1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Branson Attractions

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2002, 02:54 PM   #16
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

??????

MnTraveler,

This must be very frustrating.....like talking to the wall.....or arguing with yourself, there is no way to win.........no matter if you are totally right.

Old 09-06-2002, 03:23 PM   #17
MNtraveler
Super Ultra Member

I don't mind opinions different from mine being presented... in fact that is what makes bulletin boards like this fun.

What I do object to is statements like this whenever I disagree with the Insider...
Quote:
Thinking like yours is dangerous. We've all been on committees in the past with people who think like you do. Usually most of the members of the committee will end up at a bar later in the day where we laugh at the comments made earlier in the day. As the saying goes, "you be thinkin' too much!" Your intentions are good but you're not capable of seeing the bigger picture. Join a church group. They are loaded with people who think just like you do. Promise us you won't join the Branson Aquarium fact-finding committee?
And then when I poke back with a gentle jest I'm met with...
Quote:
Suggest you retreat and do your research before tossing insults my way.
The Insider dishes it out pretty well but appears unable to take much in return...

Old 09-07-2002, 02:43 PM   #18
bransoninsider
Ultra Member

Wink We're always glad to read your thin opinions.

Quote:
Recently the aquarium changed to using an all-day wrist band so that you can go through the attraction as many times as you would like in a single day. Still not an ideal arrangement, but certainly better than it was. I anticipate this change will increase attendance.
You do huh? Well you are once again WRONG.

In so many ways.

First of all, the Minnesota Zoo subsidy from the State Legislature had to be increased to BUILD and OPERATE the aquarium there. It is still subsidized to this day. Who will subsidize the aquarium in Branson? I maintain that in this day and age, you can't build an entirely private aquarium without some government (i.e., taxpayer) subsidy. THIS POINT SEEMS TO BE LOST ON MNTraveller and others in favor of an aquarium.

And once again, I don't care if the citizens of Branson or Missouri vote to subsidize the aquarium. That is your business, not mine. But I started this whole series of responses to prove to you that IT CAN'T BE DONE WITHOUT SUBSIDY.

As for the Mall of America, regardless of price and admission policy, attendance continues to decline and some of the more exotic specimens have been sold off to other aquariums. This is hardly a good sign for the future of the aquarium.

And you fail to mention that the debt on the aquarium had to be "eaten" by the original developers before anyone would buy it. They first tried to sniff out whether or not there was a government entity to bail them out, but they were in effect told, "Look, we're already supporting one loser aquarium at the zoo with taxpayer dollars. We're not going to do the same at the Mall of America." So who ate the lose? We all did, because the developers will get to take it as a tax loss which offsets the amount of taxes they would have paid from their other successful businesses.

Is there anyone who reads this discussion with the high octane brainpower needed to understand what I am saying here?

Aquariums=subsidy. It is that simple.

the branson insider
Old 09-07-2002, 02:49 PM   #19
bransoninsider
Ultra Member

Talking Should we have a poll?

Quote:
It's always interesting reading your opinion, but of course I think you have your head almost as far up there as you think I have my head!!
Quote:
And then when I poke back with a gentle jest I'm met with...
Does anyone who reads this discussion really think that being told one has their head up their butt, is a gentle jest?

Should we start a poll on this one?

Old 09-07-2002, 03:58 PM   #20
bgroman
Administrator

Re: We're always glad to read your thin opinions.

Quote:
Originally posted by bransoninsider

You do huh? Well you are once again WRONG.

In so many ways.
So sayeth the insider....

Quote:
But I started this whole series of responses to prove to you that IT CAN'T BE DONE WITHOUT SUBSIDY.
The word "prove" seems to be the wrong word when used in this context. More accurate word substitutions might be: insist, maintain, rant, say, babble, ramble etc.

Quote:
Is there anyone who reads this discussion with the high octane brainpower needed to understand what I am saying here?
Probably not, I don't think any of us could reach your level of brain power through natural means.

Silly us, we just looked at the article posted by Jerm and thought "Wouldn't that be neat?"

I can't claim to be well versed on the business side of aquariums. I gathered from this thread that Ripley's has one or more aquariums in other locations. Did they receive subsidies? Are they financially in the hole?

I've seen one article about the difficulties of one aquarium. Hardly what I would call proof of the financial infeasbility of any and all aquariums. And yes I know you didn't say "any and all aquariums", but your comments indicate that there should never be anther aquarium unless the community into which it is going is willing to foot the bill because it will fail.

basil
Old 09-08-2002, 01:42 PM   #21
bransoninsider
Ultra Member

Thumbs up It is up to you how to spend your money.

Basil said...

Quote:
but your comments indicate that there should never be anther aquarium unless the community into which it is going is willing to foot the bill

I would substitute WILL instead of "should."
And I'd add an "o" to anther.

Should is a decision for local residents and possibly for state of Missouri residents to make if it comes to that. If you are willing to subsidize an aquarium, then you should decide this on your own either through the actions of elected officials or by vote.

And again, I don't care what you do.

I merely point out that this is what you will be faced with at some point in the "life of an aqaurium". The subsidy may be asked for upfront before a spade of dirt is turned, or it may come long after it is built and cannot meet the debt service and needs to be bailed out. And it may come in several forms, not necessarily cash. It could be land acquisition, property improvements, roads, parking, utilities, tax increment financing, deferred payment of taxes and payment of site improvements, etc. Or maybe the surrounding school districts will be asked to guarentee purchase of X amount of tickets or hours or visits under the guise of an educational excursion.

I'm sure you are all familiar with this sort of thing having undergone massive road construction in the past. When is a property subsized and when is it totally a private venture? Sometimes these lines of distinction are never all that clear. And neither are the terms 'succeed' and 'fail' as I'm sure you would agree having witnessed some of the things that have gone on before in Branson.

Who wouldn't want the city of Branson build them an attraction, acquire the property, bring in the improvements, pave the parking lot and guarentee a certain percentage of ticket sales TOO? And if the city agreed to do this, even I can come up with an idea that will be equally compelling and convincing as any aquarium would be. I can put together a survey that will predict massive increase in visits and spending too. This is how the game is played. Did anyone read the newspaper article that I included near the top of this thread? Go on the internet and search newspaper databases for aquariums and you will almost always find the phrase, "Attendance fails to me expectations." or something similar.

I'm just alerting you to the pitfalls of aquariums. Water parks are a much safer municipal investment.

Closed Thread