1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Living in Branson > Local Branson / Tri-Lakes Area Issues

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 02:30 PM   #1
JackPurvis
Ultra Member

Public Forum

If there was a public forum somewhere, how could the public be encouraged to attend, and what subjects could be discussed? I am thinking topics like;

How does the school set tax levy?
What are the options for the Taneycomo bridge?
Do we need to rethink our Christmas light program?
What should be the public expectation of the commmunity pride concept?

If we are to make good decisions about issues, there should be POSITIVE communication from the residents of Branson. I would hope that criticism would come with solutions as well. Anybody can be a critic what our community needs are answers and solutions.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:19 PM   #2
TheOleSeagull
Administrator

Hi Jack,

Sounds like a great idea. Why not have the Board of Aldermen and the Mayor sponsor a couple of public forums to do just the type of thing you mentioned? During the off season a theatre should be available for such a purpose. It might also tie in the with the public survey program that is going to take place.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:41 AM   #3
CHRISTISAM2001
El Grando Branson Lover

HI Jack and Welcome!!
Old 12-19-2007, 11:58 PM   #4
JackPurvis
Ultra Member

GARY
How about the Golden Corral with Steve.
Can someone suggest time and date?
Jack
Old 12-20-2007, 04:57 AM   #5
TheOleSeagull
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOleSeagull View Post
Hi Jack, Sounds like a great idea. Why not have the Board of Aldermen and the Mayor sponsor a couple of public forums to do just the type of thing you mentioned? During the off season a theatre should be available for such a purpose. It might also tie in the with the public survey program that is going to take place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackPurvis View Post
GARY How about the Golden Corral with Steve.
Can someone suggest time and date?
Jack
Jack, If we want to obain maximum public benefit and input may I suggest that we need some additional time and information.

As an example, When you discussed the idea with the Mayor and your fellow aldermen, did they have any suggestions for a date that would best fit their schedule? Did they have any addtional topics they wanted added to the list? Does the city support such a public forum

Is the Golden Corrall the best place to hold a public forum of this sort? Have any of the other public officials who would have input if some of the topics are to be effectively presented and discussed been polled to see about their availability?. i.e. County Commission, Taneycomo Bridge issue, School Administrators to discuss the manner in which taxes are levied, etc.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:16 AM   #6
SnowyRiver

Great Idea...
However, I do not believe POSTIVE ideas only. There is a misconception of POSITIVE...when it gets in the way of REAL communication. POSITIVE is on one end of the spectrum...NEGATIVE is on the other end of the spectrum.
What we need is REAL communication...there IS a difference.
Anyone can be a critic is also a bit of a myth. NO, not everyone can be a critic...only those with the fortitude to speak out can be a CRITIC. There seems to be a real shortage of those who will SPEAK OUT!
If there will be REAL communication, I would attend...if it is another politically correct love fest...you can count me out.
Now, please understand, many solutions are available...BUT...only if folks will LISTEN with open minds.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:56 AM   #7
Branson EDGE
Branson EDGE

Jack,

Since you've established a desire.need to have a gathering where we can discuss politics - I think it would be appropriate for you to set an agenda.

Groman has posed some good questions but its up to you to set the stage and pose the questions you want public input on.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:09 PM   #8
JackPurvis
Ultra Member

Gary
I have not discussed a forum concept with any officials.
I am thinking that we need a venue with public ownership and free expression,
I am not set on the Golden. You guys jump in here with your ideas PLEASE.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:16 PM   #9
JackPurvis
Ultra Member

Snowy
I trust you have some ideas about what can happen to make a better community as do others in Branson, Please don't think I want to muzzle anyone.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:18 PM   #10
JackPurvis
Ultra Member

Mellie
Please share your idea about a meeting place. I am open and wanting your input.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:01 PM   #11
Grizzly
in perpetual hybernation

Jack,

I am pretty sure I can supply a theater if you want me to try.
I will try to call you tomorrow

Bob

Old 12-20-2007, 10:04 PM   #12
JackPurvis
Ultra Member

Now we are talking. Now how about some dates folks? While we are at it any special topic?
Thanks Griz.
Jack
Old 12-21-2007, 04:15 AM   #13
TheOleSeagull
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOleSeagull View Post
Hi Jack,

Sounds like a great idea. Why not have the Board of Aldermen and the Mayor sponsor a couple of public forums to do just the type of thing you mentioned? During the off season a theatre should be available for such a purpose. It might also tie in the with the public survey program that is going to take place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branson EDGE View Post
Jack,

Since you've established a desire.need to have a gathering where we can discuss politics - I think it would be appropriate for you to set an agenda.
Groman has posed some good questions but its up to you to set the stage and pose the questions you want public input on.
Without the active participation of other elected officials and others with the power to effect change this will not be as effective as it could be. If its a political and election tool thats one thing, then you are absolutely correct but if its to be truly a public forum broader participation in terms of agenda, planning, and participation, etc. would appear to be appropriate. In doing research for an article yesterday, I did not get the impression that was the case at this point. For what it matters, the Ole Seagull would suggest that any effort made to avoid even the appearance of the proposed public forum being used as a tool in a re-election campaign rather than a vehcile to effect meaningful change within our community would be well spent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackPurvis View Post
Gary
I have not discussed a forum concept with any officials.
I am thinking that we need a venue with public ownership and free expression, I am not set on the Golden. You guys jump in here with your ideas PLEASE.
See above as to importance of other public officials. To me the venue is important in terms of being able to handle the size of the anticipated audience. Based on recent meetings, I have not noticed any problems with free expression.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:32 AM   #14
pamlet
Super Ultra Member

One thing I'd like to suggest - is that it be planned well .. AND publicized well. We had a "movement" here to incorporate out little town - and hardly anyone knew about it. I finally heard about it by the third meeting .. and I'm VERY active in the community ... a little notice in the paper won't do it ..
Old 12-21-2007, 05:37 PM   #15
VerdigrisRafter

Gosh all, If it is a community meeting why not meet at the new convention center...there should be ample room there

Closed Thread