1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Living in Branson > Local Branson / Tri-Lakes Area Issues

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 07:48 PM   #16
ggh
Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bransoncutie View Post
And then we're back to why? Why do so many lodging establishments, many of them top-notch facilities, not have a business license? I can see some of the smaller ones letting it slip through the cracks. But some of the other, in some cases big name, facilities are real puzzlements.
Why? Because the city has not bothered to enforce the need for it...
Old 11-09-2018, 10:00 PM   #17
can'tcatchup
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Also, can'tcatchup - Hampton Inn must have taken care of their business license as they are no longer on the list as of a couple of minutes ago.
I really can’t say that I was terribly worried, but it’s good to know that they are off the list. Thanks! I just now looked at the list again and it is considerably shorter than it was the other time that I looked at it.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:51 AM   #18
ggh
Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotJLB View Post
If that is the story, why not report it that way?
… I don't know that it's the case at all, I am making a presumption, but if no one has ever been fined for being w/o the license, it's not a big concern to the hotel owners.

If I understand correctly, 3 inspections are required to get a business license. It's possible the logistics of a business obtaining the inspection is partially to blame - is there just one person per department who does inspections?

As a customer, I've never gone into a business in Branson and asked to see their business license prior to doing business with them. If customers aren't enforcing the need for the business license, it's up to the city to enforce their requirement of inspection to obtain the license.

I think there's been an audit, and it was realized there is missing $$ in the coffers because the licenses haven't been paid - so it's time to enforce the law.

Just my take.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:19 AM   #19
OkieAnon

just my opinion but this has nothing to do with some super secret plans to shut down hotels in Branson like the Hilton's ect. Having read the application form...

http://www.cityofbranson.org/Documen...ion-PDF?bidId=

... this is about getting control of those extended stay dumps that are showing up, like ggh said they had no reason to enforce it before but now they do.

the application states on it how no license will be issued until all inspections and permits have been approved. how many of those places will pass all the fire, health, building codes and show proof of taxes paid? the places you see disappearing from the list was never about the 300.00 or whatever the price was they could pay that easily, it took time I imagine for the inspections to be completed.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:45 AM   #20
bransoncutie
Spectacular Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggh View Post
… I don't know that it's the case at all, I am making a presumption, but if no one has ever been fined for being w/o the license, it's not a big concern to the hotel owners.

If I understand correctly, 3 inspections are required to get a business license. It's possible the logistics of a business obtaining the inspection is partially to blame - is there just one person per department who does inspections?

As a customer, I've never gone into a business in Branson and asked to see their business license prior to doing business with them. If customers aren't enforcing the need for the business license, it's up to the city to enforce their requirement of inspection to obtain the license.

I think there's been an audit, and it was realized there is missing $$ in the coffers because the licenses haven't been paid - so it's time to enforce the law.

Just my take.
But I do know that, in the past, venues of all sorts have indeed been fined for not having a business license.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:42 AM   #21
ggh
Super User

Quote:
But I do know that, in the past, venues of all sorts have indeed been fined for not having a business license.
It would seem - from the outside looking in - that the city thought the 'easy way' to condemn some of the business' who were not conforming and providing safety that would meet required inspections, was to enforce the law. A few non suspect business' have been caught in the cross fire.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:51 AM   #22
biscuitcreek
Super Ultra Member

It seems as though by doing it this way the city is trying to avoid the appearance of discrimination by enforcing the laws across the board for all types of lodging.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:45 PM   #23
Airforce Dad

Thumbs down Motel Closiings

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotJLB View Post
Yup. What we've been saying . . . This is not about substandard lodging facilities; it is about not having a business license . . . and there is something more to this since so many reputable lodging facilities don't have one.
How will this affect someone that books through a travel site such as hotwire or priceline? There is no way that they could be aware of this situation.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:59 PM   #24
ggh
Super User

There's sure a mixed bag of remaining properties who need to get their license - or go out of business! Wonder how many of those who remain on this list will make it through the winter intact?

Closed Thread