1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Living in Branson > Local Branson / Tri-Lakes Area Issues

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 05:49 PM   #1
Islander

How Much Should You Tip On The Branson Belle?

I was wondering what the proper tip would be on the Belle, not knowing what the cost of the meal would be. I wouldn't think it should be 20% of the ticket cost. Anyone know?
Old 11-28-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
Bransonguy1988
Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander View Post
I was wondering what the proper tip would be on the Belle, not knowing what the cost of the meal would be. I wouldn't think it should be 20% of the ticket cost. Anyone know?
I would think for good service for a party of 4 $40 would be an appropriate tip......seeing as how each ticket is at least 50$....that would be 20%. I would have to get HORRIBLE service to only leave $10 for 4 people.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:33 PM   #3
Branson Bluesman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bransonguy1988 View Post
I would think for good service for a party of 4 $40 would be an appropriate tip......seeing as how each ticket is at least 50$....that would be 20%. I would have to get HORRIBLE service to only leave $10 for 4 people.
I agree. When you're in that situation you should come prepared to leave an adequate tip. It's hard to imagine the service was that horrible.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
shis1
Str8fn

But remember that that $50 ticket is for dinner + a show. I would think the show cost would be the major part of that ticket. I would think that dividing the $50 into $25 for the show and $25 for the meal would be more than ample for the meal, and a 20% tip for good service would be sufficient, or a $10 tip per couple (again, for good service......we did not tip our server 20% when we were on the Belle, and that is 'out of the ordinary for us')
Old 11-28-2012, 08:10 PM   #5
shis1
Str8fn

Quote:
In this instance, I think 'rudeness of the server' was maybe worse than the service, and no way would we tip 'good' if the server was rude!
Old 11-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #6
Bransonguy1988
Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shis1 View Post
But remember that that $50 ticket is for dinner + a show. I would think the show cost would be the major part of that ticket. I would think that dividing the $50 into $25 for the show and $25 for the meal would be more than ample for the meal, and a 20% tip for good service would be sufficient, or a $10 tip per couple (again, for good service......we did not tip our server 20% when we were on the Belle, and that is 'out of the ordinary for us')
I can understand that. I would still tip the server $40 at least, but I have worked in the service industry for a long time. I want some good karma coming back to me I am sure that is maybe a slightly above average tip for them. I would never do what this server had done, by asking for more $$$. I wonder if this actually happened, or wether she was just misunderstood. I don't know any server that would ever actually go back to the table and nudge a guest and ask for a better tip, that is a good way to lose your job.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:48 PM   #7
MNtraveler
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
I can understand that. I would still tip the server $40 at least, but I have worked in the service industry for a long time. I want some good karma coming back to me I am sure that is maybe a slightly above average tip for them. I would never do what this server had done, by asking for more $$$. I wonder if this actually happened, or wether she was just misunderstood. I don't know any server that would ever actually go back to the table and nudge a guest and ask for a better tip, that is a good way to lose your job.
Yea, anything less than a $20 tip is just plain CHEAP!! Even with horrible service. A tip for good service would have been closer to $40. If you can't afford to take care of the people that take care of you,don't bother.

Good Times in Branson
Old 11-28-2012, 10:07 PM   #8
acappellicious

And, with this thread, the problem with a number of those in the service industry has been shoved to the forefront. Yes, I have done my time in the service industry, but I still believe that tips are earned, not given. I know that, as a server, I have to take care of you in order for you to take care of me, but a lot of servers just give the bare minimum (or even less) and still expect an extra 20% in their hands when it's all said and done. No! Tips are a bonus for really going above and beyond and I am not going to tip someone like Brenda who merely drops a predetermined meal in front of me and takes the plates when I'm finished almost the equivalent of my hourly wage. Heck, if I did all the servers on the Belle did, I would be thrilled to pieces to receive any tip at all!

And Bransonguy1988, if you want to call me a liar, that's your karma, not mine, but I can assure you that I have better, more adult things to do than troll message boards.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:24 PM   #9
MNtraveler
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acappellicious View Post
And, with this thread, the problem with a number of those in the service industry has been shoved to the forefront. Yes, I have done my time in the service industry, but I still believe that tips are earned, not given. I know that, as a server, I have to take care of you in order for you to take care of me, but a lot of servers just give the bare minimum (or even less) and still expect an extra 20% in their hands when it's all said and done. No! Tips are a bonus for really going above and beyond and I am not going to tip someone like Brenda who merely drops a predetermined meal in front of me and takes the plates when I'm finished almost the equivalent of my hourly wage. Heck, if I did all the servers on the Belle did, I would be thrilled to pieces to receive any tip at all!

And Bransonguy1988, if you want to call me a liar, that's your karma, not mine, but I can assure you that I have better, more adult things to do than troll message boards.
As you probably know from your experience, servers make about 50% of the minimum wage. They DO depend on tips for their survival. If you don't like the system maybe restaurants should change their pay structure. In a setting like the Branson Belle the meal is probably worth $25. Even a marginal tip for a $100 meal would have been $15. I usually tip 20-25% or more, but I do expect good service for that. But if you just get what you ordered set in front of you that should be worth 15%.

I don't mean to single you out... Branson tourists are NOTORIOUSLY CHEAP. That just seems to be the way it is. I suppose if servers wanted to make decent money they would head to Springfield.

Good Times in Branson
Old 11-28-2012, 11:26 PM   #10
Bransonguy1988
Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acappellicious View Post

First off no need to go and get your feelings hurt. I did not call you a liar at all, just said there could have been a misunderstand. I have served for years, and NEVER heard of a server behaving in the way you said this server behaved. I hope you also realize that this servers job is on the line, and I hope you honestly believe she was a bad enough server that she should be fired...because something like this could easily get her fired. The management will likely catch wind of this post and talk to her about it...if not fire her. As another poster said, servers make something like $3 an hour, so they do depend on tips. Did you also know they have to tip out other people that work under them, so that 10$ you left her may have covered the tipout she had to pay to other people. If service had been THAT bad, I dont believe you would have had a good time at all....funny how service can be so HORRIBLE, yet you still enjoyed the meal and show.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:03 AM   #11
MNtraveler
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
First off no need to go and get your feelings hurt. I did not call you a liar at all, just said there could have been a misunderstand. I have served for years, and NEVER heard of a server behaving in the way you said this server behaved. I hope you also realize that this servers job is on the line, and I hope you honestly believe she was a bad enough server that she should be fired...because something like this could easily get her fired. The management will likely catch wind of this post and talk to her about it...if not fire her. As another poster said, servers make something like $3 an hour, so they do depend on tips. Did you also know they have to tip out other people that work under them, so that 10$ you left her may have covered the tipout she had to pay to other people. If service had been THAT bad, I dont believe you would have had a good time at all....funny how service can be so HORRIBLE, yet you still enjoyed the meal and show.
You make a VERY GOOD point. I think few outside the industry have any idea about the "tip out". When my wife was between full-time jobs she worked part-time as a hostess at a local chain restaurant. Even though she was paid above minimum wage, the servers still had to pay a small "tip out" to her. Sure, a good server on a busy shift still made significantly more than my wife did. But people should be aware that not everything they leave for the server goes to the server.

Good Times in Branson
Old 11-29-2012, 07:18 AM   #12
k-2
Ultra Member

Several years ago we did the Belle. We were seated at the end of a row on the floor section. Everyone around us was served their meal--both beside us and behind and in front of us--but no meal for us Not really sure what happened there. They had worked their way with meals from the opposite end of us and we just figured they would be right back with our meal. Server finally came back by our way and noticed that we had no meal. She told us that she hoped there were meals left--no I'm sorry--nothing. We did get a meal, but felt rushed when they began picking up plates etc. You can bet there was no tip left. Odd thing to happen I know, but it is the truth.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:25 AM   #13
MNtraveler
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-2 View Post
Several years ago we did the Belle. We were seated at the end of a row on the floor section. Everyone around us was served their meal--both beside us and behind and in front of us--but no meal for us Not really sure what happened there. They had worked their way with meals from the opposite end of us and we just figured they would be right back with our meal. Server finally came back by our way and noticed that we had no meal. She told us that she hoped there were meals left--no I'm sorry--nothing. We did get a meal, but felt rushed when they began picking up plates etc. You can bet there was no tip left. Odd thing to happen I know, but it is the truth.
You have the virtue of excess patience! Although I also tend to stay quiet, my wife would have been all over the manager of the dining room like white on rice when the meal didn't show! I hope the Belle gave you at least a partial refund or a credit for your next visit.

Good Times in Branson
Old 11-29-2012, 08:51 AM   #14
can'tcatchup
Super Ultra Member

I'm of the opinion that poor service should not automatically be rewarded. A waitress subtley, or not so subtley, asking for a tip is tacky & constitutes poor service in my opinion. You probably should have reported her. Her actions, as you described them, would have been a complete turnoff to me. Since the cost of the ticket, around $50, included probably less than $25 for the dinner,a $10 per person tip (40%) seems inappropriate & undeserved to me. That's how I feel; others are welcome to their opinion.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #15
MNtraveler
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by can'tcatchup View Post
I'm of the opinion that poor service should not automatically be rewarded. A waitress subtley, or not so subtley, asking for a tip is tacky & constitutes poor service in my opinion. You probably should have reported her. Her actions, as you described them, would have been a complete turnoff to me. Since the cost of the ticket, around $50, included probably less than $25 for the dinner,a $10 per person tip (40%) seems inappropriate & undeserved to me. That's how I feel; others are welcome to their opinion.
While I agree that it would have to be REALLY OUTSTANDING service for a $40 tip, I think a $10 tip was too low. JMHO. Blatantly asking for a tip is poor form, but I have seen enough Branson tourists stick a $1 tip under the edge of the plate following a $20 meal that I can understand the frustration servers feel at times.

P.S. I realize it isn't just Branson... it is all the older visitors that go to Branson. I know for years my grandfather just stuck a couple of quarters under the edge of his plate no matter WHAT the meal cost! As I got older I would always go back to the table to supplement the tip. I don't think he meant to be cheap... he just didn't know any better.

Good Times in Branson

Closed Thread