1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Miscellaneous Topics > 1Branson.com Welcome & Board How-to's

Old 04-13-2005, 11:33 AM   #1
bgroman
Administrator

If you have a business you want to promote: READ THIS!

Welcome to 1Branson.com!

If you’d like to promote your business here, reading this is a great first step. I will explain below the right ways and the wrong ways to go about informing the community here about your business. But first let me explain what 1Branson.com is.

What is 1Branson.com?

1Branson.com is an online community of people wanting to make the most of their time and money when taking a vacation. This is accomplished primarily via the message board where users post everything from questions they need answered, reviews and opinions of hotels, restaurants and attractions they’ve experienced, to news and rumors about what’s going on in that favorite destination. All of this helps people easily get the answers they need so that they get the most out their vacation.

Wrong Ways

Shilling: verb: acting as a shill; noun: a decoy who acts as an enthusiastic customer in order to stimulate the participation of others.

An example of shilling on the message board is when a person wanting to promote their business registers and then acts like “one of the gang, just another board member” and posts comments praising and talking-up this business. This is probably one of the biggest no-no’s I can think of on several different levels, but it all boils down to one factor: It’s dishonest – it’s misusing the trust of the users here. Not only is that bad for the users here, but it can backfire and cause people to avoid your business. Many users have been using message boards for years and can spot a shill easily. If people even suspect that it is going on, they will pose questions in the thread to try and expose the dishonesty, and worse, talk about those suspicions via PM (private messaging) where it can spread like a wildfire from user to user without the shill even knowing about it. They would ask themselves, “Why does that business need to resort to that? Is it a low quality business that can’t get good reviews from actual customers?”. Given the questionable benefit and the huge risk of backfire, this is one method you should avoid at all cost.

Posting ads in the forums – This isn’t allowed, and at best will be moved/deleted. This irritates users and makes your business look inconsiderate. Not the image you want to portray.

Spamming – either in the forums or via PM. If you have a lodging business don’t just hang around looking for posts to reply to in the lodging forum where you can paste your answer “My hotel would be perfect for you. We have great rates and can be reached at 555-1234”. We’ve actually had people pull up threads from years ago just to promote themselves. Again, inconsiderate and leaves a bad taste in the mouths of the very people you are trying to get your message to. Spamming via PM, I would hope that goes without saying, but I’ll say it anyway: Don’t to it! Just like spamming via email only worse.

Right Ways To Promote Your Business

Introduce yourself – Post a message like “Hi! I’m with [insert your business here]. I’ll be checking in from time to time, if have any questions I can answer about [insert your business here] or our area feel free to ask or PM.”. People appreciate honesty and especially like being able to communicate with locals to get questions answered.

Participate – again, helps build trust. When you are helpful on the message board, you show that promoting your business is not your only goal. If you are friendly and helpful on the board, people might actually think that your business is as well.

Use your signature – when PARTICIPATING, every message you post can have a brief note (don’t be obnoxious with this feature using bold and big fonts) below the post with a link to your site and contact info. Helps people associate you helpfulness with your business.

Make sure your business is listed correctly – We’ve just started to expand on 1Branson by adding directory information and other helpful info for visitors. An example for Branson would be: http://www.1branson.com Go to the appropriate category(ies) and check your listing, if it isn’t there or needs to be modified let us know. If you are interested in other (free) ways to increase your business’ exposure on 1Branson.com, just use the Contact Us link at the bottom of this page.

If you’ve read this far, you’ll probably do OK! If you have any questions, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of this page. Look forward to seeing you in the forums.

Basil Groman

Last edited by bgroman; 04-05-2006 at 03:44 PM.
bgroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 03:35 PM   #2
jaf4ever2007
Dr. Bransonman 101

I work for a business and want to get the word out but dont want to offend anybody!
jaf4ever2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 03:42 PM   #3
bgroman
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaf4ever2007
I work for a business and want to get the word out but dont want to offend anybody!
Send me a PM (Private Message) with the details. I'll see what I can do to help.

Basil
bgroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 10:02 PM   #4
yellowjeepster
Yes, I am a Woman!

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaf4ever2007

I'm already offended. Please stop posting unless you are truly interested in Branson and not here just to advertise.
yellowjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 06:42 AM   #5
jakwi
Super Ultra Member

This is a change that is long overdue. Thank you.
jakwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:29 AM   #6
stlsports4ever
Super Brason Man

I do agree with you, I work for a mortgage company and I like to spread the word but I do go to Branson about 4 times a year at least. I dont know why all the anger but I do agree that reading this on EVERY blog gets old after awhile. And you can say what you will, but I do really love Branson and have been on this board longer than many and a lot of you...

Mr. Mike
stlsports4ever is offline   Reply With Quote