1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Miscellaneous Topics > Just for Chit Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 08:25 AM   #1
MelanieHamilton
Super Ultra Member

Branson Area Weather Warnings

Well, I don't think we need to concern ourselves about weather warnings, in the Branson area. Around 1:45am, the weather radio went off... Thunderstorm Warning. At 2-something the weather radio went off... Thunderstorm Warning. At 3-something, the weather radio went off... Thunderstorm Warning. DH and I both jumped up and ran in the dining room (where the radio is) and we both said, "Turn that *%+* thing OFF". I mean, come on... it's a THUNDERSTORM!

So, we turned it off and then both cell phones started ringing, simultaneously... CODE RED CALL... Thunderstorm Warning. THEN, just as I closed my eyes, again, KSPR Text Alerts started coming in... DING-DING... DING-DING.

So, I'm thinking if they do all of this for a THUNDERSTORM, I am not the least bit concerned about tornado warnings.

I guess I'd better turn the radio back on, now. It does concern me... if they irritate people to the point that they turn the radio off, because it's only a thunderstorm... they can't be warned of a tornado, because the radio is turned off. What ya gonna do?

~ Lewis Carroll... "Alice in Wonderland"

Last edited by MelanieHamilton; 05-01-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:34 AM   #2
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

When you program your machine, it's asks you what you want to be alerted for.
Thunder storms
Tornadoes
and several other emergency alerts.

Or...''ALL''.....

Choose only Tornadoes.

Your machine will have a read out on the top and you can lay in bed and listen to the alert as well..it speaks to you. Gives you the alert, the nature of the alert and the areas. I have mine set for my general areas...Texas, Wright, Howell, Dent, Shannon, Pulasky and Phelps Co's....not all in the state.

Last edited by Cheesecake; 05-01-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:43 AM   #3
MelanieHamilton
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post
When you program your machine, it's asks you what you want to be alerted for.
Thunder storms
Tornadoes
and several other emergency alerts.

Or...''ALL''.....

Choose only Tornadoes.

Your machine will have a read out on the top and you can lay in bed and listen to the alert as well..it speaks to you. Gives you the alert, the nature of the alert and the areas. I have mine set for my general areas...Texas, Wright, Howell, Dent, Shannon, Pulasky and Phelps Co's....not all in the state.
REALLY? Well, I will certainly change it for tornado watches/warnings only.

That is a good thing to know, though. We take that radio camping with us. So, if we're sleeping in the teardrop, we want to know about severe thunderstorms. So, we could change it back to "thunderstorms". When we're at home, though... I actually like thunderstorms. I sleep very well (unless the alerts are blasting!". I think I can change my CODE RED alerts to tornado warnings, too.

Thank you for that info! We REALLY need to read the booklet on that thing. I guess I know it works, though.

Last edited by MelanieHamilton; 05-01-2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:45 AM   #4
OkieAnon

times have changed havent they. I remember as a kid going out on the porch with my dad learning what to look for and listen for, now we have all these gadgets that beep, honk, ring and vibrate telling us we're about to die.

we have our phones tuned in to give alerts, ours goes off more than I like but we have them programed for more than just our county, we have them for the county to the west since most of the storms come in from that direction gives us a little more prep time.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:03 AM   #5
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

I think this gadget world is ''stressful''....I remember when the sky was green in MN when I was a small child...we went inside, pulled all 16 shades on the front porch windows down...and went into the living room. My Grandfather got me two bed pillows and I went into the coat closet and hid. I spent a lot of time in that closet...roflol.

In CA it was a different story. We had alerts in Jr High...but they were duck and cover cause in the early 50s the Commies were coming. That siren was terrible.

No one had an earthquake alert tho...and I have been in some real shakers...but you never worry...it just happens...(then you worry)....I remember being in the Tehachipi CA (sp) earthquake in '51...I was a little kid and my Dad and I were at the gas station gassing up and the parking lot looked like it tilted....we raced back to my Aunties house and her big tree had fallen across 3 neighbors back yards....we high tailed it back to MN....only to move out there the following year. (this was a visit in So CA...we moved to Central/No CA ).....the weather was heavenly and it still is....except for earthquakes)...and there obviously is no gadget that will alert you for that...only the tsunami afterward.

I also remember living in CA when I was about 2...when the sirens blew...we had to turn off all the lights, pull down the black window shades and pray the Japanese were not going to bomb Oakland. I still remember that...we went into a huge walk in closet and put on a little light ... to keep little Cheesecake from screaming like a spoiled little kid.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:07 AM   #6
LoveToTravel
Super Ultra Member

You can also set the radio for which counties you want. When I first set up my weather radio at home it was the default settings and it went off for all watches and warnings including for all the surrounding counties. My husband was about to kill me that first night!
Old 05-01-2012, 09:17 AM   #7
Don Baker Sr
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToTravel View Post
You can also set the radio for which counties you want. When I first set up my weather radio at home it was the default settings and it went off for all watches and warnings including for all the surrounding counties. My husband was about to kill me that first night!
Had mine programed for 5 counties that we usually get our weather from.
I finally just shut it off.

Just recently deleted all counties and programed Lubbock county only.

Came in real handy last couple of nights.

I am thinking about including Branson to the radio.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:24 AM   #8
OkieAnon

the other night one of the OKC tv stations was giving away 100 free IPhone weather radio apps, they said it normally cost around 10.00 for the app. Right now it only came for the Iphone they said but would soon be out for the android users.

it sounded kind've neat for traveling, if they put it out for android may get it, way I understood it, it followed you and knew which county you were in and would go off if there was a warning in that county, you didn't have to bother with all the programing whatever state or county you were in it automatically knew and would send a warning to you if there was a storm there.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:02 AM   #9
MelanieHamilton
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToTravel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Baker Sr View Post
Had mine programed for 5 counties that we usually get our weather from.
I finally just shut it off.

Just recently deleted all counties and programed Lubbock county only.
Yeah... I need to change ours to Stone & Taney Counties, only. We set it to pick-up so many miles (can't remember) because we wanted some advance warning. But, here in Branson... so many storms just go north of us and never even come close (which is what happened with the first two warnings, last night). The only CODE RED and text alerts we got, were the third one (which really did hit Branson). So, it's just irritating to have it set so far away.

Here are the SAME CODES for Stone & Taney, in case anyone wants them:

Stone 029209 Branson 162.550 KZZ43 1000
Taney 029213 Branson 162.550 KZZ43 1000

Old 05-01-2012, 10:04 AM   #10
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

I open FB and look for the local Branson and SW weather guy. He (I think it's a he)...is spot on with his forecasting .... he either works for an entertainer or he is an entertainer. You can follow him on Facebook.
Stormdar Weather

Closed Thread