1 Branson. com MO Forum

Welcome to 1 Branson. com

Go Back   1Branson.com > Branson Vacation Information & More > Other Destinations

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 07:26 PM   #1
Jalva2
Super Ultra Member

Magic Kingdom set to break attendance records next week?

Well, I'm dreaming of Disney again!

Sounds like the annual spring peak season is upon WDW:

From the WDW Magic forums:

The Magic Kingdom may be about to break it's attendance record next week as guests head to the resort for the Easter break. The Magic Kingdom is scheduled to be operating it's maximum opening hours.

Beginning on Sunday (and for the remainder of the week), the park will be opening at 7am for resort guests and closing at 1am, with 5 days of the Easter period having a resort guest closing time of 3am.

For regular guests, there are 7 days of 1am closings, and 11 days of 8am openings.

The upshot of all of this is that on some days, the park will be operating from 7am until 3am, and opening back the next morning at 7am. By the time you factor in late leavers and early arrivals, the hours begin to look more like 6am to 4am, with just a 2 hour downtime in between days.

Just 2 hours downtime in between park days! Wish I could be there! (Well, actually I wish I could be there in about 4 weeks, when the crowds have dropped back to a more manageable size!)
Old 04-03-2009, 07:18 AM   #2
LoveToTravel
Super Ultra Member

We were in WDW just 2 weeks ago and are already dreaming about another trip either next year or in 2011. It was pretty crowded then (180 minute waits for Soarin' and Toy Story Mania in the standby line for example) so I can only imagine what Easter week is going to be like. Wish I was there too!
Old 04-03-2009, 07:40 AM   #3
JoseyWales

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToTravel View Post
We were in WDW just 2 weeks ago and are already dreaming about another trip either next year or in 2011. It was pretty crowded then (180 minute waits for Soarin' and Toy Story Mania in the standby line for example) so I can only imagine what Easter week is going to be like. Wish I was there too!
Heard that there are two hour waits for rides at Six Flags too. At that rate, you cant ride very many rides and makes your tickets VERY expensive. What a racket that is? I know SDC is like that on some days too. So you might ride 3 things for $52...whoa...

Also heard Six Flags close to bankruptcy. Cant imagine why if they are packing them in like that?

I guess the economy is not bad enough to limit visits YET. Hope that keeps up honestly. Cannot see how it can in light of the world mess and borrowing rates.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:54 AM   #4
Jalva2
Super Ultra Member

The spring break/Easter period is one of the busiest times annually at WDW. You really can't expect to get a lot of attractions ridden without a really good touring plan at that time. Still, there's a lot more to the parks than just the rides. Plenty of ways to have an awesome time even when the parks are that heavily attended.

LoveToTravel, I'm hoping to get down to WDW next year, but it may be 2011 for us also. I'm surviving on guidebooks and podcasts in the meantime!
Old 04-03-2009, 08:53 AM   #5
MNtraveler
Super Ultra Member

We went to WDW during Easter week once and it was jammed. Three of the days they closed the Magic Kingdom to people not staying on-site because it had reached capacity.

When things got too crowed in the other parks we would always head for Epcot. Epcot is so huge that it doesn't seem to suffer from crowds as much as the others. Especially in the World Showcase, you can almost always find something of interest without much of a wait.

In a little over three weeks from now, we will be at WDW for a week when our daughter gets married in Orlando. We can't wait!!

Good Times in Branson
Old 04-03-2009, 09:57 AM   #6
Jalva2
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
We went to WDW during Easter week once and it was jammed. Three of the days they closed the Magic Kingdom to people not staying on-site because it had reached capacity.

When things got too crowed in the other parks we would always head for Epcot. Epcot is so huge that it doesn't seem to suffer from crowds as much as the others. Especially in the World Showcase, you can almost always find something of interest without much of a wait.

In a little over three weeks from now, we will be at WDW for a week when our daughter gets married in Orlando. We can't wait!!

Have a great trip, MNTraveler! Yep, from what I've read, Easter/Spring Break and the period between Christmas and New Year's are the worst crowds of the year at WDW.

Your Epcot advice is great as well. The size of the park does help disperse the crowds, particularly in the Showcase area. Now, I wouldn't expect to ride Soarin or Test Track or Mission:Space without enormous lines, but that's going to be true everywhere on property at that time. Epcot's definitely the best park for high capacity days.

Looks like Disney is in the midst of a lot of cost restructuring to meet with the times, but from the sound of it all they're still making a lot of money and attracting a lot of visitors. Just not as many as they need to keep those profit numbers in line with past periods.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:02 AM   #7
JoseyWales

Whats really funny about this post is that we as Americans or people, have to go to a theme park to take a "ride" to try and experience some fake form of adventure. That is the lazy mans way to experience something ......

Does anyone else see the hilarity in that> Just thot of it.
There are still canoe trips, camping adventures, scuba diving, sailing trips, and a myriad of things that ppl can experience first hand but we CHOOSE to pay someone to give us a fake trip, etc. That is too funny.

I guess it goes hand in hand with x-box and how kids dont get outside and do things much anymore. I dont recall my mother ever LETTING us in the house before dark. hah
Old 04-03-2009, 10:22 AM   #8
Jalva2
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseyWales View Post
Whats really funny about this post is that we as Americans or people, have to go to a theme park to take a "ride" to try and experience some fake form of adventure. That is the lazy mans way to experience something ......

There are still canoe trips, camping adventures, scuba diving, sailing trips, and a myriad of things that ppl can experience first hand but we CHOOSE to pay someone to give us a fake trip, etc. That is too funny.

I guess it goes hand in hand with x-box and how kids dont get outside and do things much anymore. I dont recall my mother ever LETTING us in the house before dark. hah
And we also pay to go sit for hours in a movie theater to watch someone else live an exciting life, or we do it from the comfort of our own couch while watching television.

Disney entertains, it educates, it brings people together, it inspires. It excites imaginations (Magic Kingdom), fosters creativity (Disney's Hollywood Studios), and promotes understanding (Epcot, Disney's Animal Kingdom).

All of this while providing a beautiful setting for getting away from it all.

Is it for everyone? Of course not. Neither are canoe trips and camping.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:29 AM   #9
MNtraveler
Super Ultra Member

Quote:

Have you ever BEEN to WDW? I would guess not. WDW is not all about the rides. In fact if a person went there just for amusement park type rides they would probably be very disappointed. If that is what you want, go to Universal's Islands of Adventure.

Can you canoe at WDW? Yes. Camp? Yes. Scuba Dive? Yes. Sail? Yes.

Pretty clearly you have never been there. Here is a list of things you can do at the Fort Wilderness Resort and Campgrounds:

Quote:
What other recreational activities are available at FW?

There are so many fun things to do at FW that some campers never leave the resort. Activities/facilities include:

* Two lighted tennis courts - complimentary equipment available for resort guests at the Bike Barn. Open 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. daily.

* Nightly wagon rides at Pioneer Hall at 7 and 9:30 p.m.- Cost $8 adults, $5 children. Depending on Magic Kingdom hours, the later ride stops at the marina and beach so guests can see the Magic Kingdom fireworks with the music piped in from the park.

* The Archery Experience - Whether novice or expert marksman, an archery guide offers training and tips on how to hit the bulls-eye. Open to resort guests and non-guests alike, the 90-minute experience costs $25 (plus tax) per person, includes equipment and instruction and can be booked up to 90 days in advance by calling 407/939-7529. Offered Thursday, Friday and Saturday afternoons.

* Private carriage rides - Cost $35/half-hour. Call (407) 824-2832 to reserve (reservations suggested, not required). Depart from Crockett's Tavern at Pioneer Hall between 6 p.m. and 10 p.m. nightly. See Carriage Rides HERE for more info.

* The Wilderness Back Trail Adventures Tour - Hop on a Segway for Disney's Wilderness Back Trail Adventure, a nature tour like no other. You'll be cruising on your own Segway X2 Personal Transporter as you glide through the pristine Florida landscape in and around Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground. No experience is necessary; training is provided before the tour. It lasts 2 hours and costs $85 per person (includes tax).

* Pony rides from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. for children 2-8 years old, weighing no more than 80 pounds - Cost $4

* Bicycle rental: $7.54 plus tax/1/2 hour, $20.75 plus tax/day. Surrey Bike (2-seater): $16.90 per 1/2 hour. (Prices are estimates, call the Bike Barn at (407) 824-2742 for current pricing.)

* Fishing in canals (free) or chartered largemouth bass fishing excursions on Bay Lake, which include a professional guide, refreshments (soft drinks, coffee, hot chocolate & water), fishing gear and a dozen shiners. See our Fishing Excursions page HERE.

* Sand volleyball court near Meadow Trading Post

* Horseshoes and shuffleboard

* Basketball and tetherball courts throughout the resort

* Two arcades - Davy Crockett Arcade at Pioneer Hall (near Settlement Depot) is open 7 a.m. to midnight. Daniel Boone Arcade (near Meadow Trading Post) is open 7:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.

* Two heated outdoor swimming pools

* White sand beach

* Rental watercraft at Fort Wilderness Marina (open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily) including: 21' Suntracker pontoons ($34.74/half hr), must be 18 to drive; Mercury Water Mice ($21.59/half hour; $27.23/45 minutes; $30.05/one hour), must be 12 and 5 feet tall to drive. Parent or guardian signature required for all drivers 12-18 years old. At the Bike Barn: canoes, kayaks and paddle boats ($6.13 plus tax/1/2 hour; $10.38 plus tax/hour) (Prices are estimates, call the Bike Barn at (407) 824-2742 for current pricing.)

* Water skiing, wakeboarding - starting at $140/hour with a 5-guest maximum

* Parasailing: See our Parasailing page HERE.

* Tri-Circle D Ranch - home of the draft horses used to pull the trolleys down Main Street USA, featuring a blacksmith shop

* Swamp Trail - 3/4 mile loop along the shore of Bay Lake

* FW Exercise Trail - 2.3 mile paved and sand path

* Electrical Water Pageant - nightly at 9:45 p.m. at the FW beach and marina
Source: http://allears.ne/acc/faq_fw.htm

And that is just ONE of Disney's many resorts.

Good Times in Branson
Old 04-03-2009, 10:30 AM   #10
LoveToTravel
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
Heard that there are two hour waits for rides at Six Flags too. At that rate, you cant ride very many rides and makes your tickets VERY expensive. What a racket that is? I know SDC is like that on some days too. So you might ride 3 things for $52...whoa...

Also heard Six Flags close to bankruptcy. Cant imagine why if they are packing them in like that?

I guess the economy is not bad enough to limit visits YET. Hope that keeps up honestly. Cannot see how it can in light of the world mess and borrowing rates.
We use Fast Pass as much as possible and that really cuts down on the waiting. I wonder if Six Flags has something like Disney's Fast Pass...
Old 04-03-2009, 10:35 AM   #11
LoveToTravel
Super Ultra Member

Quote:

A Disney vacation is much more than riding things. We swim, shop, dine, rent boats, build sand castles.... You can even para-sail at Disney World if you want. My daughter's disability limits our vacation choices and Disney is one of the few places that accommodates her needs. The smile on her face is all the reality I need to know it isn't a "fake" trip.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:41 AM   #12
JoseyWales

I get that part for sure. Was not meant specifically..statement of how we have become ...
Old 04-03-2009, 10:52 AM   #13
Jalva2
Super Ultra Member

On the "how we have become" part, the oldest of the Disney parks opened in 1955. It's packed them in the entire time. Not sure that anyone's really changed in that regard since the Disney parks have been widely loved for more than half a century now.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:53 AM   #14
JoseyWales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalva2 View Post
On the "how we have become" part, the oldest of the Disney parks opened in 1955. It's packed them in the entire time. Not sure that anyone's really changed in that regard since the Disney parks have been widely loved for more than half a century now.
OKAY..i give up.."UNCLE"/////good grief.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:58 AM   #15
LoveToTravel
Super Ultra Member

Quote:
I get that part for sure. Was not meant specifically..statement of how we have become ...
I do understand what you are saying. My nephew, once loved playing outdoors, we can now barely get him out of the house and away from his Wii. I guess that is a topic for another thread.

Jalva, is the Poly your favorite Disney resort? We stayed there last year and wish we could always stay there! This year we stayed at Caribbean Beach but we love that resort too. Actually I haven't met a Disney resort that I don't love.

Closed Thread