1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Miscellaneous Topics > Just for Chit Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 04:49 PM   #1
Critter
Super Ultra Member

Snake bites

My dh's best friend that helps me out with Holly....their boy got bit by a pigmy (sp) rattler Sat. night. I just found out about it. Holly goes over there in the mornings and she was telling me his foot is huge. They took him to the ER and they didn't give him medicine. They hooked him up to an IV for a few hours and watched him. The doctor thought it was a dry bite meaning no venum. I didn't know snakes would do such. He is a year older than Holly and he said when it happened he thought it was a wasp that got him. They took him to his doctor this morning and he said if it looks this good you have nothing to worry about. The doctor wrote out a prescription if they thought he needed it.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:08 PM   #2
shis1
Str8fn

That's scarry, Critter! You said you are making a Honey Do list for your DH when he is home ----- better put 'de-snaking' your property at the top of the list! ANd, how do they know it was a pgymy rattler? Did they see it??? Just curious!
Old 07-28-2008, 05:16 PM   #3
Critter
Super Ultra Member

They saw it. They said he would have seen it if it wasn't so dark out. It was on the pavement. They have a swimming pool and he jumped out to get something in the house and the snake got him. They live out in the woods at the end of a dirt road. If it is dark out and I am going over there I have to really watch for the deer. They have a lot of them there.

I need to start making the honey do list.....I just messed something else up the other day...lol
Old 07-29-2008, 11:04 AM   #4
kbradleyar
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
I need to start making the honey do list.....I just messed something else up the other day...lol
I can see it now, David gets home.
You give him the Honey-Do List.
He sees de-Snakeing the yard.
He catches the next flight back to Iraq where it is LESS DANGEROUS!
Old 07-29-2008, 11:22 AM   #5
kbradleyar
Super Ultra Member

Rattlesnakes are nothing to mess with. The boy was lucky. The venom hurts children worse than humans. Less than .2% of people die from rattlesnakes but if you are small, it seems to get you worse.

I watched a person die from rattlesnake bites when I was 19. Me and some freinds were swimming at a spring feed swimming hole. It was against a vertical ridge and looked like a sinkhole cut into the side of a hill. People climbed up the rock face and jumped off and other people swung out on tire swings. A group of drunk (or fast on their way) teenagers came up and was taking over the swimming hole so we decided to get out, have lunch and possibly leave.

While we were setting on the back of a truck eating lunch we heard someone yell "Don't jump, Don't Jump". A guy was on the rope swing, that we had been using the entire day, going to swing out. He swung out and jumped in and started screaming. He swam to shore, climbed out with some friends help and died within minutes.

The guy that yelled "don't jump" saw a bunch of snakes in the water. He said the water was "alive" with snakes. The guy jumped into the middle of them and they bit him over 100 times the paper said. The game/fish came out and found a rattlesnake den in the rocks. I never believed it was rattlesnakes because their venom works different than a cottonmouth/water moccasin which is what I think they were. This person died in minutes and it looked like a neurotoxin (nerve poison). He started having problems breathing and was unable to move then stopped breathing and CPR didn't help. Usually with a rattlesnake you have 1 or 2 hours before things get bad.

This person was bit over 100 times so I guess anything can be instantly fatal in large doses.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:21 PM   #6
Blaze2
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
PLEASE DO NOT make your Husband a 'honey-do list
to hand him when he gets home. This man has been
in Iraq & no telling some of the horrors he may have seen.

Wait a few days, he may ask you. If he doesn't, just lay it
on the cabinet one morning before you go to work.
IF I were you, a list wouldn't be a big deal right now.

Golfer was gone for one month, the longest month of my life.
When he came home, a list didn't figure into me wanting him
safely home. Those things can wait or not be done at all.
This is my $.02, for what it's worth, which is probably not much!
Old 07-29-2008, 09:06 PM   #7
Critter
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze2 View Post
PLEASE DO NOT make your Husband a 'honey-do list
to hand him when he gets home. This man has been
in Iraq & no telling some of the horrors he may have seen.

Wait a few days, he may ask you. If he doesn't, just lay it
on the cabinet one morning before you go to work.
IF I were you, a list wouldn't be a big deal right now.

Golfer was gone for one month, the longest month of my life.
When he came home, a list didn't figure into me wanting him
safely home. Those things can wait or not be done at all.
This is my $.02, for what it's worth, which is probably not much!
That sounds like a good idea how to do it! It seems like my list keeps getting longer these days.....Yeah, I felt sorry for him the morning he was leaving us. We had to run to Lowe's at 7 in the morning to get a new kitchen faucet and he installed it. We were going to eat out for breakfast one more time...I agree he does need to enjoy himself and rest those two weeks.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:16 AM   #8
Blaze2
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
That sounds like a good idea how to do it! It seems like my list keeps getting longer these days.....Yeah, I felt sorry for him the morning he was leaving us. We had to run to Lowe's at 7 in the morning to get a new kitchen faucet and he installed it. We were going to eat out for breakfast one more time...I agree he does need to enjoy himself and rest those two weeks.
This post makes me feel VERY happy!
ENJOY the time he's home!

Closed Thread