1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Living in Branson > Welcome Wagon

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 10:40 AM   #1
tortminder
Mobile Methane Generator

Lightbulb Semi-retiring to Branson-looking for input

My wife, 10 year old grandson and myself will be moving to the Branson area as soon as we can sell our Illinois home.

I have a fairly decent retirement income, so I will not be seeking regular employment, but by training I am a paralegal/Social Security Disability Advocate/private investigator, ( I currently freelance with a number of North Suburban Chicago attorneys).

I am also trained in video production, (including re-production/production,[both in front of and behind the camera], and post production/editing) and marketing.

My question, (directed to those most familiar with the Hollister/Branson/Rockaway Beach/Forsyth area), is whether there might be sufficient client base in this area to support a small part-time practice.

Or, I could just go drown worms in Lake Tanycomo!
Old 01-14-2014, 11:57 AM   #2
tortminder
Mobile Methane Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotJLB View Post
attorney?
No, paralegal/investigtator & social security disability advocate, (think Paul Drake to Perry Mason).
Paralegal certificate from Boston College, prior peace officer. you do not need to be an attorney to advocate in front of Social Security law judges, ( there are Federal SS hearings in Springfield).
Old 01-14-2014, 04:40 PM   #3
tortminder
Mobile Methane Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotJLB View Post
Oh yeah.

Smalltime practice of what?
legal document services; Social Security disability advocacy, (filing of claim through resolution); investigative services; estate and advance directive for healthcare & finances counselling.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:06 PM   #4
DalmatianDad
aka - DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortminder View Post
legal document services; Social Security disability advocacy, (filing of claim through resolution); investigative services; estate and advance directive for healthcare & finances counselling.
Your situation sounds a bit like mine did. I wanted to start a financial planning service on a part time basis. Found that to be impossible to do part time. Tried a hourly consultation service. That didn't work because the people that need it don't know they need it and I didn't feel like convincing them (advertising) Finally found my niche managing several portfolios which still ended up being full time, but I love it, so I'm happy.
If I were you I'd call a few law offices to see what services they contract out. Likely lots of work around, but maybe lots of people doing it. It shouldn't be too tough to get your name around as a go to guy for these services. Just a prediction, but I think Obamacare will lead to lots of work for guys like you.
I don't know how well you know the area, but as important as your job is finding the right place to hang your hat. For every great place to live, I'd say there are 2 bad ones. The problem is, the bad ones are not all easy to spot. We looked full time for six months before finding something. The good news is that nowadays the price is right.
Good luck.

Tweet others as you would like to be tweeted.

Last edited by DalmatianDad; 01-14-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:53 PM   #5
tortminder
Mobile Methane Generator

Talking Thanks for the feedback

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it. I am not looking for anything full time as I have earned my "worm drowning" leisure. I will check further once we get the move made and I have had an opportuinity to harass the local fish population for a bit.

Closed Thread