closed down for the winter. Do your homework on where you want to live and work before you come to see what is actually available. Branson is very good to their "locals" with discounts on most every show in town. Life is slower pace here than the "big city", folks are friendly and easy-going, for the most part. Yep, it's a good life here if you don't mind kickin' back and takin' your time getting places (traffic, y'know!) Come on down and join us!
Old 10-12-2013, 09:39 AM   #4
Charley1980

Thanks for the input folks!
Old 10-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #5
MNtraveler
Super Ultra Member

Where would you be moving from?

Good Times in Branson
Old 10-25-2013, 07:31 AM   #6
Charley1980

MNtraveler, I am from northwest Missouri...

Thank you all for the replies, I appreciate it!
Old 10-25-2013, 03:48 PM   #7
MNtraveler
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley1980 View Post
MNtraveler, I am from northwest Missouri...
Good. You won't suffer the "culture shock" that I did moving here from Minnesota.

Good Times in Branson
Old 10-30-2013, 08:17 AM   #8
leftsaidted
Ultra Member

A "30 something". With family, including children? Or single? All that must be factored in. The local Branson school is really good, plenty of money through it's tax base of Branson to buy anything the school needs. Outlying city's/communities schools, however, are a different story altogether. Poverty surrounds Branson, deep, dark, poverty. And the public schools suffer. Branson proper itself, however, seems to be doing good right now. As with any tourist town, however, you must remember that the economy of the entire US can, and does, effect the affluence of Branson. Economy (or at least the perceived economy) goes up, Branson does well, as people feel they have the disposable income to take vacations and spend that money. Economy goes down (or people wake up to how poor it is really doing) and Branson suffers very quickly, as people simply stay at home, hang on to their dwindling paycheck and only buy what they consider to be necessities.
All this is true no matter which tourist town you choose, Las Vegas, Orlando/Kissimmee, Atlantic City, etc to a lesser or greater extent, depending on the severity of the economy. The larger tourist cities that I listed seem to be able to weather things out a little longer than small places such as Branson due to the large amounts of FOREIGN tourists that visit them, providing of course that their home country is not in the middle of austerity or some other disaster. Branson does not have the "luxury" of those wealthier international travelers and their money, so things seems to hit a little closer to home, since the breadth of vacationer is much narrower. But in spite of all that, Branson is a wonderful place to live. If you do have to work, you may need to take up 2 jobs, or even 3 part time jobs, depending of course upon your profession. Many people, however feel even with these challenges, Branson is worth it. I would agree with them!
Old 10-30-2013, 01:36 PM   #9
LaJoe
Super Ultra Member

What percentage of Bransonians would you say have 4WD?
Old 10-31-2013, 05:52 PM   #10
MNtraveler
Super Ultra Member

If you find it difficult to make a good living in Branson there is always the option of living in Ozark or Nixa, both communities with low crime and outstanding schools. Both are about 15 minutes away from Springfield and 30 minutes away from Branson. There are far more year-round full-time jobs in Springfield.

I also enjoy being close to everything available in Springfield... current big stars playing at JQH arena, Springfield Cardinals baseball, etc; while still being close enough to Branson to enjoy everything it offers.

Good Times in Branson
Old 11-04-2013, 07:54 AM   #11
MNtraveler
Super Ultra Member

As an aside... Nixa was just named the "best community in the Ozarks for families to live." Ozark was in second place.

http://www.ozarksfirst.com/story/thr...AUWZ6fwssoDsXg

Good Times in Branson
Old 11-14-2013, 01:23 PM   #12
Charley1980

Thanks again folks for all the posts. You have all given me some things to think about. I'm just ready for a change and every time I've visited Branson I've just loved everything about it...of course that was on vacation, not living there. I like that whole region though, so maybe near Branson could be a possibility too, like someone suggested.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #13
MNtraveler
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseyWales2 View Post
I do think if you like to fish and have access to shows every so often, gorgeous country, nice people and DONT NEED TO WORK, its a great place to retire. Especially if you can leave for the colder months and go south. How perfect would that be.
I got fooled. I thought this WAS south!!

I was spoiled by the last two mild winters. I hope they are more the norm for the area than this one is!!

Good Times in Branson
Old 02-21-2014, 12:37 PM   #14
Charley1980

Still doing my research...

From these forums it seems as though there are an equal number of people who think the Branson area is great and people who seem to have an axe to grind with the town and its people....since most seem to make valid points it's a hard decision to make as to whether or not to move. I currently live in St. Joseph, MO and there are no jobs here, nothing to do, and the people are rude. It seems that those things are some of the same reasons people don't have a lot of nice things to say about living in Branson...

Any information to act as a tie breaker? lol

Also, does anyone know anything about the Turtle Creek Apartments? They look nice on their website, but you can't really go by that.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:01 PM   #15
DalmatianDad
aka - DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley1980 View Post
From these forums it seems as though there are an equal number of people who think the Branson area is great and people who seem to have an axe to grind with the town and its people....since most seem to make valid points it's a hard decision to make as to whether or not to move. I currently live in St. Joseph, MO and there are no jobs here, nothing to do, and the people are rude. It seems that those things are some of the same reasons people don't have a lot of nice things to say about living in Branson...

Any information to act as a tie breaker? lol

Also, does anyone know anything about the Turtle Creek Apartments? They look nice on their website, but you can't really go by that.
Well Charley, I suppose the biggest downer for most folks would be the shortage of good jobs.
OTOH, plenty to do, I imagine the weather here is better than there, and in my day to day travels I rarely encounter any rude people. For those that put the effort into it, there are some fantastic real estate deals to be had. If apartments are your thing, put plenty of effort into that as well.
Yes there are a fair number of bashers and doomsdayers here, and I won't say they don't have their points, but in some cases it is way over the top IMHO. Most of the folks I know who are transplants are tickled to be here for the most part and will be happy to tell you that.
I really don't think Branson is dying, but it is currently being kicked around by a bad economy and a lack of creativity. There is a lot of "we've always done it that way" thinking. Even on this forum new ideas are quickly pounced on.
None the less, Branson will survive, so come on down Charley.

Tweet others as you would like to be tweeted.

Closed Thread