1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Miscellaneous Topics > Just for Chit Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 10:16 AM   #1
can'tcatchup
Super Ultra Member

Let's Talk "Otter Box"

The "Let's Talk Phones" thread with several mentions of Otter Box raised questions in my mind. I am upgrading to the iPhone 5 & until yesterday, I didn't know what Otter box even was! Now, I guess I understand it to be one of the best cases that offers great protection for your phone investment.

Got my phone from the AT&T store that is only up the road a mile from my place & they put it in a $50 "Defender" series red Otter box with the understanding that I could bring the box back for refund within 2 weeks if I changed my mind about it.

I wasn't going to buy it at AT&T at first since my "niece" told me she had one on order with Amazon for around $20 something. It too, was the Defender, but it hadn't arrived yet. I've been to the Otterbox website & see they are selling the iPhone 5 Defenders for $50, same as AT&T. I don't know if there are deals to be had direct with them, but it appears not, at least for the 5. But I've searched on Amazon & find there some iPhone 5 Defender boxes "in retail packaging" for $14 & up, maybe not an ideal color choice & I'd have to pay a little extra for shipping, but over $30 savings does make me pause & wonder if I should return the one to AT&T & order one from Amazon. Thoughts? Or is there something I should take into consideration that I obviously have not done? Such as the "stretching problem/replacement" thing. Seems like my niece was told that Otter box replaces even ones bought on Amazon if they stretch.

I'm wondering if I could figure out how to install the phone into it. Is that fairly simple? Also, I don't need the holster; guess you can't get the Defender without one, huh?

I also thought about getting the new iPhone 5 car charger, even though I rarely charge my phone in the car & the one I bought for the iPhone 3GS has not been used much. AT&T sells them for $30, but was going to give me one for $10 (bundling the charger & Otter box - $80 total, less 25%). But they just sold their last 5 car charger. I could go back later & get one, but am thinking since my new car has a USB port, I really don't need the car charger since I can just take the home charger along on trips when I think I might charge in the car. I'd need to take the home charger along anyway on vacations to charge in the hotel room.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #2
labpup89
IL Roots Planted in IA

My dh and I both got iPhone 5's in November. He got an Otter Box on Amazon.com for around $20/$25. I can't remember if he got the Defender series or the Commuter series. I got a Trident brand case on Amazon for $25 (because I didn't want the colors offered by Otter Box). We have both been happy with our cases. Every Otter Box we found at Wal-Mart or Best Buy was $50.

It is very easy to get the iPhone into the Otter Box. Don't worry about that.

We did not purchase a car charger. We just use a USB charger that you plug into the "electrical" outlet of your vehicle. You can get these at Walgreens for $5 by the checkout. Then I just take my iPhone charging cord in the car with me and charge it that way. We also use the USB charger for the kids' iTouches, so we are always charging some Apple device in our vehicle!
Old 12-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
teacherkim
Super Ultra Member

Yes, you can get the case cheaper on Amazon. I bought mine on Amazon and Otterbox replaced it when it stretched, no problem. We're bored with our colors so I bought us new ones for Christmas. From Amazon again (we have Amazon Student, so free two day shipping on any purchase making Amazon a great deal).

I put on all our Otterboxes. Once you figure it out, it's really easy but it did take me a bit to figure it out. They do all come with holsters whether you want it or not. I rarely use mine but sometimes when we're walking/hiking I like to use my app that tracks distance and wear the phone in the holster.

You can buy the USB cords and just keep one in your vehicle. I bought the Amazon Basic brand and just keep it in the car, plugged into the USB port. I bought some off brand cords in the past but found I'm much happier with the Amazon Basic brand.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
ggh
Super User

Every phone in our family is in an Otter Box, all bought on Amazon, several replaced due to stretching, no questions asked - son took a picture of his, and had a new one w/in 48 hours.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:35 AM   #5
God's Girl

You can also find them on ebay for significantly cheaper. I have bought several on there for different phones in the last couple of years, and I also just bought one for a Christmas gift this year.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:52 AM   #6
can'tcatchup
Super Ultra Member

Thanks everyone; I've learned a lot from everyone's input on this topic!

Much as I realize I've probably overpaid about $20 (when you consider shipping costs) for the Otter box from the AT&T store, I'm thinking I'll just keep it as I hate taking the phone out of the box & then trying to get another one on ... plus, I like the color & haven't seen that color on any of the ones for sale at the other sources.

I've also decided that for the few times I'd be charging my phone in the car, I'll just take my home charging cord along & charge it using the USB port in my car.

Closed Thread