1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Other Destinations

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 11:17 AM   #1
StaceySue

So, I Booked My First Disney Vacation in 20 Years

Yes, we've been discussing it for the last few years. We made reservations last year, but cancelled when the great blizzard came and I realized school would not be out for our dates. It was just as well since the Joplin tornado would've happened while we would've been away.

I haven't been since high school, and my husband and kids have never been. We are taking my parents, too. We decided to rent points and share a two-bedroom villa at Animal Kingdom--Kidani.

We will go in early June instead of late May. Even if we have several snow days, my district likes to be out by the beginning of June so they can have summer school for the month of June. We purchased travel insurance, just in case!

I made ADRs already, and now I just continue to research everything. I hope we will actually be able to go this year. My two-year-old is certainly a Mickey fan, and my DH and older DD will enjoy the Star Wars Weekend, among other things. It fun to dream of Disney during the cold Missouri winter!
Old 12-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #2
pamlet
Super Ultra Member

You'll have a GREAT time! Just got back last night. We spent our first 2 nights at Kidani .. word of warning .. request a room near the bus stop .. The resort is HUGE and my feet were nubs by the end of the first day!
Old 12-19-2011, 07:10 AM   #3
teacherkim
Super Ultra Member

How fun! We're going the last two weeks of June and I will make my first ADR tomorrow! I'm loving Disney planning right now!
Old 12-19-2011, 09:26 AM   #4
ThunderHockeyFan
Super Ultra Member

How exciting! We took our trip in September. We try to go every other year so I am already planning our 2013 trip. Just waiting until I can book this summer. Dates, resort and ADR's already decided on
Old 12-19-2011, 10:00 AM   #5
shis1
Str8fn

OK, gonna show my ignorance here! But what is an ADR? Some kind of 'reservation', I'm assuming.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:47 PM   #6
pamlet
Super Ultra Member

Technically NOT a reservation .. laugh.. it's "Advanced Dining Request" .. it's for table service restaurants ..

The table service places are VERY popular - and you almost HAVE to have an ADR ..

Also - Disney has various dining plans .. and at times of the year offer "free" dining .. ( but it has to be weighed VERY carefully - because it's in conjunction w/booking a room onsite - and purchasing park tickets .. the rooms are generally at "rack" rate - and no room discounts apply..) Also - the dining plans have SO MUCH food ..

I'm at the point that if we do a dining plan next time it will just be the "quick serve" one - no table service .. and if I want a table service (TS) .. I'll just pay it off plan .. The quick serve (or counter service) food is pretty durn good .. and it's large servings ..
Old 12-19-2011, 04:56 PM   #7
shis1
Str8fn

I'm not much of a 'planner', so doubt if we could ever have a successful Disney trip. We've been to Disney World one time, and it was 25 years ago! At that time, we paid less than $1500 for airfare for 4, car with unlimited mileage for 10 days, off park lodging for 10 days and tickets for 4 to all 3 parks (at that time ) and we could go into each park as many times as we wanted. We thought we found a 'heck of a deal'! For that trip, we didn't do a lot of preplanning, just packed our bags and off we went! It just amazes me when I read some of the posts from the 'dedicated Disney fans' about how much preplanning goes into a trip today!
Old 12-19-2011, 06:14 PM   #8
orlandozack

I hope you have a magical time!!! If you need any help around the park feel free to message me on here I work in Disney and I would love to help!!!

Last edited by orlandozack; 12-19-2011 at 07:14 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:53 PM   #9
rjw1991A1
Super Ultra Member

My daughter was there a couple weeks ago with her faience and his mom. they had a great time. I think they went later in the day, and got discounted tickets.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:01 AM   #10
ThunderHockeyFan
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shis1 View Post
I'm not much of a 'planner', so doubt if we could ever have a successful Disney trip. We've been to Disney World one time, and it was 25 years ago! At that time, we paid less than $1500 for airfare for 4, car with unlimited mileage for 10 days, off park lodging for 10 days and tickets for 4 to all 3 parks (at that time ) and we could go into each park as many times as we wanted. We thought we found a 'heck of a deal'! For that trip, we didn't do a lot of preplanning, just packed our bags and off we went! It just amazes me when I read some of the posts from the 'dedicated Disney fans' about how much preplanning goes into a trip today!
Well you know how I plan for Branson just take that times 10 for a Disney trip. I love the planning though. I get depressed when the trip is almost here and everything is done.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:28 AM   #11
shis1
Str8fn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderHockeyFan View Post
Well you know how I plan for Branson just take that times 10 for a Disney trip. I love the planning though. I get depressed when the trip is almost here and everything is done.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:26 AM   #12
pamlet
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderHockeyFan View Post
Laugh - my husband always says I love the planning more than the trip.

Shis - I think OVER planning a Disney trip can happen. It's disappointing when the "plan" doesn't come together..

That's one of the reasons I'm going to REALLY limit table service in the future.. It's a pain in the neck to ensure everyone is where they need to be at the correct time..

I just plan what day we are in what park - and also always purchase park hopper tickets .. in case we get to the park and it's unmanageable .. ( we've had experience with HUGE teenage tour groups .. all in their matching outfits being in a park .. I'm talking 40 or more people all moving in a pack ..)

The other thing I've learned .. don't sweat missing an attraction .. just go with the flow .. AND get to the parks as early in the day as possible .. you get on stuff much easier ..

Some people have it planned to the minute .. I can't do that .. it's too nerve wracking when I don't "meet the plan" ..
Old 12-20-2011, 09:45 AM   #13
ThunderHockeyFan
Super Ultra Member

We do a TS each day and I plan what park we will be in based on EMH's and such. We go in September though so crowds are not that big. We did encounter those "tour groups" for the first time this trip though. We also get park hoppers. There are only two of us so it is much easier to tour. We don't use a touring plan or anything just do what we want when we want to.

We don't take mid day breaks we stay in the parks from opening to closing. We use our TS meals as our breaks.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:09 AM   #14
PatiCake101
Super Ultra Member

Going on a girl's trip to Orlando in April..can't wait!

Pamlet..as you said, one can "overplan"..when we went with my daughter and her family, she had everything planned down to the minute, and if things didn't go as planned, she was SO stressed, which stressed everyone else.
For 10 days we all called her "Little Hitler"... Unfortunately for her, that ruined Disney for her..she says that was the most expensive, miserable vacation she has ever had, she will never go back.
One can have a plan, just don't freak if it doesn't pan out..try later...
Old 12-20-2011, 04:46 PM   #15
shis1
Str8fn

You 'Disney people' have your 'own vocabulary'! (and I mean that in a 'loving' way ---- not criticizing)-----TS, EMH, ADR ----- ?????????

Last edited by shis1; 12-20-2011 at 11:47 PM.

Closed Thread