1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Other Destinations

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 10:37 PM   #16
shis1
Str8fn

It's great that what was at first a dissapointment to you, Mellie, has now turned into a 'better vacation' for the 2 of you. Reading the conversations between you and Stars has convinced me to order some of the literature from the sites you all have visited! THANKS.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:42 AM   #17
gbranmtns
Super Ultra Member

There is a great little restaurant that's not far from there. The web address is www.pattis-settlement.com You should check it out. The pork chops are wonderful.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:44 AM   #18
Cheesecake
Moooooooo

This place is georgeous...and fun to look at on Google Earth.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:29 AM   #19
StarsRUs
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellie View Post
Thanks! I'm glad it turned out the way it did, too.

Be prepared, when you get your literature. I read just about 30-minutes (online) and was convinced that I wanted to go. DH was convinced, immediately.
That's what convinced us. We started reading the literature online about a month ago, after our nephew mentioned 'loving it'.

You could spend 'hours' reading about different things in that area to do with camping, lodging, boating, activities, events, restaurants, site seeing ventures.

They said that it's one of the most popular and populous camping areas in the US. About 2 million visit and stay in the Kentucky/Barkley Lakes area every year...all 52 states are represented and people from around 32 different countries, it's so popular. So they pack the place. From March through November according to their stats. With May and September being the most popular. (Pretty much like every area that offers good camping/boating)

Our first literature should be arriving any day now. It's been 2 weeks since we sent for it. Then sent for others in that area a few days later.

Isn't it just a beautiful place!!! Thanks to all of you who have shared about having gone there.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:43 PM   #20
StarsRUs
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
I just called the Kenlake State Park. We are wanting to make our reservations. BUT, on the campsite details, some list 50-amp electricity...some list 20/30-amp. Our teardrop is 30-amp. It seemed that most of my favorite sites, listed 50-amp (which we can't use).

So, I called the campground to ask if 50-amp was the maximum (and maybe 30-amp was also available). She was SO nice, and she told me that they have updated, and ALL of their sites are 30-amp AND 50-amp...so, they will accomodate any hookup.

DH is off work today, but he went up there to discuss his vacation days. So, by the time he gets back, I will be able to make the reservations. I've chosen the perfect site.

It's not the same site, as the picture that I sent to you, Stars. That site was directly on the lake, and from past experience, lake front sites can get VERY windy. So, I picked a beautiful site, just a few feet from that one. There are lots of trees between the lake and the site, but it's only a few feet, to the lake. The new site I picked, is completely shaded by trees. I'll send you the link.

AWESOME MELLIE!! Love the new site you've choosen too! I can't wait to hear what your DH has to say when he gets back from his 'vacation planning'!!
Old 07-20-2009, 03:09 PM   #21
shis1
Str8fn

Old 07-20-2009, 03:57 PM   #22
StarsRUs
Super Ultra Member

Too !!!!

Old 07-20-2009, 05:28 PM   #23
Ms_Terese
Local Member

Just saw this thread. DH and I camped there en route to Florida a few years ago. We really enjoyed it. Take lots of photos, Mellie!
Old 07-20-2009, 09:31 PM   #24
StarsRUs
Super Ultra Member

Whooo Hoooo...we got our first packet of literature and brochures today. I didn't have time until after dinner to start looking through them.

This packet is for Trigg County, mostly the town of Cadiz. (it's just east of the Lake Berkley SRP.

Fantastic looking small community. A nice amount of Antique Stores and shops.

And a wonderful sounding event, but it's October 9th - 11th. Callled the 33rd Annual Country Ham Festival. Now you know that has to be 'goooood'. Bluegrass Music, Tractor Pulls, Baking and Canning events. My kind of fun!

Can't wait for the next packet to arrive!!

Mellie, that's great that you have your vacation dates all arranged! Good for you! Now the excitement begins...hope the time flies by for you until the dates get here!!
Old 07-20-2009, 09:37 PM   #25
StarsRUs
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
We will, because I've got a scrapbook to make, when I back.
Not just pictures, be sure you collect and save literature to places you go while there. Take pictures of signs, places you eat if you eat out. Even little things like 'twigs' or other natural items from the area. (be sure it's alright, we've camped many places that will 'fine you' for taking anything from their state parks.) I've incorporated all kinds of things like that in scrapbooks.

Anything that pertains to your trip, from the time you pack til you return!
Old 07-23-2009, 11:15 AM   #26
Hoosierdaddy
Future resident

Mellie, I'm glad your plans are coming together like they are!

TW
Old 07-24-2009, 08:56 AM   #27
StarsRUs
Super Ultra Member

Mellie,
DH and I used to have mountain bikes. We loved it. Rent some on your vacation, maybe even two times, a few days apart, and see how you like it.

If you've never mountain biked before, rent for just a few hours the first time, (you'll probably be sore afterwards, if you go on any rough terrain). Or just ride them around the park for the first time, to get use to them, and go on the beginner's trails. It's 'great exercise' and great for being out and about on the trails.

AND....we received 3 more packets of literature yesterday...Whooo Hooo. Some great stuff. One is from the Paducah Chamber, with a lot of nice information. A calendar of events for everything taking place there through Dec 2009. A pretty nice map of the area too.

Have you received any yet?
Old 08-12-2009, 10:37 AM   #28
biscuitcreek
Super Ultra Member

Are you counting the days yet?
Old 08-12-2009, 01:31 PM   #29
StarsRUs
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
I got my Kentucky Lake Visitor's Guide, yesterday afternoon. DH and I were looking through it, this morning. I sure am getting excited!

Glad yours arrived so you would have time to browse it and make some final plans.

Ours came about 10 days ago. We've gotten so many brochures and booklets now, that they will no longer fit into the large manilla envelope I was keeping them in, so had to find a small box for them.

I think I went on every town's website in the entire area surrounding the LBL, and signed up for travel information.

Great looking area, isn't it. I'll bet you are getting excited, specially if this is your first bigger camping trip. Bet when you get home, you'll have already been planning the next one!

And we found out the other day that some friends of ours have a sister, BIL and family living just 35 minutes north of there. Would that be awesome or what.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:35 PM   #30
StarsRUs
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Yes, that would be awesome! I have a feeling that this is going to be a yearly trip. If it's half as great a place a I think it is, we'll be going again!

She said that they've been there many, many times over the years and it's awesome. That they usually go down to LBL for an all day picnic and canoe trip when they go over.

I told her we would be more than happy to go with them when they do!

You'll have a blast, I'm positive of it!

Closed Thread