1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Miscellaneous Topics > Recipes, Cooking, & More

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #16
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

Mom always called them Butter Balls, Wife's family just called them the Balls. Some call them Snow Balls. I think they are actually Italian Wedding Cookies, but we always make them with lts of chopped pecans instead of almonds.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #17
biscuitcreek
Super Ultra Member

No traditions or special treats when I was kid. However, after I got married, I discovered that my MIL made wonderful pralines, penuche, and divinity. Every Christmas she made so many batches she lost count and she gave it away to friends, neighbors, church members, club members, relatives, etc.

I sure miss her and her candy (and the best strawberry cake made from scratch I've ever had).
Old 12-19-2012, 09:21 PM   #18
shis1
Str8fn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjw1991A1 View Post
Mom always called them Butter Balls, Wife's family just called them the Balls. Some call them Snow Balls. I think they are actually Italian Wedding Cookies, but we always make them with lts of chopped pecans instead of almonds.

I've made these ---- they are yummy!
Old 12-19-2012, 11:02 PM   #19
can'tcatchup
Super Ultra Member

I've made them too & called them "Russian Tea cakes".
Old 12-20-2012, 12:06 AM   #20
shis1
Str8fn

Quote:
Originally Posted by can'tcatchup View Post
I've made them too & called them "Russian Tea cakes".
I've heard that name used too.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:15 AM   #21
engel
Super Ultra Member

Smile

Growing up, my grandfather was head of the bank. Every Christmas, the bank received a huge box of Whitmans & a huge box of Russell Stover. One box went home with him & one box was split among the other employees. (large boxes, small bank) He would take Whitman's one year & Stover the next. I would love either now!

Last edited by engel; 12-20-2012 at 04:17 AM. Reason: spelling--my 'puter can't type.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:23 AM   #22
LynndaofNJ
Proud American Mom

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotJLB View Post
Choice of prizes, including the top shelf!

My grandparents owned a bakery for many years, so perhaps I had an unfair advantage!
Old 12-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #23
SHOW GAL
SHOW GAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by engel View Post
Growing up, my grandfather was head of the bank. Every Christmas, the bank received a huge box of Whitmans & a huge box of Russell Stover. One box went home with him & one box was split among the other employees. (large boxes, small bank) He would take Whitman's one year & Stover the next. I would love either now!
When I was in high school (back in the dark ages), I dated a boy whose mother was a manager for Russell Stover. I don't think he ever came over to the house without bringing some chocolates. I got used to their taste and even today, there is not another chocolate, in my opinion, that begins to compare with Russell Stover.

Branson Show Reviews by SHOW GAL

http://BransonShowGal.wordpress.com/
Old 12-20-2012, 12:29 PM   #24
OkieAnon

sadly we have none of these family traditions of holiday cookies and such that i'm reading here.

however someone did get the urge to whip up a batch of pecan fudge last night that was pretty.

and I think I could live off of pecan pie, and I can usually count on there being at least one around for the holiday's, and if aunt so and so who can't cook stops at Sam's I may end up with some leftover to take home after Christmas.

another thing I like at the Holiday's, cranberries.... don't seem like to many other people care for them. not the cranberry sauce, but the real thng
Old 12-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #25
Crazy4Branson
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by engel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOW GAL View Post
When I was in high school (back in the dark ages), I dated a boy whose mother was a manager for Russell Stover. I don't think he ever came over to the house without bringing some chocolates. I got used to their taste and even today, there is not another chocolate, in my opinion, that begins to compare with Russell Stover.
WOW! You people were really rich weren't ya? Just like the "fancy people" I saw in the magazine ads!!!!!
Old 12-20-2012, 02:59 PM   #26
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

I remember stopping at a Russel Stover Outlet on the way to Kansas City...I wonder if its still there?
The one in Ozark is OK, but the prices at the one near KC were very very reasonable.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:14 PM   #27
ggh
Super User

My daughter managed a candy store - Yummy toffee, caramel, caramel pecan treats, divinity.... she learned to make most of it from scratch. Yum!
Old 12-20-2012, 08:36 PM   #28
Critter
Super Ultra Member

Since David and I married 20 years ago, I make his grandma's punch. She use to make 2 different kinds of punches, but we just wanted one of the recipes. It don't smell all that great, cause of the banana's (I believe), but it taste really good!!!! I am going to double the recipe this year!
Old 12-22-2012, 11:18 AM   #29
Suselit
Super Ultra Member

I'm changing things a bit this year...instead of having the same old Gum Drop Tree...that perhaps a few adults will sample...and then its basically a waste...I am using that clear plastic tree to make a Marshmallow Tree.

I plan on just sticking on a variety of different colored and sized marshmallows on the little points on the tree limbs.
I do know that all the Grandchildren love marshmallows and since they will be dipping things in melted chocolate any way....the marshmallows can also be dipped.
I will set it by the little fondue pot.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #30
teacherkim
Super Ultra Member

We have to make M&M Dream Bars using Christmas M&Ms. I very recently have started feeling the need to make Hello Dollies/7 Layer Bars.

I made Chex Mix last night because this is now my contribution to holidays at my in-laws... apparently my BILs really like my Chex Mix. I also always make peanut clusters. I was going to make a second batch today, but decided that I'd just wait until after we get back from travelling to make them so we can really enjoy them.

I discovered a couple of new cookie recipes that are definitely going to be added to my holiday list. I love all the baking and cooking at Christmas!

Closed Thread